NFL Football discussion (2014/2015 season)

Sports

Season's over. Dolphins FTW next season!
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
Think they have enough cap space for Marshawn Lynch??
the funny thing is if they would have tried to pound the ball in and didnt everyone would be saying they should have thrown...and you know this man!
the funny thing is if they would have tried to pound the ball in and didnt everyone would be saying they should have thrown...and you know this man!
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
Well, you pound the ball in, call a timeout and then throw and then on the last play whatever...
Agreed. Overall league stats like Futiles pointed out are usually enough to sway me, but you also have to consider the flow of the game you're in. The Pats stopped Lynch for no gain ONE time...and they never stopped him for a loss. On second and one with a time out in your hip pocket, I don't see any scenario where you don't give him the ball when considering those facts. Then if you fail, it actually does become a decision between run and pass.
Carroll was overthinking it. Understandable under the circumstances, biggest stage with little time left, but still can't believe there's anyway Lynch doesn't get that ball every time in that situation. If they hadn't gotten it in, I don't think anyone would have said they should have passed. Even with the Pats stacked against the run.
Interesting to note that I read one of the Seahawks players (which the media left anonymous) had a thought that I had as well, though only for a second because it would be stupid if true; Carroll wanted Wilson to be the hero, not Lynch.

Apparently the call came from the Off. coordinator. Off. coordinator blames receiver for not being stronger to the ball. It's still Carroll's fault for not overriding him and running it, and Wilson's fault for throwing the pick as well. Brady's face when it got picked was utter disbelief.
You pick Pete Carroll losing over Bellichick losing?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I have no desire for Bellichick to lose. Why would I? He broke the soul of the worst team to ever wear a uniform, and did it while I was in attendance, and for that, I will always be (at least in passing) a Patriots fan.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
ROFL!!! That was so hilarious.
ROFL!!! That was so hilarious.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Yeah, a little disappointed they won't be doing them anymore, but they had a good run. The different personalities they gave each guy stayed consistent, and Wilson's trolling was great. And of course, Rothlisberger explaining every joke... Smile
At this point, "news" regarding the Pats/Brady and shady acts is about the same as reporting that water is wet. This, on the other hand, blew my mind and pretty much sickened me to my core. I know this world is fueled by money but this is the friggin epitome of greed......

Military Paid NFL Teams $5.4M to Salute Troops*

The military reportedly paid 14 NFL teams to honor soldiers during football games.

Teams were paid $5.4 million over three years to salute troops, with a majority of the money coming from the National Guard.

The fourteen teams involved are:

Atlanta Falcons - $1.05 million
Baltimore Ravens - $884,500
Buffalo Bills - $679,000
Indianapolis Colts - $620,000
Minnesota Vikings - $605,000
Green Bay Packers - $600,000
New York Jets - $377,500
Kansas City Chiefs - $250,000
Cincinnati Bengals - $138,960
Dallas Cowboys - $62,500
St. Louis Rams - $60,000
Pittsburgh Steelers - $36,000
Cleveland Browns - $22,500
Miami Dolphins - $20,000
A NJ.com report focused on the Jets’ agreement with the Department of Defense and the New Jersey Guard.

NJ.com reported:

The agreement includes the Hometown Hero segment, in which the Jets feature a soldier or two on the big screen, announce their names and ask the crowd to thank them for their service. The soldiers and three friends also get seats in the Coaches Club for the game.

Aside from the Hometown Heroes segment, the agreements also included advertising and marketing services, including a kickoff video message from the Guard, digital advertising on stadium screens, online advertising and meeting space for a meeting or events.

Also, soldiers attended the annual kickoff lunch in New York City to meet and take pictures with the players for promotional use, and the Jets allowed soldiers to participate in a charity event in which coaches and players build or rebuild a playground or park.
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called this an egregious and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.

“They realize the public believes they’re doing it as a public service or a sense of patriotism,” he said. “It leaves a bad taste in your mouth.”
At this point, "news" regarding the Pats/Brady and shady acts is about the same as reporting that water is wet. This, on the other hand, blew my mind and pretty much sickened me to my core. I know this world is fueled by money but this is the friggin epitome of greed......

Military Paid NFL Teams $5.4M to Salute Troops*
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
I have a slightly different take on it. $5.4 million over 3 years is pretty cheap advertising to get the exposure the NFL provides (<$2 million/year). That money is likely from a large PR/ad budget and would have been spent on print or TV ads that would have been less effective. It also gave the participants an on the field experience they may not have otherwise been able to get, which might be a nice reward for serving our country. (The NFL should be providing a service such as that anyway.) They could certainly have charged a great deal more for that national spotlight, especially in the national TV broadcast world where time is definitely money.

If you want to be sickened, do some research into how much money the NFL gives the Komen foundation from the sales of all that pink gear they promote all October long.
I actually agree with Hotdog. It's marketing and the services do run lots of ads during the games so this is far cheaper and more influential than running commercials.
I actually agree with Hotdog. It's marketing and the services do run lots of ads during the games so this is far cheaper and more influential than running commercials.
Originally Posted by Kaens
It just seems some politician is quick to grab a sound byte that at first sounds like he's making a good point, but when you really think about it he's not. Too bad most people won't think past the point "NFL take gov'ment money to 'honor' veterans, NFL bad".
I have a slightly different take on it. $5.4 million over 3 years is pretty cheap advertising to get the exposure the NFL provides (<$2 million/year). That money is likely from a large PR/ad budget and would have been spent on print or TV ads that would have been less effective. It also gave the participants an on the field experience they may not have otherwise been able to get, which might be a nice reward for serving our country. (The NFL should be providing a service such as that anyway.) They could certainly have charged a great deal more for that national spotlight, especially in the national TV broadcast world where time is definitely money.

If you want to be sickened, do some research into how much money the NFL gives the Komen foundation from the sales of all that pink gear they promote all October long.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Good point(s). I guess the knee-jerk reaction is to be irritated but once you think about it, it does make a bit more sense.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account