Member of the Month May 2015 (Hotdogmcgee)

Community Interviews

Found 23 posts - Go to Last Post

May the 1st be with you! We all know what the first of the month usually means, besides the rent being due, it’s time for a new community interview! With the summers heat starting to rise and everyone is ready for the pool parties and backyard BBQ’s. Why don’t we throw our own hotdog on the grill …

Name:
Hotdogmcgee

What do you do for a living?
I work for a company that designs and manufactures fasteners primarily for the aerospace industry. In layman's terms, we make nuts and bolts to hold airplanes together (not seat belts like futiles thinks, although we recently got an aerospace application to fasten seat belts to seats). Almost every major aircraft built within the last 20 years has our parts on it. We're also on trains, race cars, buses, and rapidly expanding into the marine and off shore drilling industry

Tell me about your Gamertag?
The real story is nowhere near as good as the ones made up about it. If you don't believe me, you should attend an Achievement Fest and find out for yourself.

When did you start playing?
I started with an Atari 2600. I've had most every Nintendo system, but stopped after I gave away the Wii a few weeks after buying it because I felt it was too gimmicky. After PS2, it's been all Xbox all the time.

What's your play style? Ex: booster? Completionist? How often and long do you play?
I play anything that I think I will enjoy. I've never let the fear of an incompletion stop me from playing a game I thought I would have fun with. Like futiles says, a game is complete when I'm done playing it. I also tend to skew toward games with a solid single player element. I really don't care for mulitplayer games with the general online population. I just don't get the mentality of most of the idiots online.

How awesome was it to get a free Xbox One from Microsoft?
Pretty awesome. Before the email came through, I had been contemplating cancelling my preorder. I was in the middle of buying a new house and the $500 was needed more for moving expenses over a new console. Getting the gift of a free console was not only a great feeling, but also great timing. The next spring my son won a 360 from his school as a raffle prize, which gave him a great story since we had both won a console for basically just showing up.

Tell me a good gaming story or experience? ex: Epic win/fail, marathon, accomplishment, a time you visited a game convention or met someone...or anything.
Nothing can beat the stories that come out of Achievement Fest. If you haven't been, it's coming up in July. Head over to www.AchievementFest.com to register or ask for details around here. 3 days (or more) getting almost entirely free reign in a game store full of games, World Record attempts, and of course, the Real Buffet Challenge (RBC).

Your're planning to attend the 4th Annual Achievement Fest. As an attendee since the beginning, what are you looking forward to this year?
The RBC is always a highlight. Last year for me was all about hitting the 10k week. This week will be more about relaxing, maybe taking in some light JP gaming or some new tabletop games, and of course hanging out with the Asshat All-Stars. Seriously, you'd have to be some sort of toddy to miss this event.

What’s your favorite game on 360? ONE? Of all time (any system):
I don't have a specific favorite. I'm a big fan of the Trials series and the Gears of War series. I also quite enjoy games that let me play with my friends and share the experience of a solid story or campaign mode.

Are you looking forward to any new releases?
The only long term release I'm looking forward to is the next Gears of War. That's a series I would love to see get an anthology collection on the Xbone, ala Master Chief Collection. The recent rumor of a remastered Gears of War has me excited.

Do you collect or not so much?
Not so much When I'm done with a game, I move on. With the Xbone I've transitioned over to an almost fully digital collection though.

What's your favorite feature on GTN?
With so few to choose from, I guess I'd have to say the badges

What would you tell people about GTN if you were trying to get them to join?
With the demise of 360v, GTN is one of the few sites left not run by actual assholes or as a Dicktatorship.

Is there anything you would like added to the site?
(spoiler alert, critical commentary ahead) A badge team and site supported community events. However there seems to be no interest from the site management or support staff to make it happen. Perhaps the first step should be to recruit some new staff that understands their roles and are motivated to grow the site. There was a huge influx when 360v died, and at first everyone was like "yay", but the honeymoon quickly ended and little has been done to retain all those new people, let alone give them a reason to keep coming back.
Last edited 05-01-2015 at 03:14 PM by B8TINGU.
I've attended events that were referenced...
Even He Who Shall Not Attend Achievement Fest was mentioned.
I've attended events that were referenced...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
^this. 10 characters
I also very much agree on the sentiment that this site really needs a badge team and a community events team to allow it to grow and keep the current members interested. There are very experienced and willing people who have served these roles on other sites. It really is a shame that as many times this has been suggested, that the staff on this site have not brought these ideas to fruition.
Even He Who Shall Not Attend Achievement Fest was mentioned.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
But only as a warning to others.
I WAS MENTIONED!!!!
Originally Posted by futiles
Twice. Three times if count a reference as a mention.
Great read Dog. Have your company supplied fasteners for military aerospace?
Great read Dog. Have your company supplied fasteners for military aerospace?
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
very much so, around 50,000 on each F-35.
That's nuts!
What's nuts is those bolts that cost 5 cents to make and should cost $1 the government pays $100 for.
What's nuts is those bolts that cost 5 cents to make and should cost $1 the government pays $100 for.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Actually, what's nuts is the NUTS those bolts use to attach. Literally, they are nuts.
Actually, what's nuts is the NUTS those bolts use to attach. Literally, they are nuts.
Originally Posted by futiles
Point futiles.
Wowza. Well, as a veteran, you're contribution to the cause is greatly appreciated.
Wowza. Well, as a veteran, you're contribution to the cause is greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Making or selling stuff to or for the military doesn't quite make you a veteran, come to think of it he never mentions if he served, maybe I'm wrong and you know him a bit better, my apologies if he is indeed a veteran, maybe he could clear that up for us?
Making or selling stuff to or for the military doesn't quite make you a veteran, come to think of it he never mentions if he served, maybe I'm wrong and you know him a bit better, my apologies if he is indeed a veteran, maybe he could clear that up for us?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Porsche is a veteran, and his statement is:

As a veteran, Porsche (the veteran) greatly appreciates Hotdog's contribution (the manufacturing and distribution of parts required to build the machines of our Armed Forces) to the cause (the defense of the United States by the Armed Forces of the United States).

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account