Windows 8 + Windows 10?

PC

Found 38 posts - Go to Last Post

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I'd keep the GFWL stuff separate, but only because it needed the client to run. I almost think of it as a different platform, even though it's all PC.
I'd be okay with just folding the GFWL badges themselves, then we don't have to worry about people missing out. Just combine them with the other windows one.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
People missing out? Who the f cares? Either they played them or not.. what are they missing out on? You can easily go pick up a ton of GFWL games on eBay and play them now if you want.. hell I've got a box of them Wink
People missing out? Who the f cares? Either they played them or not.. what are they missing out on? You can easily go pick up a ton of GFWL games on eBay and play them now if you want.. hell I've got a box of them Wink
Originally Posted by Kaens
Hasn't GFWL been shut down? Can people load up games on their card still and they just are completable at this point because of it.
I know smrnov was playing the first Batman game (Arkham Asylum) on PC a couple of weeks ago, so there must still be some way to play them.
GFWL still works with games you have the disc for. I have the Batman games (or had, I don't remember if I gave them away) on disc, and GFWL still works. If you have the game installed from the marketplace, it still works. If it is a game that did not get patched by Steam, it still works.

However, if Steam patched out the GFWL portion of it, or if you no longer have the Marketplace version installed (I think you cannot get to the market anymore), then yes, you cannot do it.
I played two of the games earlier this year.. wait 3 games this year already. futiles has it exactly right (what else is new?), the store front is down, but anything you already own or can get a disk for works just fine. He's also right about Steam patching out stuff, but I didn't buy any GFWL games on Steam so I'm unaffected.

Back to my point though, if someone missed out.. SO WHAT!! Many things are timed or life gets in peoples way, people are going to miss stuff. It's always fair. If someone wasn't a member of the site (like me) wasn't around when GTN was passing out Xmas 20xx badges or some community event or some beta I missed out on... that's my problem! The people who were here then or did those things deserve to have earned their badges or whatever, it's MY FAULT I wasn't here.
Back to my point though, if someone missed out.. SO WHAT!! Many things are timed or life gets in peoples way, people are going to miss stuff. It's always fair. If someone wasn't a member of the site (like me) wasn't around when GTN was passing out Xmas 20xx badges or some community event or some beta I missed out on... that's my problem! The people who were here then or did those things deserve to have earned their badges or whatever, it's MY FAULT I wasn't here.
Originally Posted by Kaens
^^^^^ SO MUCH THIS .^^^^^^ Sometimes life isn't fair and not everyone deserves a trophy for just participation.
^^^^^ SO MUCH THIS .^^^^^^ Sometimes life isn't fair and not everyone deserves a trophy for just participation.
Originally Posted by DJ Psyanyde
Ugh participation trophies, I hate that. I remember when I was young we were in the playoffs and got big old trophies for 2nd or 3rd and even then I knew it was bullshit and wasn't proud of them.
so did anything ever come of this? do W10 games and W8 games count for the same badges?

Im guessing no, as when I filter my games they are separate.
I know smrnov was playing the first Batman game (Arkham Asylum) on PC a couple of weeks ago, so there must still be some way to play them.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
Halo 2 PC GFWL servers are back online
Also W8 games and W10 games are in the same marketplace, GFWL is different.
I was playing Quantam of Solace GFWL version last week and unlocked a couple achievements. The GFWL games can still be found on ebay usually very cheaply. I have at least a dozen.
Currently im sitting at 93/100 W8 games played, I have 5 more I can boot up, that would get me to 98/100. Cant get anymore than that unless I could somehow log into someone else W8 machine and be able to play either Zombies!!!, Rocket Riot, Age of Empires or one of the Pac Man version varieties. Fusion Dots never went live and I saw on GameTroopers FB page that Imperia Online wont have achievements until the W10 version is ready. Guess Im screwed!
For what it's worth, I see calling a GFWL game the same as a Windows game like saying that an Xbox 360 game is an Xbox One game just because you can play them on the Xbox One. GFWL games can be played on several versions of Windows and I believe Macs as well. The Windows games require specific operating systems not only to play, but to even purchase them in the first place. But, it all depends upon what Eric thinks.
The GFWL market place is back up. If you purchased games there before you can now download them to your computer. I was able to download World of Goo.

This is only for games you purchased BEFORE the GFWL market place was shut down.
Might want to call it UWP since they are Unified Windows Platform apps, and its possible we will see some of those types of apps on the Xbox One.
Correction, according to TA Imperia Online achievements have gone live and they are W8. I can now get to 99/100.....One more game please Game Troopers!
BUMP ALERT!

I believe the Windows Store games are classed as Windows 8 games and are all Gamerscore 200 each I think and all have a tile showing Xbox

Windows 10 games are classed as big games with Gamerscore 1000 I think and have a tile showing Xbox Live

Windows 8 games are like Xbox Live Arcade Games

I agree it's confusing have three different PC gaming set ups, GFW, Win 8 & Win 10.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account