Major Nelson is leaving Xbox

Gaming Chat

Found 6 posts - Go to Last Post

After 20+ years as the Xbox guy, Larry Hryb also know as Major Nelson is leaving Xbox to pursue other endeavors.

I remember the first time I saw him talking about new games, and thought "Wow - what a corporate face. How out of touch is that, choosing him as a promotional show runner?"

Then, as time went on and I saw him more and more, I began to appreciate him. 'This Week on Xbox' became something I looked forward to. Yes, at times he was overly enthusiastic, but it was clear he loved what he did in front of the camera just as much as his 'real' job. He was knowledgeable and personable, and I grew to really like him.

It's a sad day in my opinion, for sure.
I remember the first time I saw him talking about new games, and thought "Wow - what a corporate face. How out of touch is that, choosing him as a promotional show runner?"

Then, as time went on and I saw him more and more, I began to appreciate him. 'This Week on Xbox' became something I looked forward to. Yes, at times he was overly enthusiastic, but it was clear he loved what he did in front of the camera just as much as his 'real' job. He was knowledgeable and personable, and I grew to really like him.

It's a sad day in my opinion, for sure.
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
Your initial reaction was my every single time reaction. I was actually shocked he was still at MS, since you pretty much stopped hearing about him something around the end of the One and launch of the Series.
Back in '07 Major Nelson posted about needing an idea for some quick Gamerscore (probably to beat E). A lot of the responses I saw were really poor but I quickly looked over his card and identified NBA 2K6 for him and he was playing that later that day. I think I stopped following his blog when it became mostly automated like twelve years ago.
No matter the opinion, he is one of those people that will be remembered by many, specially by those of us "old school" who saw him since his start.
He was alright. But still I wish xbox was not such a closed ecosystem and thanks to people like him xbox has not been able to become as popular as steam.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account