I had a blast. They have increased the Tabletop area by about 300%, so, I was happy to get that much more to browse, test, purchase, and read.

Not sure what people expect from a convention. It was getting close to what GenCon is already, at only three years in.
Originally Posted by futiles
Apparently they are spinning a board game only version of PAX in Philly later... I assume you know about it...
Apparently they are spinning a board game only version of PAX in Philly later... I assume you know about it...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
No, they are making a Tabletop only PAX Unplugged, but, it is actually more RPG focused. And is tentatively the same weekend as BGGCON in Dallas. If they move the weekend, I would probably go check out PAX Unplugged, but, I don't really RPG a lot.
I had a blast. They have increased the Tabletop area by about 300%, so, I was happy to get that much more to browse, test, purchase, and read.

Not sure what people expect from a convention. It was getting close to what GenCon is already, at only three years in.
Originally Posted by futiles
That is one of my complaints, as well as what others I have talked to; too much emphasis on table top games and not enough on video games. I guess there were enough complaints and enough demand for this for PAX to split the table top stuff to it's own event, PAX Unplugged, in the future.

There's nothing wrong with table top games, I used to play and invested way too much money on Star Wars Miniatures, but that's no longer my cup of tea.

The people I have talked to went to try out the Switch and just couldn't justify paying for a pass to stand in line an entire day to do so. They also tried to play Oculus and were surprised/disappointed that the long line they waited in was to setup and appointment to play at a later time.

As to what I expect, I guess I my experience in conventions is from Star Wars and their Celebration and Star Wars Days and maybe that's a bad comparison. My favorite part of the two times I have attended PAX South were the expo hall vendors and panels from Gearbox and BioWare, give me more of that.
That is one of my complaints, as well as what others I have talked to; too much emphasis on table top games and not enough on video games. I guess there were enough complaints and enough demand for this for PAX to split the table top stuff to it's own event, PAX Unplugged, in the future.

There's nothing wrong with table top games, I used to play and invested way too much money on Star Wars Miniatures, but that's no longer my cup of tea.

The people I have talked to went to try out the Switch and just couldn't justify paying for a pass to stand in line an entire day to do so. They also tried to play Oculus and were surprised/disappointed that the long line they waited in was to setup and appointment to play at a later time.

As to what I expect, I guess I my experience in conventions is from Star Wars and their Celebration and Star Wars Days and maybe that's a bad comparison. My favorite part of the two times I have attended PAX South were the expo hall vendors and panels from Gearbox and BioWare, give me more of that.
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
January is an awkward time for video games... I like the other PAX time slots better for video games. I guess the most important thing is to understand what you're in for and decide if it is worth your while.

The more categories of gaming the better...

Just wish they'd put something video game related in the SouthEast...
There are plenty of video games at PAX South. I think the phrase you are looking for is "Main Stream".

PAX South is primarily an indie and tabletop venue. There is PAX East and PAX Prime if you want to go to a PAX focused more on video games.

I attended several panels on video games: Villains you love to hate, My favorite bad video game, Friday the 13th Q&A, A spoken history of EVE Online.

There were plenty of video games on the expo hall floor: Capcom had RE7 and SF5, There was Dreadnaught, Hand of Fate 2, WoW & Hearthstone & Overwatch, The Switch with Mario Kart and some other shit I didn't feel like surfing the crowd to find out about. But there were way more smaller, indie devs there showing off their games.

So, the problem is not that PAX South isn't focused on video games, it's that yours and the peoples you've talked to need to understand the theme and focus of the CON. They need to temper their expectations.

I had a blast. Went to a few panels, played in a few tournaments, met some new devs, got a game signed. It was awesome. But, I don't need "Main Stream" games to be a focal point of the con.
So, the problem is not that PAX South isn't focused on video games, it's that yours and the peoples you've talked to need to understand the theme and focus of the CON. They need to temper their expectations.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
There is no problem, I tried PAX South the first two years and decided it is not for me in it's current format. I will not go to a con that I expect to be disappointed in. That's why I did not go this year. I can't justify the expense to stand in line to play games I have or can purchase in the very near future. I might try a Saturday pass when PAX Unplugged gets running and see how PAX South evolves.
There is no problem, I tried PAX South the first two years and decided it is not for me in it's current format. I will not go to a con that I expect to be disappointed in. That's why I did not go this year. I can't justify the expense to stand in line to play games I have or can purchase in the very near future. I might try a Saturday pass when PAX Unplugged gets running and see how PAX South evolves.
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
You will still be disappointed since you think PAX South will change to meet your expectations, when they have no intention of doing that. Even in the PAX Unplugged press releases, they say it doesn't affect the other cons because tabletop gaming is growing, and that this is in addition to what they already do at Prime, East, and South.

They want part of that $10B tabletop egg, and they are focused on getting it. That is why there are multiple Penny Arcade tabletop games, too.
http://www.justshapesandbeats.com/

That was probably my favorite video game I saw at PAX South this year.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account