Lumia Icon Windows Phone

Tech & Electronics

Found 17 posts - Go to Last Post

Does anyone have the new Lumia Icon? My upgrade is due in about a month and that's the one I've been looking at. When I got my last one my choices were HTC 8X or Lumia 822. I went with the 822 and it's been a decent phone except the charger port broke a while back and I had to switch to wireless charging. Anyway, my choices this time around are

Nokia Lumia Icon

Nokia Lumia 928

Samsung ATIV SE

HTC 8X

The Icon seems like a no-brainer but what glitters isn't always gold so I was hoping someone here already had one and could offer up some feedback on how you like it.
What's differences with Lumia 930?
I would go with the Icon if I didn't already have the Lumia 1020. So many pixels..........
Does anyone have the new Lumia Icon? My upgrade is due in about a month and that's the one I've been looking at. When I got my last one my choices were HTC 8X or Lumia 822. I went with the 822 and it's been a decent phone except the charger port broke a while back and I had to switch to wireless charging. Anyway, my choices this time around are

Nokia Lumia Icon

Nokia Lumia 928

Samsung ATIV SE

HTC 8X

The Icon seems like a no-brainer but what glitters isn't always gold so I was hoping someone here already had one and could offer up some feedback on how you like it.
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
Wait till after AF2014, you might be able to "test drive" some of those phone models.
Yeah CK and I are both sporting 925's, but on different carriers. The 928 is the same phone as ours. I'm on AT&T and she's on T-Mo. I believe the 928 is the VZW version.
Yeah CK and I are both sporting 925's, but on different carriers. The 928 is the same phone as ours. I'm on AT&T and she's on T-Mo. I believe the 928 is the VZW version.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
I have 928 on Verizon, my wife has 925 on AT&T and they are not the same phone. Almost, but mine tasks much better pictures.
I have 928 on Verizon, my wife has 925 on AT&T and they are not the same phone. Almost, but mine tasks much better pictures.
Originally Posted by Kaens
You may want to update her camera app, then. They are the same camera:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418949,00.asp

The 928 has a Xenon flash, but the 925 has an extra lens. But the actual camera is the same on both.
The camera lens may be the same but the flash makes a big difference. She had replaced her phone twice and just had everything updated app wise. I can post side by side pics we took at a friends wedding and the 928 is far superior in indoor or low lighting situations.

Also, her battery life sucks, but I assume that's crap she has running I don't. That said, I've tried to help her improve it, and she's been on the phone with help desk many times.

I wouldn't recommend either of these though. We both have had these over a year and I'd say get the 1020 or the Icon.
The camera lens may be the same but the flash makes a big difference. She had replaced her phone twice and just had everything updated app wise. I can post side by side pics we took at a friends wedding and the 928 is far superior in indoor or low lighting situations.

Also, her battery life sucks, but I assume that's crap she has running I don't. That said, I've tried to help her improve it, and she's been on the phone with help desk many times.

I wouldn't recommend either of these though. We both have had these over a year and I'd say get the 1020 or the Icon.
I am loving my 1520s
Yeah I must have had about 10 different updates for the various apps/software for the camera over the past few weeks.

Also, I like grey frame and black backing for my phone. CK has the white back on hers. Hers is in a case. I rock mine naked.
Is she using the stock camera app, or one of the other smart camera apps?
I think she's using one of the Nokia apps. I mostly use the built in default, but do use the panorama app and the one that takes four pics and you pic best one. I do that during my daughters Tae Kwon Do class because usually one of them is a cool action shot.
I bet mine takes better pictures...so many pixels......

Anyway, Verizon is dumb because they don't allow group texting, which means toddy both is and gets left out of all the best jokes.
The camera on my 822 is bi-polar. It'll snap beautiful quality pics one minute then absolute garbage the next. I attribute it to user error, for the most part. Often times when they're not taking well I just change my angle, turn flash on/off, etc and they do get better. I'm just a terrible photographer.

My upgrade isn't due until Aug, Futiles, so AF test drives is a great idea.

I have group texting with verizon, Hotdog. It doesn't work perfectly though. Many times replies will come directly from one of the users in it's own message thread rather than the group thread, which can really jumble up a conversation.
I have group texting with verizon, Hotdog. It doesn't work perfectly though. Many times replies will come directly from one of the users in it's own message thread rather than the group thread, which can really jumble up a conversation.
Originally Posted by SG Steelhead
That's exactly why Toddy isn't in our group chats. VZW purposefully removed the standard group text option to force people to use their messaging apps. It's really dumb. I've spoken with them numerous times about it. It's worse than iMessage, and that is garbage.

TBH I almost got the Icon, but my 925 was a free* upgrade and I am happy with what I got. I've started using the Nokia Cinemagraph(?) app that lets to shoot isolated gifs with your photos. It's amazing.
I have the Icon, coming off the 920, and wife has the 1020. I like the Icon, haven't had any issues with it. I've been running the developers preview program and haven't seen any issues with it.
My biggest reason for owning an Icon (and Surface Pro, for that matter) is the games. After seeing no games released since Christmas, I'll likely be switching back to an iPhone again soon.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account