Acer reveals its new Windows 10 Mobile smartphone, supports Continuum

Windows Phone

Found 23 posts - Go to Last Post

At IFA 2015 today, Acer just showed off its new Windows 10 Mobile, the Jade Primo.

http://wmpoweruser.com/acer-reveals-...rts-continuum/

This phone looks interesting but I'll wait the Lumia 950
I see you're stepping up your copy/paste game by now including images.
New Acer phone have a 21-megapixel camera with a dual-LED flash, you can do great photos...?
Lumia 950 is probably what I would want too, but I guess it depends on carrier and dates.
New Acer phone have a 21-megapixel camera with a dual-LED flash, you can do great photos...?
Originally Posted by QuiCkz Ninja
That Acer phone is still 20 megapixels short of the pictures my phone takes, no thanks.

And yeah, you just couldn't survive without copy/pasting news articles again could you. I should open a poll on how long it will be before you get banished again.
That Acer phone is still 20 megapixels short of the pictures my phone takes, no thanks.

And yeah, you just couldn't survive without copy/pasting news articles again could you. I should open a poll on how long it will be before you get banished again.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Seriously, why does anyone have a problem with his post? This is ridiculous. I've been waiting to find out about Win10 phone for probably a year and I never heard of this. GTN has no news crew, and I would never have seen this if he hadn't posted it. I visit GTN & TA everyday, with occasional Facebook views, that's it! There is nothing wrong with Quickz post, you guys are just haters. Leave him alone,
Seriously, why does anyone have a problem with his post? This is ridiculous. I've been waiting to find out about Win10 phone for probably a year and I never heard of this. GTN has no news crew, and I would never have seen this if he hadn't posted it. I visit GTN & TA everyday, with occasional Facebook views, that's it! There is nothing wrong with Quickz post, you guys are just haters. Leave him alone,
Originally Posted by Kaens
Be a lot easier if a feature that was requested a year ago, and then again a month ago, was initiated. Or if he didn't just copy and paste links to news articles.
I think the issue is as stated by the others that he is simple just copying and pasting, he doesn't add anything constructive to the conversation, doesn't ask for or even gives an opinion. He is like that SNL skit coffee talk with Linda, throws out a topic and says discuss. He is simple padding / spamming for the 500 post badge and although you may find this topic to be useful how will you respond to the next 490 posts at a rate of 5 a day. That is what got him banned last time. Call it a preemptive strike.
Lumia 950 is probably what I would want too, but I guess it depends on carrier and dates.
Same here :-)
Really? I would have thought your work would provide an e-mail about "what's news" in tech. I get an e-mail each day at lunch with the top 200ish stories in tech over the past 24-hours. (I think it is) Sony [that] has an almost identical phone coming out, boasting a 21MP camera and a thumb-print reader, and 3 sizes (although the smallest one being waterproof was cool).

(Honestly, I always kind of assumed your work environment was similar to mine.)
Microsoft Continuum feature is awesome I love phone PC with windows 10
Really? I would have thought your work would provide an e-mail about "what's news" in tech. I get an e-mail each day at lunch with the top 200ish stories in tech over the past 24-hours. (I think it is) Sony [that] has an almost identical phone coming out, boasting a 21MP camera and a thumb-print reader, and 3 sizes (although the smallest one being waterproof was cool).

(Honestly, I always kind of assumed your work environment was similar to mine.)
Originally Posted by futiles
I get about ~200 emails a day, that go something like this...
  • 5ish spam from vendors or even our own internal corp spam crap
  • 30-40 daily reports
  • 50-80 updates to my JIRA tickets
  • 60-80 crap I actually have to read and respond to, often follow up from anything from the Product team, Member Services, my management chain, etc (what I consider the real stuff)

Today, which is pretty much my typical day went like this..
  • 1000-1100 sat in a sprint planning meeting about the Verizon mail migrations (thought bought us, but we're doing their email)
  • 1100-1200 supposed to have planning meeting with my team to modify some of our core architecture, but I didn't because instead I was pulled into a troubleshooting meeting because our search has had major problems all week.
  • 1200 told the wife, who I already asked to wait until noon to eat (normally eat at 11:30), that I'm not going to make it because SOLR is a mess and these guys have no direction.
  • 1245 ran to cafeteria where we have a vendor selling gyros today and went back to war room to see if our plans worked
  • 1300 not clear if search is fixed yet, explained a bunch of metrics to people, then ran off to Verizon meeting where I struggled to stay awake because they are a different level or corporate bs than us and they move at a snail's pace
  • 1400 went upstairs to discuss our CICD progress with my leads and my boss so he knows our progress
  • 1445 1st time I made it to my desk and opened my mail, skim the above reports and mostly mark everything else read because I'll never have time except those I know i have to read
  • 1500-1600 threw quick workflow diagram together so I can get my team using kanban board in JIRA they way I want so I can track all the work we don't have time for so I can justify more head count (won't happen, but I have to try)
  • 1600-1700 read the emails i have to respond to and explain to Member Services that message status doesn't work because we use mail search to get that information and it's broken
  • 17-1710 update my boss as he's walking out where things stand
  • 1710-1800 talk with various managers from Engineering team that come by to discuss deadlines I'm committing my team to, status of broken items and I walk to the floor to get face time with my team before they leave
  • 1800-1830 finish up those emails I didn't mark read and text wife I'm otw home
  • 1830-1915 spoke to my team lead about how overwhelmed we are, how worried I am about some of the team members not being able to keep up and who I'm going to stick the new project I was just asked about an hour ago
  • 1915 wife texts me pissed because I told her I was leaving 45 mins ago and they've been waiting for me to have dinner
  • 1945 I get home and reheat leftovers

So if that's how your days go, then yeah, it's exactly the same. Whenever I first sit at my desk or manage to get caught up on my inbox I check this site and TA for chatter and then back to work.

Edit: And since I already went that far...

Then I get my two kids ready for bed, one at 2030 the other an hour later at 2130. Then I spend until about 2300 watching a few tivo'ed shows with the wife finally, at which points she goes to bed. Then I stay up until about now or as late as 0300-0400 playing games. Up at 0900, back in the office ~1000 to do it all over.
I'll just get a 950XL unlocked for AT&T if I have to.
  • 30-40 daily reports
  • 60-80 crap I actually have to read and respond to, often follow up from anything from the Product team, Member Services, my management chain, etc (what I consider the real stuff)

• 1000-1100 sat in a sprint planning meeting about the Verizon mail migrations (thought bought us, but we're doing their email)
  • 1100-1200 supposed to have planning meeting with my team to modify some of our core architecture, but I didn't because instead I was pulled into a troubleshooting meeting because our search has had major problems all week.
  • 1200 told the wife, who I already asked to wait until noon to eat (normally eat at 11:30), that I'm not going to make it because SOLR is a mess and these guys have no direction.
  • 1245 ran to cafeteria where we have a vendor selling gyros today and went back to war room to see if our plans worked
  • 1300 not clear if search is fixed yet, explained a bunch of metrics to people, then ran off to Verizon meeting where I struggled to stay awake because they are a different level or corporate bs than us and they move at a snail's pace
  • 1400 went upstairs to discuss our CICD progress with my leads and my boss so he knows our progress
  • 1445 1st time I made it to my desk and opened my mail, skim the above reports and mostly mark everything else read because I'll never have time except those I know i have to read
  • 1500-1600 threw quick workflow diagram together so I can get my team using kanban board in JIRA they way I want so I can track all the work we don't have time for so I can justify more head count (won't happen, but I have to try)
  • 1600-1700 read the emails i have to respond to and explain to Member Services that message status doesn't work because we use mail search to get that information and it's broken
  • 1710-1800 talk with various managers from Engineering team that come by to discuss deadlines I'm committing my team to, status of broken items and I walk to the floor to get face time with my team before they leave
  • 1800-1830 finish up those emails I didn't mark read and text wife I'm otw home
  • 1830-1915 spoke to my team lead about how overwhelmed we are, how worried I am about some of the team members not being able to keep up and who I'm going to stick the new project I was just asked about an hour ago
  • 1915 wife texts me pissed because I told her I was leaving 45 mins ago and they've been waiting for me to have dinner

So if that's how your days go, then yeah, it's exactly the same. Whenever I first sit at my desk or manage to get caught up on my inbox I check this site and TA for chatter and then back to work.

Then I get my two kids ready for bed, one at 2030 the other an hour later at 2130. Then I spend until about 2300 watching a few tivo'ed shows with the wife finally, at which points she goes to bed. Then I stay up until about now or as late as 0300-0400 playing games. Up at 0900, back in the office ~1000 to do it all over.
Similar. More e-mail, but mostly because we don't have an NMS in place for this product, so, everything is routed via e-mail. Then, about 70% of it gets replied to, so, if not me, then one of my team, which means for every 10 e-mails, there are 7 more. I would love an NMS...

But still, I am expected to keep up with not only tech related to my field, but tech related to all of our fields, and since we now seem to be in everything...
Similar. More e-mail, but mostly because we don't have an NMS in place for this product, so, everything is routed via e-mail. Then, about 70% of it gets replied to, so, if not me, then one of my team, which means for every 10 e-mails, there are 7 more. I would love an NMS...

But still, I am expected to keep up with not only tech related to my field, but tech related to all of our fields, and since we now seem to be in everything...
I think I have maybe 100 .NET machines left and I'm actively trying to be rid of them so NMS I'm not familiar with. We used to be all HP/Sun running C builds, then probably 6-8 years ago we completely switched to Java/Tomcat running on CentOS. It's been painful.

Re: keeping up with tech related stuff, I don't have to do anything like that. I barely keep up with what other mail providers are doing. For me, I pretty much just need to be aware of what Gmail is doing and that's it.
I think I have maybe 100 .NET machines left and I'm actively trying to be rid of them so NMS I'm not familiar with. We used to be all HP/Sun running C builds, then probably 6-8 years ago we completely switched to Java/Tomcat running on CentOS. It's been painful.

Re: keeping up with tech related stuff, I don't have to do anything like that. I barely keep up with what other mail providers are doing. For me, I pretty much just need to be aware of what Gmail is doing and that's it.
NMS - Network Management System. Single hub that all alarms, messages, traps, whatever, bubble up to. Basically like SCOM for Windows Server products, but, above and beyond that where drivers are made to handle all devices on the network, no matter vendor, to give us a single point of reference. In our video product, the 50,000+ devices fed up to a single NMS via multiple Element Managers, and allowed us to create various graphical representations of the network with full alarming options (with about 10 colors to use) for easy discovery of network issues.
I'll just get a 950XL unlocked for AT&T if I have to.
Originally Posted by StophJ
Great choice :-)
NMS - Network Management System. Single hub that all alarms, messages, traps, whatever, bubble up to. Basically like SCOM for Windows Server products, but, above and beyond that where drivers are made to handle all devices on the network, no matter vendor, to give us a single point of reference. In our video product, the 50,000+ devices fed up to a single NMS via multiple Element Managers, and allowed us to create various graphical representations of the network with full alarming options (with about 10 colors to use) for easy discovery of network issues.
Yeah we have a home grown solution for this. I look at multi-color graphs all day long Wink
Yeah we have a home grown solution for this. I look at multi-color graphs all day long Wink
Unfortunately, the new product I support crosses multiple platforms that don't exactly talk to each other. So, now I work on the mobility, IP, and core backbone platforms.
  • 30-40 daily reports

You forgot the part where you check my page to see if I have any new badges for that day...

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account