Got the Hero Quest remake for my birthday!

General Chat

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

My brother and I used to play Hero Quest and Space Crusade all of the time when we were kids. All of the time.

Unfortunately, they were so used and battered that I had to throw them away a few years ago. Plastic had broken, cardboard had bent, adventure sheets were long gone... I was gutted. I'd even painted most of the miniatures in both games.

Anyway, my birthday is next week and I was having a drinks in the house and party food session with him and my missus last night.

When he told me I had to open my main present early, I wondered what it could be....

He doesn't have a great deal of disposable cash, so I was super surprised to find a brand new sealed Hero Quest Game System (2021) inside the wrapping.

We fell straight back into it like we'd only played last week! I had a great time as DM whilst his Dwarf and my partner's Elf succumbed to the creatures of the opening trial. Such a great, great present - I was really surprised and humbled by it.

Couldn't have asked for anything better, and I can't wait to start picking up the expansions.
Happy birthday! I'm glad you got something you truly enjoyed.
Happy birthday. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Cool! Childhood nostalgia is awesome. Happy Birthday!
Thank you everyone. It's still such a great game, especially watching the cooperation of the hero players thinking they're outsmarting my dungeon Devious
Nice. I got it as part of their internal Kickstarter (I forget what they call it) and have been very happy with the quality. I do wish they had updated the rules a little bit, to make it more modern, but, It is what it is.

I gave my old copies to a friend, and started painting the new one. That orc bard exclusive is the best...

Last edited 10-25-2023 at 04:02 PM by futiles.
Never heard of that game before but doing a little research now .... I think I'm gonna pick one mate!
Never heard of that game before but doing a little research now .... I think I'm gonna pick one mate!
Originally Posted by Arkkant
It's at its best with two to three heroes I think - can be quite a challenge for them to get through the quests (the opening trial is pretty brutal for first time players, and the dice rolls of course) but still doable.

Encouraging the players to communicate and cooperate really brings it alive - almost like Advanced Fighting Fantasy, where they start discussing tactics and stuff. Making sure the Elf has line of sight with a spell so asking the barbarian not to block a doorway, things like that. You can also release some tension as the DM by "engineering" certain things in secret, like ensuring the next treasure they search for brings up a health potion when a hero is down to their last Body Point, instead of a wandering monster :P

It's really satisfying!

You can have one player control multiple heroes, but then you lose that fun communication factor, and although it's still fun it's not as good as seeing people argue about whether they're going to take a peek through the next door or not Big Grin
Like all 1-v-Many games, the hero player(s) can control multiple characters. Which is what we have always done. (This scenario in Batman: Gotham City Chronicles is for "up to" 3 heroes? Then 3 heroes it is, who wants to play an extra guy?)

Monolith is the current big dog in the genre, making some truly spectacular improvements in the 1-v-many system, first with Conan and then Batman:GCC. The even created a whole 1-v-1 mode, so the hero and the overlord play exactly the same way, with a "River System" they created for the Conan Overlord. If you like HeroQuest, I highly recommend Batman: GCC, it may be the best version of a 1-v-many game right now. (Although, a second edition Conan is about to hit Kickstarter, with reprints of the first edition stuff confirmed to be part of it.)
How many hours have you put into the game so far!
Many happy returns of the day. Nice pick up.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account