Porsche's Movie Reviews - Hacksaw Ridge

Entertainment

Found 5 posts - Go to Last Post

Review is up.Thanks for the patience.
Last edited 12-12-2016 at 11:25 PM by porschephiliac.
Hacksaw Ridge, Mel Gibson's latest directorial offering, chronicles the WWII experiences of Medal of Honor winner Desmond Doss. Doss served as a medic during what is called the Battle of Okinawa, where his courageous actions allowed him to earn the distinctive Medal of Honor. What makes his story unique isn't the 75 lives he rescued from the clutches of Japanese infantry. It wasn't the life threatening injuries he sustained while doing that great feat. What makes him stand out the most is his inclination to avoid harm to another man, even in combat. He was the first conscientious objector to earn a MoH. He was, and is still, a legend among the combat medical field, in the United States military and abroad. His primary goal was saving others first. He saved GIs as well as Japanese soldiers during that fateful event. As a retired combat medic myself, we were told of this fellow during our training, and finally, after years of hopes and dreams, a film has been made of selfless efforts and service to the USA.

The film itself is more biography of his youth until his medical evacuation, illuminating his hard childhood, as the son of a guilt-ridden Great War (WWI) survivor in 20's-40's Virginia. He witnessed violence at a young age, and ultimately resolved to omit violence from his life in his teens. When WWII entered the safety of Americans, he felt compelled to join in and fight, to serve, to help protect the innocent and weak, but faced certain inner turmoil as he stayed true to his deep, profound moral beliefs. During his training, he was outcast as a coward, unwilling to even hold a rifle, let alone use one. At a time of great uncertainty, he knew his resolve, and he was nearly imprisoned for it. He was saved by the Constitution, and was allowed to enter a combat environment without a weapon to protect himself. As he considered it, years later, he admitted that having a weapon and ammo would have been another distraction for him in is desire to aid wounded and hurting men.

Those that ridiculed him early on in his own unit were more than amazed at his heroic efforts that compelled him to aid and serve countless souls during those harrowing days on that ridge. The last half of the film virtually focuses in on Andrew Garfield, as he carefully plays the role out. He infinitely expanded his acting credibility from his Amazing Spider-man days. Since I had already established high expectations for the film, combined with the elite capability that Mel Gibson has when he is in his finest (Braveheart, anyone?), I was near shocked to see the casting choice of Andrew Garfield. I had hoped for someone with a bit more range and ability. Having now viewed the film, I regret that early judgement, and can now easily forsee a grande future for Mr. Garfield.

Rounding out the cast is the indominable Hugo Weaving, of Matrix trilogy and The Lord of The Rings films, and newcomer, yet lovely Theresa Palmer (I loved her in "I Am Number Four"). They play a crucial assisting role in the development of Desmond as he grows up under Weaving's darkened, worn-torn soul, and eventually the loving embrace of his soon to be wife in Palmer, as she honed Miss Dorethy Schutte (spoiler: they were married in 1942 when he returned and stayed true until she passed away in 1991). There are a plethora of other notable actors and performances, all handled extremely well and with a great care and reserve for the subject matter. The most surprising addition and outstanding role came from Vince Vaugh, who spewed a great first impression that R. Lee Ermey would be proud of.

The film ends on a a high, yet somber note, as some of the actual men who witnessed this act were interviewed, including Doss himself, and months before his death in 2006. Seeing first-hand his great humility and appreciation for life in those brief moments concreted the fact that his story must be shared in this large format. I had honestly expected an epic from Gibson, and he delivered in heaps of greatness. I caution those who attend that the film is incredibly violent and filled with sickening gore - reminiscent of Gibson's "We Were Soldiers". It has earned it's R rating through this violence and virtually nothing else. If you're squeamish, then maybe wait until it's it in your living room, since the details won't be so graphic.

As a medic, I am very biased to this story, and very much enjoyed it's telling, and I believe that many of you will too.
Being a Mel Gibson movie I want to see this although some of the trailers I saw left me less than enthused as others very excited, so thank you for the review.
This is just another example of our education system not teaching true stories of what war or the times events were set, rarely do you hear of the atrocities the Japanese committed during WW2. Sorry I just like to have more facts and truth than what is taught in school.

Great review can't wait to see the movie.
Thank you, HM. The film visualizes the distinct brutality the Japanese were capable of during this time, albeit toned down a touch for weaker audiences. There's a few moments that captures the mentality horrifically well, unfortunately.
As always a great review, I wish I had half your talent. If I never see this film, I at least have that.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account