Found 36 posts - Go to Last Post

All of you techies will appreciate this post over at Lifehacker. You can also read all the FAQs (including saucy specs) surrounding the project by clicking here. If you're not one for reading and want to get straight to the pictures, here's some for you to marvel/drool at:

i love stuff like that. i see a lot of custom houses with fancy niches like that, so i've always wanted something similar for myself.
looks awesome, if i can get the money I'm gonna tech up my bedroom, theres already a phone jack in there so internet wont be a porblem. at least thats one less thing to worry about. although I'll just be going for a PC, then other things.
Man... when I get my own place... I'm so makin a command centre like this...
I had a smaller version of this at one point (3 monitors). When I moved houses I gave up my office to the kids for their playroom. However, I do still have my theater/game room... Smile
You son of a bitch.

I'm even betting you have a 50 inch HDTV or some badass thing in your new theatre room...

And having kids is badass.
Well it is a tad larger then that.... Smile

More pictures: dmiller68's Home Theater channel on Share on Ovi
Some of the pictures are a little dated.. Sold the HD-DVD Drive for example.

TV: Mitsubishi WD-65833
Reciever: Onyko TX-SR805
Power: Panamax MAXe 5100
Blu-ray Player: Sony Playstation 3
Gaming Consoles: Xbox 360, Sony Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii

L/R Front: Definitive Technology BP2006TL
C Front: Definitive Technology C/L/R 2500
L/R Surround: Definitive Technology BP2006TL
L/R Rear Surround: Definitive Technology BPX
Sub: B&W ASW2000
That's awesome man. I'm a huge fan of NFL memorabilia so I'll respect that. Even more so, that TV rocks! I've been using a 37-inch Mitsubishi TV that was built in 1989 so I can say from experience, Mitsubishi makes some durable televisions. All in all, that's a very impressive setup.

Oh and Seattle Seahawks aren't too shabby. Smile
That's one badass setup, Miller. I really love it, man, and I certainly hope I can get me hands on a nice TV like that... Although... I may stick with either Bravia or Viera. Never owned a Mitsubushi myself, so...
That's one badass setup, Miller. I really love it, man, and I certainly hope I can get me hands on a nice TV like that... Although... I may stick with either Bravia or Viera. Never owned a Mitsubushi myself, so...
Originally Posted by Killak
I have a lot of money in this setup depending on what you consider a lot... Mits are nice esp the new Laserview if you can afford them. I have found it hard to look at smaller TV's now that I have had a 65". I watch TV with the wife and her 46" seems really small and the family room 37" in almost unwatchable. Smile

All manufactures have their pros and cons. If I where to go buy one right now I like the Pioneer Kiro 60". One pretty TV but plasma is dead and dieing as everyone is stopping making them.
i've actually been wondering what i should do in regards to LCD versus plasma when i go HD. i've heard one was actually better for gaming than the other too. any tips?
i've actually been wondering what i should do in regards to LCD versus plasma when i go HD. i've heard one was actually better for gaming than the other too. any tips?
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Well it is an interesting question that is being solved for you. I believe by this time next year only LCD and some expensive new tech will be left.

LCD - This will be the most common solution. No burn in issues so it is fine for gaming. The biggest issue is that the quality is all over the map. Sony is probably the best in this area with Samsung second place. I have a Sony LCD for my wife's TV and it is really nice. The higher end Sony's get pretty consistent top marks. They are pretty good in the tweaking category but Samsung is a little better. I also own two Vizio and they have both been rock solid. If you need a cheap HDTV they are a pretty good option in my opinion. They are not the best for picture quality however and not very tweakable.

DLP (Laserview) - This is my favorite tech mostly because they have the best bang for the buck normally (Laserview being the exception). They are very tweakable and produce some great pictures was a little tuning. Now in the end I think they are going to disappear in the future. As they just don't have the skinny sex appeal of LCD and Plasma.

LCOS - Most NEC TV's and the pros and cons are the same as DLP

Plasma - Well they have improved a lot. They used to be a very bad gaming solution because of burn-in. However those problems have gone mostly away. The problem is they are still more expensive then LCD so the consumers don't buy them. Hence Pioneer, Vizio and NEC have all dropped them. I believe they are dieing quick as an option.
Thanks for the info, Miller. I was actually pondering the same question.

I've been eying the HDTV section at Walmart for months so I'm hoping to save up for something to replace my 37' Mitsubishi from 1989. I used to have a 27-ish inch (can't remember exact dimensions) Samsung LCD which used the fancy HDTV hookups but that was eventually stolen when my apartment was broken into. From my past experience and comments from friends, I assumed that LCD was much better in comparison. DLP just doesn't appeal to me since I am desperately needing something slim and easy to move. I've had to move this clunky TV from 1989 way too many times.
The prices for HDTVs arent too steep anymore you can get decent ones for £200 now. Getting Sky HD soon so we have to upgrade anyway. I wanna see 24 in HD!
I LOVE the desktop that is on that first image
I agree on the LCD front, although my dad should be buying a sony prototype through his company... Apparently it involves Plasma injected LCD cells.

I'm no scientist, but apparently it's meant to be badass.
I'm not sure, he mentioned it in winter, and said that Amex wanted to fill their meeting halls and convention centres with them, and the company would then give their Presidents the chance to purchase it. Since my Dad's a P, he should be eligible for one. I hope it happens, but I'm not too fussed.

I want a TV of my own. Owning the thing myself is the main attraction. I love that feeling of owning something incredibly badass and knowing it's 100% mine.
Well by 2012 TV is going digital (here at least) and HD will start kicking in. With this credit crunch theres a lot of sales. He should certainly go for it if the chance comes.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account