Are Bot Inflating The Collections numbers?

Issues & Bug Reports

Found 5 posts - Go to Last Post

Resolved
Just wondering if bots are inflating the collections numbers? For example My 2020 Completions has 1200+ view in a years time? I just can't imagine all those views being legit users. I have much older collections with more games in the collection with a lot fewer views. For example Games I got for free on the box One has half the views.
Status changed to 'Logged' - Views are counted for anyone that visits a collection - guests, search engines, and bots included. So it is entirely possible that certain collections are picked up and crawled by search engine bots multiple times which incrementally increases the number of views.

I plan on phasing out the counting of views for game pages and collections soon as a result of this. It's simply not as useful as originally intended.
Status changed from 'Logged' to 'Resolved' - These updates are now live. View counts for games and collections are no longer being tracked. You can view more in the changelog: https://www.gamertagnation.com/aboutus.php?do=changelog
Hmmm...I wasn't suggesting we get rid of counts all together. Could it not be set up to only count views from logged in users?
Hmmm...I wasn't suggesting we get rid of counts all together. Could it not be set up to only count views from logged in users?
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I understand. This was something I had been planning on phasing out for quite some time. This was similar to the Mr. Popularity badges that were retired for profile visits. Those badges were based on tracking actual user visits but I found it encouraged spam and the creation of multiple accounts.

Tracking visits to individual records on the site is something I want to steer away from. It just doesn't seem entirely reliable as a stat and the privacy concerns with tracking that metric is important to me.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account