Does GTN use scraping?

General Chat

Found 7 posts - Go to Last Post

So, Having read the new XBL TOU, one stand out clause is this:

1.9 Are there things I can’t do on the Services? You must not use the Services to harm others or the Services. For example, you must not:

•Use any automated process or service (such as a bot, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft, or metasearching) to access or use the Services, or to copy or scrape data from the Services;

So I have to ask: Does Gamertag Nation use Scraping? Under the new TOU, it could be interpreted that not only does anyone who directly scrapes violate the TOU and risks banning, but anyone who uses a service that scrapes could risk banning (such as TA or raptr) could be banned under the TOU.
TA and raptr, which use scanners to gather their info are part of the xbox community developer program. I have no idea if GTN is
TA and raptr, which use scanners to gather their info are part of the xbox community developer program. I have no idea if GTN is
Originally Posted by SpectreSubZero
I'm almost positive that it is NOT, but Eric is working towards it. My understanding is this is why the scans are so limited as is.
GTN does not scrape.

I have chatted with Eric, and he is using APIs from other sources, the same ones I have used on futiles.net to play with gathering and scoreboarding. This is the reason for the limited updating, though.

These sources are independents, and can only support so many requests per hour.

It is odd that they updated the TOU to that, though, as TA DOES scrape.

*EDIT*

As info, scraping has always been against the TOU. I honestly don't know what the original language was, but, that is why there was always some negative attitudes between some of the original XCDP sites and TA when it came out. TA was added to XCDP long after it launched, and it did EVERYTHING via scraping.
Last edited 10-31-2013 at 10:04 PM by futiles.
Looks like litepink and Xbox Support issued a clarification, that it is intended for sites with nefarious purposes.
Looks like litepink and Xbox Support issued a clarification, that it is intended for sites with nefarious purposes.
Originally Posted by futiles
Make sense now.. Eric should work on joining this xbox support thing i am sure it needs a lot of effort to get approved.. i remember TA took a while
GTN has applied, but yes, it does take a lot.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account