General Chat

Want to get fit?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 26 (40.63%) Yep

× 8 (12.50%) Nope

× 30 (46.88%) yay, free poll

• Added 05-21-2015 07:08 PM
  • 64 votes
I've joined too many leaderboards.. Sigh that's my one pet peeve is leaderboards and no it's not because I suck and hate to see myself so low on them, (that's entirely acceptable by me..lol) Idk I just kind of hate the clutter. I just removed myself from a ton of leaderboards from around the web. Mostly TA and here, but if this is going to be pertaining to something I'm active in and monitoring, I guess it's a necessary evil.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
At least you're not in last place (like me!!)
Yeah, my doc says stop converting my extra pounds into muscle cause when i eat alot of carbs, i work out right after, while i'm losing some of the weight thats not being converted, i'm not eating healthy (which i really need to start doing)

Joining the leaderboard now.
Originally Posted by BigNev44
I was doing the same thing. It took a bit of 'mind over matter' in order to change the way I eat and how much. I never really paid attention to portion control until lately, and I started drinking a full (8oz-16oz) glass of water about 20 minutes before eating a meal. I find that I eat much less than I used to just by doing that water trick. After a few days, the portions I wanted drastically reduced, and I started leaning out. But thin and flabby is not my goal; I want thin and strong. Try the water trick, and also, increase water intake everyday. I drink about 1.5 to 2 gallons a day, but that's because I am outside working in the heat and under the hoods of hot cars - hydration is mandatory for survival. My other huge fault was drinking calories, whether it be in juice, gatorade, etc... even my daily rockstar was high in calories. I switched to rockstar recovery - no calories, and crystal light singles or similar - again, no calories. I drink maybe a 12 pack of soda per month, and I figured that's acceptable. Also, alcohol has a LOT of calories that are easily consumed and hard to burn (think: beer belly). Thankfully I don't drink, otherwise I'd have to stop that too! Big Grin
At least you're not in last place (like me!!)
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
It was pretty funny that you based it off Kinect games played and the moment I joined I bumped Kaens out of the Number one spot.. not by much mind you but I did.. probably the only time I'll ever be ahead of him on any leaderboard...lol
It was pretty funny that you based it off Kinect games played and the moment I joined I bumped Kaens out of the Number one spot.. not by much mind you but I did.. probably the only time I'll ever be ahead of him on any leaderboard...lol
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I only loaded a bunch of Kinect games on my tag for the badge. They are back on the shelf, which is against the spirit of the leaderboard I suppose.
I only loaded a bunch of Kinect games on my tag for the badge. They are back on the shelf, which is against the spirit of the leaderboard I suppose.
Originally Posted by Kaens
LOl.. Don't worry I think I have a bunch more to still load myself.. I'm thinking about using my Kinect Badge completions..
If you guys are exercising you technically don't need to drop portion size you just need to eat cleaner. Here is a list I have compiled of foods I eat. They way I portion is the size of my fist and eat about 4-5 meals a day.

Good Sources Of Protein:
â—ľEgg - Grand Daddy of all foods. I like to have 1 whole egg for every 3 whites. So breakfast might include 6 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.
â—ľLiquid Egg Whites - This is just pure egg whites. More convenient than cracking all the eggs and discarding the yolk but will cost you a little more.
â—ľSkinless Chicken Breast or Cutlets - Lean, inexpensive, high quality protein; staple of every diet.
â—ľLean Ground Turkey - Lean high quality protein. Little more expensive than chicken breast.
â—ľTop Round Steak - Lean cut of meat. Has more fat than chicken but great source of meat. Definitely something you want to have in the off-season and can be eaten while dieting in moderation.
â—ľFilet Mignon - Tasty lean cut of meat. Expensive but worth it every once in a while.
â—ľBuffalo - Lean red meat, very tasty but super expensive. Give it a try.
â—ľFlounder - Inexpensive lean fish.
â—ľCod - Inexpensive lean fish.
â—ľPollock - Lean fish.
â—ľWild Salmon - Healthy fatty fish. I get my salmon wild because the quality is a lot better but that results in a higher cost.
â—ľCanned Tuna - Lean inexpensive fish. If you worry about your sodium you might want to cut down on this. Make sure you get the one in water not oil.
â—ľTurkey Bacon - Leaner than regular bacon, not something I have all the time but I am a bacon lover so adding this to my breakfast in the off-season is something I like.
â—ľLean Ground Beef - Make sure you get something that is at least 90% lean. This can be a great off-season source of protein.
â—ľCottage Cheese - Slow digesting form of protein. Great for having when you have to go a long time in-between meals and also excellent to have before bed.
â—ľPork Tenderloin - Inexpensive lean protein.
â—ľWild Sea Bass - Lean high quality protein. Expensive side.
â—ľWild Swordfish - Lean high quality protein. Expensive.
Good Sources Of Carbohydrates:
â—ľOatmeal - I like the slow cooked version but the quick one minute is fine. I have oatmeal with my first meal every day. It is a great slow digesting carb.
â—ľSteel Cut Oats - Similar to oatmeal. Slow digesting carb.
â—ľFruit - All fruits are great but some are better than others for different reasons. Blueberries are at the top of the list for antioxidants and bananas are great for post-workout carbs. The majority of them digest faster than complex carbs so they are best used in the AM or pre and post workout.
â—ľVegetables - Like fruit you really can't go wrong when you eat veggies. During the off-season all veggies are great to have but when you are looking to diet I stick with just the green ones as they have less calories and net carbs. Veggies are a great source of fiber. Try to have some in every meal.
â—ľSweet Potatoes/Yams - Tasty slow digesting carb. Add a little Splenda and you will be in heaven.
â—ľBrown Rice - Staple of a slow digesting carb.
â—ľWhite Rice - Faster digesting carb. Not a big fan as I think the brown rice is better overall option but white rice is good to have in the off season as it gives you the ability to bring in the carbs and calories need to grow.
â—ľWhole Wheat Bread - I like to have Ezekiel bread as it is not processed and not made with white flour. Great slow digesting carb.
â—ľCream Of Wheat - Substitute for white rice. Faster digesting carb.
â—ľCream of Rice - Substitute for white rice. Faster digesting carb.
Good Sources Of Fats:
â—ľOlive Oil/Flaxseed Oil - Great source of fat. Great to add to dishes.
â—ľFish Oil - Staple source of healthy fats.
â—ľAlmond Butter/Cashew Butter - Derived from the nuts but a good source of fat.
â—ľAlmonds - Great source of fat and small amount of protein.
â—ľPecans - Great source of fat and small amount of protein.
â—ľWalnuts - Great source of fat and small amount of protein.
â—ľCashews - Great source of fat and small amount of protein.
â—ľNatural Peanut Butter - Not processed. Great source of fat and some protein. Love adding this to my shakes during the day.
â—ľAvocados - Healthy fat source. Love it in my sushi.
Yeah, I have gout "rich man's disease" because I eat all of those stuff you marked as expensive. I like Atkins diet (maybe because my name is Atkins, no relation), and it works for me, but my mother in law (who lives with us) bakes constantly and I grew up never wasting food so you can see where that leads.
Thanks Chris! Eating good foods and in appropriate moderation is one of the greater keys of success here!

I will NOT make it mandatory, but will suggest we all put up a 'before' picture (where we are starting from) on June 1st; then, every first day of the month, we can add an updated picture and see. I will swallow my pride and do it, if only to inspire you folks to.
Well I don't think Preludecris would have any problems posting a pic of himself doing something embarrassing or if he really wanted to a VIDEO of himself..(cough, cough you owe me one anyway, cough, cough)
I was doing the same thing. It took a bit of 'mind over matter' in order to change the way I eat and how much. I never really paid attention to portion control until lately, and I started drinking a full (8oz-16oz) glass of water about 20 minutes before eating a meal. I find that I eat much less than I used to just by doing that water trick. After a few days, the portions I wanted drastically reduced, and I started leaning out. But thin and flabby is not my goal; I want thin and strong. Try the water trick, and also, increase water intake everyday. I drink about 1.5 to 2 gallons a day, but that's because I am outside working in the heat and under the hoods of hot cars - hydration is mandatory for survival. My other huge fault was drinking calories, whether it be in juice, gatorade, etc... even my daily rockstar was high in calories. I switched to rockstar recovery - no calories, and crystal light singles or similar - again, no calories. I drink maybe a 12 pack of soda per month, and I figured that's acceptable. Also, alcohol has a LOT of calories that are easily consumed and hard to burn (think: beer belly). Thankfully I don't drink, otherwise I'd have to stop that too! Big Grin
That is a great tip about the water, will try it out ASAP, I work outside as well and i make sure the company i work for keeps the coolers and Igloos filled with plenty of water especially when we are in 90+ degree weather, my problem is i drink alot of Gatorade, it's not bad but i should drink alot more water.

I don't drink as well but my weakness is soda, Wild Cherry Pepsi while gaming is definitely my weakness but my 2 liter consumption did go down alot.

@Preludecris, Awesome lists and tips as well, making a printout of this page for reference, my wife would love to see this as well.
Nev, you can water down the gatorade too. It's about reducing and managing caloric intake in any way you can.
That is a great tip about the water, will try it out ASAP, I work outside as well and i make sure the company i work for keeps the coolers and Igloos filled with plenty of water especially when we are in 90+ degree weather, my problem is i drink alot of Gatorade, it's not bad but i should drink alot more water.

I don't drink as well but my weakness is soda, Wild Cherry Pepsi while gaming is definitely my weakness but my 2 liter consumption did go down alot.

@Preludecris, Awesome lists and tips as well, making a printout of this page for reference, my wife would love to see this as well.
Originally Posted by BigNev44
After seeing what a coke/soda's acid can do to a penny or a rat I stopped drinking any type of soda, weaned myself off instead of two leaders lasting only a day I made it last a week. The key like Porch said, if you drink a glass of soda then also drink a glass of water. Next week a glass of soda an two glasses of water. I do get cravings for soda every so often now but half a glass and I know why I stopped drinking it. I really barley ever drink even bal a glass of soda now.. You could also substitute the water with Gatorade but even that has a lot of sugar in it.

And if you really want to punish yourself, a glass of milk after every glass of soda.. Anyway the radon for this post is once you get rid of soda in your life, you really don't need or crave it. Oh and I forgot if your prone to upset stomachs or ulcers, the acid in sodas greatly fuel and help ulcers form. There is a alot of good reasons, health reason to just cut sodas out of your life.
I wouldn't mind joining up with you boys. About two month ago, I radically changed my eating habits and I have been slowing working in the exercise portion. I have lost some weight so far but consistent exercise and some encouragement would go a long way.

Mr. pTart and I have been eating according to the "4 hour body" diet. Mr pTart has been this eating plan for over a year and has lot nearly 50 pounds. Two month ago, I decided to join him on this plan. 6 day a week we do not eat any carbs that can be white, sugar of any form, no dairy, and no fruit. We pretty much just eat meat, veggies, beans, and lentils, but on the 7th day, you can eat whatever you like.

My in-laws have also been doing this for year and my father in law has lost about 50 and my mother in law has lost 20. Its been very successful for my family.
So I guess we need a schedule or goal or some sort of time frame a start date or something... Porche? This was your idea, so time to flesh it out for us buddy.. What are we doing? What's the plan?
Hey pTart! You are so very welcome to join. I did that sort of diet back when I was in recovery from my army injury surgeries, and it helped keep the weight down. I got lazy though, and just like you said, lack of encouragement and I plumped up again. I left the army at 230+, and have spent the last few years slowly getting down to the 185-190 I am now. I need that last boost of encouragement to finish it up.

Again, you're welcome to join us, and glad to have you. The more the merrier!
So does this mean we don't have a general outline of how or when to report in or when to start or anything?
I am working on an outline for us that I will post on the 1st. As it goes right now, I am still open to suggestions from the group members on thier expectations from both me and the other members. I don't want to end up being a dictator for the group and I know my goals will vary from everyone elses.

So

In other words, you folks have today and tomorrow to either post your expectations here or in a PM to me. Also, I would suggest that we all maintain a partnership or at least have one or two others 'in charge' to help keep us motivated and honest.
I am working on an outline for us that I will post on the 1st. As it goes right now, I am still open to suggestions from the group members on thier expectations from both me and the other members. I don't want to end up being a dictator for the group and I know my goals will vary from everyone elses.

So

In other words, you folks have today and tomorrow to either post your expectations here or in a PM to me. Also, I would suggest that we all maintain a partnership or at least have one or two others 'in charge' to help keep us motivated and honest.
How about weekly goals. I like the partnering up stuff then those two can push each other. Maybe give a pool of Kinect games and a GS to achieve on those particular games?

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account