I'm Getting Older...

General Chat

Found 12 posts - Go to Last Post

I suppose my wife and I have reached that point in our lives where our parents are getting old and dying. Yesterday, my mother-in-law lost her struggle with cancer and passed on to the other side. I suppose I should have expected it since she was 68, and had been battling for the last 3 years. In recent months, she did appear worse and worse and as Christmas passed, my father and I commented quietly to each other that she probably won't see New Years.

I tell you this because it has caused some anxiety and mortality considerations for myself. What am I really doing with my time? Am I making the most of my existence? I'd like to think so, but I know I am not. I also realize that I have to start preparing for my parents to go, and even get my own death benefits in order.

This is the first parent we have lost. We've lost all but one grandparent, but this feels remarkably different. I suppose I will just keep some introspective as this evolves. I will miss her, and am grateful for the experiences she added into my life the last 18 years I've been with my wife. Thanks for reading this vent.
My condolences. It's certainly not easy. My wife and I have lost pretty much everyone except her mother and my mother....all other parents and grandparents have passed on. It's hard as hell am I'm very sorry for your loss Frown
I imagine that I'm a little younger than you (but maybe not much); while my parents are still alive and in their 50s, I lost my grandfather this month. Ironically enough, it was on his own wedding anniversary. Yes, he was in his 80s (my grandmother, who died last year was in her 90s), it's still an emotional shock and makes you wonder about some of your choices. My brother and I haven't spoken in 12 years (we got into some stupid argument when his daughter was born and he hasn't spoken to me since; my own pride has kept me from reaching out to him) and a loss like this makes one wonder why we keep it going.

I'm not trying to coopt your thread here; I just want to let you know that there are people who, at least in some small measure, understand what you're going through right now.
My condolences. I certainly understand how you're feeling. I've lost all of my grandparents as well as my father in the past few years. All that is left is my mother (since I have no siblings) and I live 3000 miles away.

It will definitely get you to start thinking...
Very sorry to hear this, I too look forward with dread at times, but then think to myself we should cherish the tune we have with who we have now.

On a much brighter side, at least she's in good company this year and I'm glad you were able to speak out on an open forum to us all.
Truly sorry for your loss. Things like this never get any easier. My wife and I are lucky to still have both our parents. On my side of the family they are literally all that's left though. It always gets you thinking about your own mortality. I wish you and your wife strength coping with this loss.
My condolences.

I am not sure if I am younger than you, but I recently lost my father (September). I knew it was coming too as my father was fighting his cancer for 3 years. My father was only 62 years old. It is certainly different to lose a parent than a grandparent. It made me wonder too if I am maximizing my own life, take nothing for granted any more,...
I am sorry for your loss. I have no words of wisdom.
I am sorry for your loss. I have no words of wisdom.
Originally Posted by Sentimentalnoos
But mounds of humility... Smile

Thanks for all you comments friends. As another addition to this already wonderful news, I have just learned that my biological father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer just this morning. I am back at work, as well as my father-in-law, at my wife's request; she wants normality to return quickly. We spent most of the day yesterday getting all the things handled and prepared. She wanted cremation and no services in her honor, so it's fortunately simple on our end. She left my kids a small pile of money in mutual funds and what will be an inherited IRA, so there's that silver lining. Just breaks my heart to see her dad just shrink to a small shell of himself these past 2 days. His whole world was wrapped up in taking care of her - it was his only purpose. I foresee he will be following her to the other side sooner than we'd like. I am doing what I can to be in support of my wife. I have lost a brother, and we lost our first child, but for her, this is so far the worst pain she's felt, she claims. I don't know. I appreciate your eyes and ears paying attention here.

Will 2016 just end already? I've had enough of this shit year.
Sorry for your loss Porsch, my condolences to you and your family.
I am sorry to hear about your loss, and I'm also sorry to hear about your father as well. Frown

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account