General Chat

Want to get fit?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 26 (40.63%) Yep

× 8 (12.50%) Nope

× 30 (46.88%) yay, free poll

• Added 05-21-2015 07:08 PM
  • 64 votes
Hey guys, I was inspired by another thread to ask the community if there was desire to start a group just for us that focuses a bit on fitness. I have been working on improving my health the last few months, and I have found that motivation and lack of support is one of my stumbling blocks.

So I ask: is there anyone else who is a GTN'er that wants to join with me on becoming healthier? I think one way we can do this is with Kinect games. If there is a big enough group, let's make it happen!

GTN Fitness Gamers Group

Established 2015

Goal:

The GTN Fitness Gamers Group is dedicated to using gaming
as a utility in assisting members reach thier individual fitness and/or weight
goals. Through friendship and teamwork, inspired through competative motivation,
members of the group will benefit from each other in reaching fitness and/or weight
goals, as well as adding much desired gamerscore to thier individual gamertag.

Membership:

Any member of GTN (Gamertag Nation) can join the GTN Fitness Gamers Group.
Any member wishing to join the group must join the leaderboard that has been
created (for managing organization purposes only) and post thier goals
and intentions, as well as expectations they hope to recieve from the other
group members. Membership is not mandatory for any members, and any member can
elect at any time to remove themselves from the group. Participation is not
mandatory, but highly suggested - the more you put into it, the better results
you can achieve.

Sign-up:

When a member signs up, he or she is required to post goals, intentions, expectations,
starting weight (only if member is attempting weight loss), and goal weight (same as
before). The more specific the goals are for each individual, the higher success rate
each individual can possibly experience. Studies have shown that when someone really
specifies the details of a goal, they are much more likely to accomplish it.

Medical Disclaimer:

It is always highly recommended that before anyone attempts a new excersize or diet, that
they consult with thier physician about the risks and possible problems that may arise.
Since each member is unique, the program is designed that each member designs thier own
regimen within the groups guidelines. If a member at any time feels physically or
emotionally incapable of contuing the program safely, they would be applauded for doing
so instead of 'pushing through the pain'.

Program Schedule:

Each cycle will include 10 weeks, with a 2 week period in between. Scoring goals are as follows:
Week 1 - 100gs
Week 2 - 200gs
Week 3 - 300gs
and so forth until
Week 10 - 1000gs.

The total amount of Kinect related gamerscore increase for each ten week cycle in order to achieve all 10 weekly points
are 5500 gamerscore. This is designed to increase the difficulty progressively for each cycle.

Each week score only counts for that week. For example, if you score 200 points in week
one, the extra 100 points does not roll into week two.

For each week a member meets the cycle goals, they are awarded a point. For the cycle
there will be a maximum of 20 available points, 10 from the weekly goals, and 10 for extra
credit goals announced each week.

At the end of each cycle, a scoreboard will be posted for comparison. Every so often, a
cycle 'leader' may be awarded with an extra prize (to be determined).

Each cycle is it'sown entity, but member total scores will be tabulated as well, for
comparison and motivation purposes only. Each week, in order to earn the weekly point,
the member must reach the score goal AND post thier goal increases or decreases, such
as weight increase or loss, etc...

Weeks will start Monday mornings and end Sunday evenings when points are assessed.

Forum acticity is encouraged but not mandated. Purchasing Kinect games is encouraged, but
mandated. Your success depends on your input and activity. Good luck!
Last edited 06-04-2015 at 11:03 PM by porschephiliac.
I'm with you man, just the kind of extra inspiration I need.
And a good way to get some of the co op or online mp achievements. Count me in.
I'm a keen runner & cyclist, but crocked at the moment. Fractured metatarsal on 9th May, no running for six weeks! Frown
I'm a keen runner & cyclist, but crocked at the moment. Fractured metatarsal on 9th May, no running for six weeks! Frown
Originally Posted by cheneyheadshot
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear this, what happened? Biking accident?
Originally Posted by cheneyheadshot
Ouch! I'm not a runner, but I love mountain biking. I live in Arizona mountain country, and there are 100s of trails here.
I do bodybuilding so I'm in. I use the Kinect and Xbox fitness to get my cardio in.
Might dust off the kinect this weekend. Gotta move the sofa though. Urgh!
Yea I have to do my profile to the living room 360, my game room just doesn't have the space for most Kinect games, I was surprised when I was able to complete the two Fun Labs last weekend..
Yeah, most of those don't need much room. One of them, though I can't recall which, is a little more picky. I done them at a friends house during an xbl meet up with minimal space.
I would join if I had a kinect. but I do stay fit riding my bike around town and moving boxes and pallets for work..
So I was wondering, do we want to post 'before' pictures, say on June 1st? Let's throw out some ideas and how we can better support each other. What games should we focus on? Are we going to concern ourselves with gamerscore or completions? And most importantly, I think we should all establish our individual goals and post them here. Studies show that when there is an establish, attainable goal, the success rate dramatically increases.
I'm down for some pictures.

For me, the gaming goal is to complete my 360 Kinect card first off.

Currently unfinished:
Jillian Michaels
Self Defence Training Camp
Hulk Hogans Main Event
Chipmunks stupid dance one (might employ the help of Mrs LAFTA)

From there on it'll be straight up completions, need to acquire an X1 kinect, but not until goal no.1 is complete.

In regard to weight loss/fitness. I could aim to lose a stone or so.
Great idea Porsche, count me in.

I take 3 months off every summer from my job and 2 years ago when my wife and i came from vacation, i did nothing but game and gained 23 pounds, when your wife tells you that you are getting heavy, you know something has to be done.

So i started going to the gym more every summer while i'm off after losing that extra weight, i have alot of Kinect games i haven't started so i'm definitely in.
Last edited 05-24-2015 at 08:58 AM by BigNev44.
Well before and after pictures may not work for me, just because I don't realm fluctuate in weight. I'm blessed with a pretty high metabolism. I'm dong this for some extra achievements and maybe some completions but I could stand to tone up a bit.
Pics aren't mandatory, but seeing that visual improvement from friends is supposed to motivate as well.

I haven't touched my Kinect in a long time, so I need to see what games I even have for it! Big Grin

I'll do that, then post my goals about them. Physically, I want to be 170-175 lbs, and I am 185ish now. I'm not fat, but rotund and out of shape. I need to sexy it up, ya know?
I just tried to make a leaderboard for us. but I am already monitoring more than my allotment (need to go premium again) - so, would anyone care to create this leaderboard and post a link?
Nevermind - went ahead and joined premium again for a year.

Link to fitness group: http://www.gamertagnation.com/leader...l=273&notice=1
Yeah, my doc says stop converting my extra pounds into muscle cause when i eat alot of carbs, i work out right after, while i'm losing some of the weight thats not being converted, i'm not eating healthy (which i really need to start doing)

Joining the leaderboard now.
I've joined too many leaderboards.. Sigh that's my one pet peeve is leaderboards and no it's not because I suck and hate to see myself so low on them, (that's entirely acceptable by me..lol) Idk I just kind of hate the clutter. I just removed myself from a ton of leaderboards from around the web. Mostly TA and here, but if this is going to be pertaining to something I'm active in and monitoring, I guess it's a necessary evil.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account