× 2 (13.33%) I'm not going to

× 4 (26.67%) Not yet

× 7 (46.67%) I saw it on HBO Max

× 1 (6.67%) I saw it in theaters

× 1 (6.67%) I watched it both ways

• Added 08-09-2021 01:39 AM
  • 15 votes
  • Votes are public
Ok, I'll admit it, I was hesitant to watch The Suicide Squad because of how the last one came out. Suicide Squad released with a fairly poor reception overall, in part due to criticisms on pacing, characterizations, and Jared Leto's Joker. But, James Gunn, currently known for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, helmed [i]The Suicide Squad[\i]. After the first movie, I wasn't willing to pay to see it in the theater, but luckily I have access to HBO Max. Overall, I was quite pleased with the movie and found it very entertaining. The pacing was done well and, while there were a number of characters, it generally did not feel like the characters took away from the story. There were no constant cut away for back story scenes. The few times that they did show us something other than the main story, it felt organic to the story. Of course, this movie lets you know early on what to expect and that nobody is really safe. There is a scene early on in the movie that shows exactly why this film get a hard "R" rating and, personally, I loved it.

I'd say that this movie gets a B+/A- and I'd easily watch it again if someone wanted to see it in the theater with me.

If you've seen it, what did you think?
I get the hype and why folks are excited about yet another Suicide Squad movie, but count me out. I feel like I'm a member of a huge minority in saying I've never watched any of these superhero movies. All the Marvel and DC stuff has never interested me. I'll wait until there's a documentary or comedy for me to watch and happily skip this one.
I'm not going to judge you; everyone likes what they like and there's nothing wrong with that Smile
I didn't see the first one but watched the new one last night after seeing the reviews. I was seeing talk of it being the best thing DC has done since The Dark Knight, and I'd say that's REALLY overstating it. But it was definitely a lot of fun. John Cena was hilarious and Viola Davis always makes a great Amanda Waller. Can't say I quite get all the hype about Margot Robbie as Harley but she was decent, no complaints here. Using your grading system, I'd give it a solid B. I could possibly be persuaded to a B+ or B- on a rewatch but I'm pretty set on the B at the moment.
I didn't see the first one but watched the new one last night after seeing the reviews. I was seeing talk of it being the best thing DC has done since The Dark Knight, and I'd say that's REALLY overstating it. But it was definitely a lot of fun. John Cena was hilarious and Viola Davis always makes a great Amanda Waller. Can't say I quite get all the hype about Margot Robbie as Harley but she was decent, no complaints here. Using your grading system, I'd give it a solid B. I could possibly be persuaded to a B+ or B- on a rewatch but I'm pretty set on the B at the moment.
Originally Posted by thanatos8285
Yeah, Margot Robbie / Harley Quinn really wasn't used much or well for most of this movie. However, she was the highlight (and to many, the only saving grace) of the original.
This movie was better than Justice league and Wonder woman
I'm a huge fan of Ostranders Suicide Squad run, those were great comics.

But it does mean I'm loathe to see other translations.
It was very good, especially by DC standards. I like that it had a unique style, though that makes me wonder how DC will be able to create a cohesive shared universe for their films - MCU does a good job of sharing not just characters, but visual effects, settings, etc. Either way, hopefully it's a sign of things to come
With the Robert Pattinson Batman movie coming up I think that DC may have given up on the cohesive universe idea; but I guess we'll see what happens after Flashpoint.
I'm a huge fan of Ostranders Suicide Squad run, those were great comics.

But it does mean I'm loathe to see other translations.
Originally Posted by Nod Nolan
Did you catch Ostranders' cameo?

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account