Gaming HOT TAKES Thread

Gaming Chat

Found 23 posts - Go to Last Post

Post your gaming HOT TAKES here. I’ll drop a couple to get started:

- Borderlands 1 is better than the Pre-Sequel AND Borderlands 2. (I haven’t gotten far enough in BL3 to make a fair comparison, but I like it so far.)

- Bioshock: Infinite is overrated, and Bioshock 2 is underrated. I prefer it to Infinite, and BS2 is a much better companion piece to the first game than Infinite ever was, even with the DLC.

- Limbo - excuse me, LIMBO - straight up sucks! The platforming mechanics are TERRIBLE, with the sluggish movement and weak little jump. The puzzles are dumb, and the idea of figuring everything out via trial and error is annoying. Idk why critics loved it so much. The simplistic (boring) art style? The edginess of the child protagonist being killed in various, gruesome ways?

Those are my HOT GAMING TAKES - now let’s hear yours!

- Borderlands 1 is better than the Pre-Sequel AND Borderlands 2. (I haven’t gotten far enough in BL3 to make a fair comparison, but I like it so far.)

- Bioshock: Infinite is overrated, and Bioshock 2 is underrated. I prefer it to Infinite, and BS2 is a much better companion piece to the first game than Infinite ever was, even with the DLC.

- Limbo - excuse me, LIMBO - straight up sucks! The platforming mechanics are TERRIBLE, with the sluggish movement and weak little jump. The puzzles are dumb, and the idea of figuring everything out via trial and error is annoying. Idk why critics loved it so much. The simplistic (boring) art style? The edginess of the child protagonist being killed in various, gruesome ways?

Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
Borderlands 2>1>PS>3
BioShock 1>2>I (we agree)
Limbo is great! Have you seen the demo of the C64 version?

Here are MY gaming hot takes... Remember, these aren't just my opinions. These are cold, hard facts. Facts don't care about your feelings.

- Risen is a better RPG than The Witcher. Its quests are more fun, its world is better structured and the story is more compelling.

- Assassin's Creed Unity is fantastic. The city, the animations, but most importantly the process of becoming an Assassin. Those cutscenes and story beats as you join the Brotherhood are the best since ACII.

- Call of Duty has always been crap. Going right back to the OG, Big Red One and COD 2, they've been unrealistic, arcadey nonsense and paled in comparison to Brothers in Arms.

- Halo 4 is amazing. It gave the series the shot in the arm it needed, and married brilliant gameplay to great multiplayer for a much needed series refresh after 2, 3 and Reach were all basically the same game.

- Gears of War made stupid control schemes ubiquitous. The Roadie Run button is the same as the Go Into Cover button, which is the same as the Leap Over Cover button. Does nobody realise how stupid that is? In a frantic firefight you double-tap the button, and your COG immediately mantles the only thing that's currently saving their life. For every single time that's happened in a game, ANY game, I've shouted "NO you stupid bastard! Oh !#?$ off, Gears of War"

- Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise is not only the best Xbox 360 game, it's the best thing Rare ever made, or ever will do.

- Cozy Grove is one of the best games ever released on the Xbox One, and should be played daily, by everyone, forever.

- Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise is not only the best Xbox 360 game...
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
I must politely disagree. Everyone knows Bomberman: Act Zero is the best Xbox 360 game ever made.
Final Fantasy (any of them except the first US one on the NES, which was just a Dragon Warrior clone) is shit. The games are boring.
Final Fantasy (any of them except the first US one on the NES, which was just a Dragon Warrior clone) is shit. The games are boring.
Originally Posted by futiles
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. FF IV and VI were great. I agree, one was kind of flat, even when I played it back on the NES, Dragon Warrior was better. But the story being told in IV and VI were awesome. VII to me was just okay. I put a whole lot more time into FF Tactics. X was definitely good. I was one of the few people that actually liked XII. After that, I agree with you. (Now I did play V with the job system and loved that as well, but not the remake.)

Did you dislike Phantasy Star as well or just not like JRPGS?
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. FF IV and VI were great. I agree, one was kind of flat, even when I played it back on the NES, Dragon Warrior was better. But the story being told in IV and VI were awesome. VII to me was just okay. I put a whole lot more time into FF Tactics. X was definitely good. I was one of the few people that actually liked XII. After that, I agree with you. (Now I did play V with the job system and loved that as well, but not the remake.)

Did you dislike Phantasy Star as well or just not like JRPGS?
Originally Posted by Ichya Paradise
There is usually, at best, one turn based RPG per generation that I enjoy. Never got into Phantasy Star, but, I have tried MANY FF games, and the only one I have enjoyed was Final Fantasy on the NES, but, I liked Dragon Warrior, and just wanted more of that.

7 and 10 were sooooooooooooooo boring. I do not get the love for them, at all.
There is usually, at best, one turn based RPG per generation that I enjoy. Never got into Phantasy Star, but, I have tried MANY FF games, and the only one I have enjoyed was Final Fantasy on the NES, but, I liked Dragon Warrior, and just wanted more of that.

10 was definitely long and more of a cinematic movie that was probably designed to show off the PS2's power at the time. Not going to argue the boring part for 7, pretty much agree with you. I think for 10 it was more a one and done, not as re-playable.

I think the NES version was okay, but the SNES was better. But that was my preference.

You might have gotten into Phantasy Star as it was more fantasy but with sci-fi. But still a long game as well.
10 was definitely long and more of a cinematic movie that was probably designed to show off the PS2's power at the time. Not going to argue the boring part for 7, pretty much agree with you. I think for 10 it was more a one and done, not as re-playable.

I think the NES version was okay, but the SNES was better. But that was my preference.

You might have gotten into Phantasy Star as it was more fantasy but with sci-fi. But still a long game as well.
Length isn't an issue. Short and long games can be boring. I pretty much only play long games now, but, most of those JRPGs rely on outdated tactics and stories, its all nostalgia. And I have none for it. I am trying to remember if there has been a turn-based since Grandia II on the Dreamcast that I have truly enjoyed.
Length isn't an issue. Short and long games can be boring. I pretty much only play long games now, but, most of those JRPGs rely on outdated tactics and stories, its all nostalgia. And I have none for it. I am trying to remember if there has been a turn-based since Grandia II on the Dreamcast that I have truly enjoyed.
Sounds like you suffered through playing a game someone put you on in the past then actually enjoyed the game/story.
Forza motorsport 4 is the BEST Racing Game in Xbox 360. SBk is the BEST bike Game in 360,anyone know this series? Dirt 2 is another cake,well,watch dogs is the more boring Game i have played and dark souls .... The more stupid Game i have played.. Fu*k yo* Amor Londo.

Everybody likes different things. IX was my favourite, but I love them all.
I think some of you are missing the point of what a "Hot Takes" thread is...
I think some of you are missing the point of what a "Hot Takes" thread is...
a piece of writing or speech, especially on the internet, giving someone's personal opinions about a topic, usually strong opinions that have not been carefully thought about and that many people are likely to disagree with...

I mean, it didn't say don't try to change my mind or not to put in your two cents.
a piece of writing or speech, especially on the internet, giving someone's personal opinions about a topic, usually strong opinions that have not been carefully thought about and that many people are likely to disagree with...

I mean, it didn't say don't try to change my mind or not to put in your two cents.
I mean, the OP kinda does:

Originally Posted by zoidberg1339
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is one of the Top Five games in Xbox history.
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is one of the Top Five games in Xbox history.
Originally Posted by Adeptus Stratego
For my is top 5 completions haha
Final Fantasy VI is probably still my favorite FF game.

But, my big hot take for that series is that my second favorite is FFXIII-2!

I'm also a Borderlands 1 fan for the earlier topic. 3 is hot garbage in my opinion tho.
1>2>Telltale Game>Pre-Sequel>3
(And I honestly don't hate the pre-sequel)

Hitman: Blood Money is clunky enough that I've never been able to enjoy it. It's my least favorite Hitman game I've played. Absolution is also still an enjoyable game despite the hate it got by Hitman fans.

Battleborn was a top tier game of 2016. I preferred it to Overwatch.

Overwatch also hasn't really been enjoyable at all to me since around the time they added Wrecking Ball.
In the same vein, Rainbow Six Siege also became unplayable when they removed the option to play Recruit in Ranked. I mained Recruit and it left a hole in the game.

Gears of War is a bad series. The multiplayer is absolutely awful. The campaigns are just serviceable. Horde is entertaining for awhile in SOME of the games.

Spec Ops is better than Zombies in Call of Duty. I don't enjoy many Zombies maps at all. The only one I like after Black Ops 2 is Zombies in Spaceland from Infinite Warfare
People always complained about Games with Gold not having AAA games, but I would have preferred to always have indies. ESPECIALLY on the Xbox 360. Sales don't happen much for games like that, especially now. And, there are normally no physical release that can be found for much cheaper.

Elden Ring is a bottom tier Fromsoft soulslike game while Dark Souls 2 is weirdly up there for being my favorite.
DS1 >= DS2 > DS3 > Bloodborne > Elden Ring > Sekiro

Pokemon gen 7 is underrated. It doesn't compete with gens 3-5 (none of the other gens do), but is probably the 4th best generation.
The gen 1 games are particularly bad. Without nostalgia or thinking about how good it was for its time, it is easily the worst in the series. Gen 2 was also really bad. (Heartgold and Soulsilver are at least MUCH better than the initial releases).
I have not played 8 or 9, but i'm certain Sword and Shield at least would fall in the middle of the pack.
Overall:
4>3>5>7>6>2>1

The most disappointing PlayStation (ones I particularly wanted to play) exclusives over the years have all come to Xbox as of now. The only exclusions are Street Fighter V and Bloodborne; SFV isn't even very good. Games like Rocket League, The Binding of Isaac, and Bugsnax topped my wanted list and they all came over to Xbox eventually.

I enjoyed the Last of Us' multiplayer versus more than its singleplayer story mode.

Halo hasn't been good since 4 (5 was kinda fun until they fucked up the Breakout mode), Gears hasn't been enjoyable at all since the 360, and I only had enough in me to get through 1 Forza game.

Overall, both Xbox and PlayStation exclusives have been do uninteresting to me for awhile that I haven't even been remotely invested in caring about what I am missing out or able to play due to it.
Halo Infinite is the best Halo game. It is literally the only one I have ever played through by myself.
GTA IV is a terrible game. My least favorite game of the genre

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account