Member of the Month March 2015 (Buckswana)

Community Interviews

Found 18 posts - Go to Last Post

Hello and good day to you all out there in GTN land. It’s a bright new day in bright new month and with that it brings a bright new Member of the Month. Here I present to you one of the musically inclined greats of gaming; Canada’s number one musical gaming wonder and force to be reckoned with in the fast paced mobility gaming world.

Name:
Dan Rogers

What do you do for a living?
I'm an assistant manager of a musical instruments retail store. I mostly run the warehouse, handling all of the shipping and receiving and stock entries, as well as working the sales floor when needed. When my boss is gone, I run the store, taking care of the books and banking, and other day to day stuff as well.

Tell me about your Gamertag?
Buckswana
The Buck part was a nickname I got playing hockey. One of the guys called me Buck Rogers once, and it just stuck. When I had to come up with a gamertag, I was trying to think of something with Buck in it, and Botswana popped in my head; I mashed them together and there you go.

When did you start playing?
I remember playing Pong in a friends basement when I was around 6. I used to have a bunch of the hand held, 9v battery games (Head-to-Head games were awesome), then an Atari, Intellivision, Comodore 64, Sega Genesis, before finally picking up an xbox and xbox 360 after that.

What's your play style? Ex: booster? Completionist? How often and long do you play?
I used to be a hardcore completionist, and hated starting something new before I finished what I was playing. I hit 100k with only 19 unobtained achievements, most of which were either glitched, unobtainable, or locked leaderboards. I've tried to be less OCD about it over time, since there's too many good games to play, and it often meant skipping stuff if I thought I couldn't finish it. I still try to finish whatever I start, but it's not going to stop me from playing something I'll enjoy. I've always enjoyed boosting since I'm not a big fan of multiplayer in a lot of games, but enjoy it for the social aspect of it as much as the achievements.

Tell me a good gaming story or experience? ex: Epic win/fail, marathon, accomplishment, a time you visited a game convention or met someone...or anything.

I guess there's a few. I was first in the world to complete 100+ xbox games on 3 different platforms (Xbox arcade, Xbox retail and WP), which is kind of cool. I was first to complete Gears of War 3 in Canada (27th in the world), which was a massive grind. Running 3 consoles up to 19hrs/day, for about 1500 hrs total to get all of the Onyx medals done; I don't think I could ever do that again. As for gaming conventions, the Achievement Fest that we started doing over at 360voice will always stand out. This will be the 4th year in a row we've held it, and just meeting a lot of people you've known for so long only on the other end of a mic, playing games, and just hanging out is a blast. After Guinness rejected our first attempt for technical reasons, we've now set the world record twice for most gamerscore in 24hrs by a group; hopefully we can make it 3 straight this year.

What's your favorite game genre?
It used to be sports, then music, now I'm pretty much all over the map. I'm not big into platformers or hack'n'slash, but will really play just about anything. I used to be horrible at shooters, never having played one until I got an original xbox, but I can at least hold my own now.

So I here your pretty good at Rhythm games, do you play for real? Are you in a band or something?
I play both drums and guitar, and used to be in a lot of bands and tour quite a bit. I grew up playing Iron Maiden and Rush, and was in a Metallica tribute band for a bit. I've been playing drums since I was 12, and guitar since I was around 16. Drums is my passion, guitar is more of a hobby.

Your a monster at Window Phone Games, how did your infatuation with this start and are you happy with the games that come out?
When I finally decided to get a smartphone, it was around the same time WP games were just starting to take off. It just made sense to get a phone I could play games on and get more gamerscore with, since I didn't care about what platform (iOS, Andriod, WP) I was getting, never having had one before. I used to be able to play fairly often at work, but now that a lot of games require a constant internet connection to work, not quite so much. There's actually a lot of really good games out there (and some stinkers), and after it looking like the genre might be dying out, it's good to see other companies hopping on board and making new games again.

What is your WP or device/both?
I have a Samsung Focus WP7, Nokia 920 WP8, Surface Pro 128 tablet, and a Samsung Win8 laptop. I'll play Win8 games that are easier with touch on the tablet, and other stuff on the laptop, which I have a wireless receiver for so I can use an xbox controller as well.

What’s your favorite game on 360? ONE? Of all time (any system)
I've always enjoyed the NHL hockey games, as far back as they go. The Halo and Gears of War series are both fantastic. Rock Band games also have a special place. I don't know if I really have a favorite, but any of those would keep me happy for a long time.

If you were a Video Game or game character who and why?
I've always seen this question asked, and never really thought about it myself. Maybe Blue Jeans from My Horse and Me 2? Otherwise, Commander Shepard would be good too. The biotic abilities, exploring the galaxy, having fun with shipmates, it's all good.

Are you looking forward to any new releases?
Nothing in particular, no. My backlog is so big, I rarely buy anything new, unless a lot of friends are picking it up so I have some people to play with and enjoy it.

Do you collect or not so much?
Not at all. I pretty much trade in stuff once I finish it, except for a few games that I hang on to for playing with friends or sentimental reasons. I still have most of my music games, but not much else.

What's your favorite feature on GTN?
Like most people, probably the badges. It's nice to see the community growing too, which has obviously picked up a lot since 360voice has started to die out.

What would you tell people about GTN if you were trying to get them to join?
That there's a lot of good people here, it's well laid out and a great looking site, and there's lots to do with the badges.

Is there anything you would like added to the site?
Not much. I've mentioned a few things like forums for leaderboards and sub groups for friends lists, and Eric and Fsh have already been looking at these things and others. It's good to see that there's feedback from the community, and a lot of good ideas get implemented.
Nice read Dan. Welcome to our exclusive club of MotM winners!
Good answers Buck. Not surprised a Canadian loves hockey.
Great read! Another well done interview by B8ingu and congrats to Buck on MoM!
congrats on motm! we should hook up on Skype and jam out! lol
Hey, I know this guy! And I can testify to his crazy good plastic music skills.....
So, are members of the moment only going to be people I know, now?
So, are members of the moment only going to be people I know, now?
Originally Posted by futiles
you know me, but I think we both know my odds of ever being a member
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Plenty of people would call you "a member"
Congrats on the Guinness world record. Anywhere we can find any information out about it. I know its as a team but who else did you have? Did you take a game each or run in a shift like system? Did you play 360 and x1 simultaneously or is it that not allowed? I love hearing about these sort of records, wish I could be a part of something like this at some point in time.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
The odds of you being interviewed are sort of located here.. http://www.gamertagnation.com/genera...ght-2-0-a.html

My totally random and scientific way of picking members as explained begin with that criteria and then your name as well as all the others are put into some plastic type toy containers (the ones in the small vending machines located at the grocery store) then I have my daughter pick 12 of those and put them in to a gift bag with handles.. that bag is then shook up by her and my GF actually reaches in a picks two of those and hides them behind her back then she asks her daughter right hand or left hand a hand is chosen and I still without seeing the name choose keep or put back.. then the name is revealed.. and I go about asking that member if they are still interested in doing this and the second name is kept as a back up incase I can not get ahold of that person or no longer wants to participate. Sometimes that means that the process cuts thing a little close to the deadline as I generally do not like sending out those message until the last week of the month.

I think that process is fair and impartial. I've only deviated from it a few times and it doesn't take a detective to figure out who those instances were.
Thanks everybody! B8 caught me off guard when he asked, since I didn't have a lot of time to think about the answers, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Wink

Congrats on the Guinness world record. Anywhere we can find any information out about it. I know its as a team but who else did you have? Did you take a game each or run in a shift like system? Did you play 360 and x1 simultaneously or is it that not allowed? I love hearing about these sort of records, wish I could be a part of something like this at some point in time.
Originally Posted by Mephisto4thewin
I'm not sure if it's on the Guinness site yet, if so it should have everyone listed. There was a lot of us, (maybe 25?) and I'm sure I wouldn't remember everyone. Futiles and Faffhrd were good enough to take care of all of the PITA stuff, like documentation, recording, filing everything with Guinness, so they get the biggest kudos. We basically split it into 1hr shifts over 24 hrs, and anyone who wanted to take part signed up for a slot. It was xbox 360 gamerscore only, all on the same console, no JP or PAL games. If you want to take a shot with us, Achievement Fest is coming up again in July. Smile
Plenty of people would call you "a member"
Originally Posted by futiles
Yup... I can vouch for that.
Thanks everybody! B8 caught me off guard when he asked, since I didn't have a lot of time to think about the answers, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Wink

I'm not sure if it's on the Guinness site yet, if so it should have everyone listed. There was a lot of us, (maybe 25?) and I'm sure I wouldn't remember everyone. Futiles and Faffhrd were good enough to take care of all of the PITA stuff, like documentation, recording, filing everything with Guinness, so they get the biggest kudos. We basically split it into 1hr shifts over 24 hrs, and anyone who wanted to take part signed up for a slot. It was xbox 360 gamerscore only, all on the same console, no JP or PAL games. If you want to take a shot with us, Achievement Fest is coming up again in July. Smile
Originally Posted by Buckswana
Wow only NTSC stuff is an awesome accomplishment. Do they not allow the other region consoles? Surely if they did you could break your record easily enough especially with the plethora of easy X1 games. I would love to take part but I live probably as far away as you can get. I'm in Australia and we don't have any body that gets together like this I'm pretty jealous actually.
Wow only NTSC stuff is an awesome accomplishment. Do they not allow the other region consoles? Surely if they did you could break your record easily enough especially with the plethora of easy X1 games. I would love to take part but I live probably as far away as you can get. I'm in Australia and we don't have any body that gets together like this I'm pretty jealous actually.
Originally Posted by Mephisto4thewin
It is not specifically a certain region requirement. It is "One Console" - so, all of your achievements must be gained by a brand new, unused gamertag on a single console, no preloading games, settings, play, etc. So, if you choose to play on an EU console, or a JP console, on an NA console, then your achievements are all on that console, no swapping. Also, no other devices and services, so, no WindowsPhone, no GFWL, no Win8, no iOS, no Web, no Android, no Xbox One. Honestly, if all of that was allowed, between all of us there, and devices available, and the ability to play Win8 and X1 and 360 and WP simultaneously, we could probably approach 30K or more as a group.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account