Cinematic Universes are cool, so, I guess this makes sense...

Entertainment

Found 14 posts - Go to Last Post

Nerdist.com broke out a little update about a new cinematic universe in the works: Hasbro 1980s Toys Cinematic Universe.

Let that sink in for a minute. Hasbro and Paramount are actually, seriously, legitimately hiring screen writers to come up with a way to create a single, cohesive film franchise incorporating:

G.I. Joe -> OK, we have seen them on film. Movies aren't the greatest, but, whatever, you can try again, sure.
M.A.S.K -> Oh, I see where you're going, Cobra and VENOM, yeah, they could be a team, I see it, GI JOE and MASK, that works, like a super elite squad of a super elite squad. OK...
ROM: The Space Knight -> Judge Dredd meets Robocop meets The Terminator (but a good guy), interesting, a bit out there, but, maybe
Micronauts -> Microscopic, sentient, space robots? I am trying really hard to figure that one out and fit it in, but, I don't know, with ROM, maybe...
Visionaries -> WTF??? Aren't they from the future after an apocalypse, but, Earth has reverted to magic, and animals come out of their chest? I remember 7 or 8 or 9 year old futiles liking the toys and the cartoon, but, how in the actual hell do you tie this in with the above?

You know what? Enjoy this, she does a great run down of it...
I honestly thought ROM and Micronauts were Marvel properties because I have some comics. Of course, I know GI Joe and probably the rest too, but I just never put it together those two originated as toys.
I honestly thought ROM and Micronauts were Marvel properties because I have some comics. Of course, I know GI Joe and probably the rest too, but I just never put it together those two originated as toys.
Originally Posted by Kaens
I think Marvel might have done comics for all of those. They had a pretty extensive deal with Hasbro back in the 80s. GI Joe, Transformers, ROM, Micronauts, and I really think I remember MASK and Visionaries comics.
I think Marvel might have done comics for all of those. They had a pretty extensive deal with Hasbro back in the 80s. GI Joe, Transformers, ROM, Micronauts, and I really think I remember MASK and Visionaries comics.
Originally Posted by futiles
Unfortunately your right on the Mask and Visonaries comics, but those were geared toward younger kids, Rom and Micronauts seemed to be the only real comics that was geared a little more toward the older crowed. Mask was a toy then a cartoon then a comic and it was very cartoonish comic if I recap, Johnny come late type of Thing. I really thought it was more Transformers type of universe type of stuff not GI Joe, but those two have crossed over before so why not right.

Those are the ROM issues I have. I collected everything X-Men I could get my hands on and this..

"Returning to Clairton, West Virginia to remedy a mistake he made in freeing several prisoners from incarceration, ROM learns that his nemesis, Hybrid has returned. Further, he has allied himself with several members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants... three of the prisoners that ROM is responsible for freeing! The spaceknight of Galador is forced to take on Mystique, Destiny, Rogue and Hybrid... without anyone to rely upon for aid."

And being X-Men fan, this one should be even more obvious...

Here you go, Mask was put out by DC. If the image doesn't display proper I'll re do it when I get home.

And here is Visionaries produced on Marvels Star imprint and it last only 6 issues...
i think a ROM movie would be cool.
Originally Posted by Preludecris
Individually, I think each of these properties could make an interesting film property. My tongue-in-cheek attitude is more of the idea of trying to force all 5 of these properties into a single, cohesive, interconnected franchise.
Individually, I think each of these properties could make an interesting film property. My tongue-in-cheek attitude is more of the idea of trying to force all 5 of these properties into a single, cohesive, interconnected franchise.
Do you think that's what they want to do right away though? I think a single movie with some well placed cameos or references to the others may be what they initially want to do. I think it would be a horrible idea to try and mash all of those together in one film.. Way to much origin and back story there. Person all I think Micronauts would be an awesome move to start with. I could see it now go through the whole movie and at the end reveals that they were the small characters or they find themselves in a large world.

Just writing this I can kind of see bow they could possibly do a combined movie:
GI Joe is already established so it would be easy to link Mask to them even ROM could fit as a new technology or alien menace? Which could pave the way for Micronauts which could link Visionaries, but Visionares is by far the odd ball here.
Do you think that's what they want to do right away though? I think a single movie with some well placed cameos or references to the others may be what they initially want to do. I think it would be a horrible idea to try and mash all of those together in one film.. Way to much origin and back story there. Person all I think Micronauts would be an awesome move to start with. I could see it now go through the whole movie and at the end reveals that they were the small characters or they find themselves in a large world.

Just writing this I can kind of see bow they could possibly do a combined movie:
GI Joe is already established so it would be easy to link Mask to them even ROM could fit as a new technology or alien menace? Which could pave the way for Micronauts which could link Visionaries, but Visionares is by far the odd ball here.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Well, the whole point of this thread, and the initial article that spawned it, is Paramount and Hasbro hiring writers to create a unified Cinematic Universe based on those five toy lines. So, yes, I think that is what they want to do. No, I don't think they are trying to do a Batman vs Superman train wreck, but, I do see many companies trying really hard to recreate what Marvel has done. And barring time travel (I guess, maybe...), how do the Visionaries (from Earth's distant future) tie in to this other stuff?
Well, the whole point of this thread, and the initial article that spawned it, is Paramount and Hasbro hiring writers to create a unified Cinematic Universe based on those five toy lines. So, yes, I think that is what they want to do. No, I don't think they are trying to do a Batman vs Superman train wreck, but, I do see many companies trying really hard to recreate what Marvel has done. And barring time travel (I guess, maybe...), how do the Visionaries (from Earth's distant future) tie in to this other stuff?
Well that's what I was saying, Visionaries was the odd ball, but the magic of Hollywood I'm sure they could mess it up enough to maybe discount the time travel tweak the story and take liberties with it...maybe make them meta humans or something or bring them from a different dimension? Maybe that would be a segway for the Micronauts as well? I guess well have to see.. Paramount? Do they own the Transformers as well? That could get very interesting if they did.
Well that's what I was saying, Visionaries was the odd ball, but the magic of Hollywood I'm sure they could mess it up enough to maybe discount the time travel tweak the story and take liberties with it...maybe make them meta humans or something or bring them from a different dimension? Maybe that would be a segway for the Micronauts as well? I guess well have to see.. Paramount? Do they own the Transformers as well? That could get very interesting if they did.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Paramount distributes, but ownership is Spielberg/Bay. That doesn't make it insurmountable to wind them together, but, it does add another cog into the negotiations. Hasbro appears to be intentionally trying to keep this in-house (and keep the money), so, that is probably why Transformers wasn't mentioned.

Personally, I would rather see Thundercats and Silverhawks make it to the big screen than Visionaries or Micronauts.
Paramount distributes, but ownership is Spielberg/Bay. That doesn't make it insurmountable to wind them together, but, it does add another cog into the negotiations. Hasbro appears to be intentionally trying to keep this in-house (and keep the money), so, that is probably why Transformers wasn't mentioned.

Personally, I would rather see Thundercats and Silverhawks make it to the big screen than Visionaries or Micronauts.
Funny you should mention Thunder Cats, I believe at one time there was a movie a legit movie being made and Masters of the Universe and not that god awful Dolph Lundgren movie, it was a reboot or update.. I wonder what ever happened to those.. But the movie I was dreading was the live action Gears of War that was being made. I think that's in development hell now though.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account