What are your thoughts on this generation of gaming?

Gaming Chat

Found 15 posts - Go to Last Post

The title says all, I'm curious to see what other people think on this subject.

Me personally think that we are stuck in a place where companies are re-releasing games just for the sake of it, obviously they want their games to be featured on the newest systems which is understandable but is it really worth it for games that have only been out for just over a year (GTA V & The Last Of Us spring to mind). I've also noticed from many people in various places that all people seem to care about in games nowadays is the numbers (1920x1080p, 60fps etc) & how good the game looks over a game that might not look the greatest but has a fantastic story, I myself could care less about how a game looks, what gets me immersed is the story & game play of a game, the numbers don't bother me, they never have, never will. I've played many games that at some points can barely run at 20fps & then the older system games that don't have great frame rate but are incredibly enjoyable to me. Either way i'm beginning to ramble so i'll stop here, sorry for the lengthy post, leave your thoughts on this topic below. Smile
2014 was a good year for good games and some bad games but I wont get into details of which game I bought for the xbox 360.
I think we're just starting to see this Fall games that wouldn't run well last-gen. Shadow of Mordor, Destiny, Sunset Overdrive. Most of the improvements are subtle improvement to graphics, more things on screen to help immersion, more complex AI. I also think we've seen the last major batch of 360 games, so there's that.

Games like GTA V from what I hear really needed more juice. I really enjoyed playing Tomb Raider a second time...

I'm just hoping that we're just seeing growing pains of new engines on the "next" gen in all of the defective games and there will be a lot of great quality games next year.
It's interesting to go back and compare games from the beginning of a generation to those from the end of it.
Call of Duty 2 looks nothing like Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2, yet they're running on the same console. I'm sure we'll see a similar evolution during the One's lifespan as developers create new engines to better utilize the stronger hardware.
i think we should give it some time. Yes the cross over of games from the 360 the One is sort of getting old but I think next year and even 2016 we will have some great games to play, great stories with better graphics. Smile
The first 18 months of any console has games that appear on both. Games came out for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800...

It is just with everyone having an internet voice to be heard, things get magnified. And with achievements and stacking, it becomes even more noticeable among the hardcore gamers. No one thought about playing games on the original Xbox and on the 360, or on PS2 and PS3, or on Gamecube and on Wii, because there was nothing to show for it, unless you just really liked the game.

But, getting 1000 on the 360 and 1000 on the X1 is something people "want" and that magnifies it even more, among this very small group.

Me? I'm having fun on my consoles (all of them), but, I have yet to "play" the same game on different consoles. (I did get the Destiny on both deal, and have only played on the X1, I did log in to the 360 to see the achievements pop - it's cute) Although, I will play The Walking Dead again...
i think we should give it some time. Yes the cross over of games from the 360 the One is sort of getting old but I think next year and even 2016 we will have some great games to play, great stories with better graphics. Smile
Originally Posted by Preludecris
We can hope :P The one thing i'm really not keen on though is the fact that every game in this generation is the mandatory install which limits me to a certain amount of games, that's one thing i like with the 360 considering i have way more games than i'd be able to have installed at any one time xD
We can hope :P The one thing i'm really not keen on though is the fact that every game in this generation is the mandatory install which limits me to a certain amount of games, that's one thing i like with the 360 considering i have way more games than i'd be able to have installed at any one time xD
Originally Posted by TheRhysWyrill
Storage is cheap. 4TB USB3 HDD can be purchased for under $150. And, you can have 2 external HDDs connected to the X1 at a time, so you could have 8.5TB of storage on your X1... You can also uninstall games when they are not what you are playing.
As Futiles says, storage is cheap. Although I would wonder with you being a completionist, do you really go back to game after you've completed it?

I'd rather be playing new experiences, but the reality is if they release something easy on both platforms, I'm going to play it. So here's to the rerelease of Avatar on XBOX One, 10,000 people will pay $6.99 for 1000 points, and only 10 of those people will play to the end of the game.
As Futiles says, storage is cheap. Although I would wonder with you being a completionist, do you really go back to game after you've completed it?

I'd rather be playing new experiences, but the reality is if they release something easy on both platforms, I'm going to play it. So here's to the rerelease of Avatar on XBOX One, 10,000 people will pay $6.99 for 1000 points, and only 10 of those people will play to the end of the game.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I wouldn't class £95 as cheap but i was unaware of X1 allowing for 2 external HDD's so this is nice to know. I do actually find myself going back to already completed games fairly often to be honest.
So here's to the rerelease of Avatar on XBOX One, 10,000 people will pay $6.99 for 1000 points, and only 10 of those people will play to the end of the game.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
more like 3. lol Smile
I wouldn't class £95 as cheap but i was unaware of X1 allowing for 2 external HDD's so this is nice to know. I do actually find myself going back to already completed games fairly often to be honest.
4TB, or 4000GB, can hold 100-200 games each. A nice storage rack for 200 DVD cases will cost almost that same amount, and since both are just storage...
4TB, or 4000GB, can hold 100-200 games each. A nice storage rack for 200 DVD cases will cost almost that same amount, and since both are just storage...
Originally Posted by futiles
A DVD rack to hold 200 cases for me costs 1/10th of how much a 4 TB external hard drive would...xD
A DVD rack to hold 200 cases for me costs 1/10th of how much a 4 TB external hard drive would...xD
Really? You can get a nice shelving rack for $15? That's impressive. That would mean that I should import my furniture...
Really? You can get a nice shelving rack for $15? That's impressive. That would mean that I should import my furniture...
Originally Posted by futiles
It's looking like only furniture is cheap over here xD Everything else in comparison with US prices are pretty expensive :P

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account