Found 14 posts - Go to Last Post

Should GTN have a profanity filter

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 8 (28.57%) Yes. I'd like the option to turn off cursing.

× 8 (28.57%) No. No one should ever be censored on the internet.

× 12 (42.86%) Mind your own fucking business.

• Added 12-08-2014 04:44 AM
  • 28 votes
So I just posted a thread where I cursed several times saying the word "shit". I would prefer I didn't do that, but sometimes I just am too tired to be thoughtful. It would be nice if we had the option to toggle a profanity filter so we could block curse words, just replace them with whatever. I don't agree with the censorship by default, we shouldn't block free speech, but we can help people read only the tirades they want.
I agree with you for the most part. One of my resolutions once New Years hits is to limit my "dirty words" usage. I think George Carlin said it best though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQPCa4JjCA#t=61
I've worked in the concrete industry for 21 years so profanity is the norm for myself and those around me. It would probably get old reading posts that use f*ck or c*nt every other word, but I can't say that it really bothers me. As of now, these forums definitely seem mature enough to handle it with no filter. Now if we end up with an influx of youth that can't type three words without one of them being foul, it may be a different story.

Actually, now that I think about it...the two words I mentioned above are the only ones I try to censor myself from using (99% of the time). Things like shit, piss, ass, etc don't really qualify as foul.
Last edited 12-08-2014 at 02:56 PM by SG Steelhead.
f*ck or c*unt
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
OK, what is the * in the 2nd word replacing?
I agree were all entitle to speak our minds but its not what you say its how you say it
I think that if you are going to type in profanity you should know the origins and original use of these said words.
OK, what is the * in the 2nd word replacing?
Originally Posted by futiles
Hahahaha!! Whoops!

I think that if you are going to type in profanity you should know the origins and original use of these said words.
Originally Posted by Sentimentalnoos
Why? So I can sound like an educated foul mouth rather than a simpleton foul mouth? I'm not about to replace shit with ship high in transit to make myself look "smart" Lol
I think the hardest problem I would face trying to limit cuss words is that I love the song Fucking Hostile by Pantera.
Hahahaha!! Whoops!

Why? So I can sound like an educated foul mouth rather than a simpleton foul mouth? I'm not about to replace shit with ship high in transit to make myself look "smart" Lol
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
There is nothing wrong with being an educated or simpleton foul mouth. Using words correctly these days seems to confuse people is all. Proof that the movie Idiocracy is going to happen someday.
I think the usage of foul language boils down the person and how civil or respectfully they want to be to others. I for one stop cursing years ago but on occasion I do curse. It really depends on the context and the point you are trying to make. Sometimes a well placed curse word makes things funnier, sometimes it makes things more hostile and hard to read. In All I think we should leave it to the individual to police themselves on this. Yes GTN is a family oriented site, meaning it deals with video games, that makes it a target for a younger generation, but our active community seems to be older and more mature.

Yes I believe the use of cursing makes one look a little less educated if they use it in constant streems and if someone were to start such behavior here on GTN they would be warned to tone it down or face the possible repercussions of having a few days off or being permanently removed from the site.

I for one hate censorship, but I understand that sometimes it's needed to keep order.
I'd like to remind everyone, I'm only asking for a personal filter, not a site filter. I really don't care if people curse, I actually do it way too much, but I do not want to offend most people so generally I try not to be profane. I don't want to filter others mouth, but I also don't want to read it either. I would like to have them post unedited, but when I read it it's censored for me because I put the filter on.

Exactly like Sunset Overdrive :hugegrin: When my daughter is watching me, I turn the gore and profanity filters on so she doesn't see it. Truthfully I don't go and turn them back on so they mostly stay off but it's an option. One I think would be good for GTN.
Honestly, foul language is no more an obvious sign of education level as poor grammar and spelling.
I think an optional filter default to off would be best. It allows who ever would wish to turn it off to do so, and the others who could care less remain in ignorance.
I don't think not allowing people to use a few words is going to hurt a few people. I believe 360voice has a lot of filters and I don't think I recall any complaints just cause people couldn't curse. The only problem is when the filter picks up curse words that are next to each other like "dish it out".

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account