Newest Xbox One Preview Update

Xbox One / Series X|S

Anyone else messing around with the preview recently released? I am not sure it "fixes" finding a game in your game collection, but, it certainly improves on it, A LOT.

I like using small tiles (to see more on the screen at once) and "Sort by Letter" (as opposed to sort A-Z) as this lets you push Y to get an alpha-numeric jump screen, to go straight to the letter of the game/app you want. I like that.

Also, they moved "My Games and Apps" to the upper right, next to the last app/game you were in. Nice...
I'm loving it especially with what they did with the My Games and Apps but for some reason it keeps deleting my Gemini: Heroes Reborn game, it doesn't even touch the German version...

So i sent feedback about it but i'm not feeling the store, maybe it's cause i don't rent or buy movies from there but the games section is still a mess even more since it's mixed in with the movies, tv and apps.
I'm loving it especially with what they did with the My Games and Apps but for some reason it keeps deleting my Gemini: Heroes Reborn game, it doesn't even touch the German version...

So i sent feedback about it but i'm not feeling the store, maybe it's cause i don't rent or buy movies from there but the games section is still a mess even more since it's mixed in with the movies, tv and apps.
Originally Posted by BigNev44
Yeah, I never go to the right on the console. I actually forget it's even there. I am just one screen. If I need to buy a game or DLC, I have found xbox.com to be so much better than the console store on either 360 or X1. So, I always buy my game or DLC on the web, then just download from the console. The activity feed and social aspects don't interest me, and the store is a jumbled mess.
Any other notable features that came with this preview? I know the final release can contain more, but I'm always interested in significant changes.
So far, it appears collections/organization is the big deal:

My Games/Apps moved as noted above
You can sort A-Z, By Letter, By Size, By last Updated, or by last used. When sorted by letter (NOT A-Z) Y gives you the quick jump
You can have Large Tiles (12 per screen), Medium (20 per screen), or Small (30 per screen)
You now have a "Ready to Install" section, unlike before, at the end of each tab, all Games/Apps owned but not installed show on one section.
It shows not only what you are installing, but the speed it is installing at (currently 30.89 Mb/s for me), amount installed, percentage, and total file size. All on the left hand side, so you can see it from the other game/app tabs
You have a total count for each, too. I have 201 Games, 28 Apps, 0 Ready, and 4 Installing right now.

I don't remember seeing a graphic representation of my Kinect on the screen before, might have to check an old console. Right up by the controller battery level and clock.

I never use Community or OneGuide, so, who knows.

Looks like Store they did some work. Seems like last time I used it, you would RB over to it, then 3 or 4 more options would spring out from it. Now they are all back within the same page. Use a code is nice and obvious, for once, though. I know that it used to be hidden, and if you didn't have a Kinect it was a pain in the ass. Well, it is right there on the main store page, now.
ALSO!!!

I am an EA Access Member, and it now shows me new vault games that I have not installed as "Ready to Install" without launching the app and crawling through the slow ass vault.
They have also updated the voice commands on Kinect, but this may be optional because it uses Cortana. So far I'm not impressed because it takes longer to do anything via voice command; you have to wait for Cortana to warm up before it responds. Previously, as long as the Kinect recognized the command, it was near instantaneous.
For those that don't want to bother with getting out their smart phone or walk to their computer, Cortana will also do internet searches based on your voice command. While it's a nice idea, it's a little frustrating when trying to figure out some of the new changes in commands.
As for the Kinect icon at the top, I'm pretty sure that it is new, too. Not sure what the point is, though. I mean, if you have a Kinect, you know it right?
So, you now control the X1 via Cortana. What does that mean, instead of saying "Xbox On" you have to say "Hey Cortana Xbox On" to turn it on.

"Xbox Turn Off" no longer works. After fighting with it, "Hey Cortana, go to sleep" is the new way to do that.

"Hey Cortana Record That" and "Hey Cortana Screenshot" appear to be the new phrases, too.

What is really nice, is that at least 30% of the time, Cortana comes up with a "Warming Up" message. She gets about half of those messages right, but is a little laggy.
So, you now control the X1 via Cortana. What does that mean, instead of saying "Xbox On" you have to say "Hey Cortana Xbox On" to turn it on.

"Xbox Turn Off" no longer works. After fighting with it, "Hey Cortana, go to sleep" is the new way to do that.

"Hey Cortana Record That" and "Hey Cortana Screenshot" appear to be the new phrases, too.

What is really nice, is that at least 30% of the time, Cortana comes up with a "Warming Up" message. She gets about half of those messages right, but is a little laggy.
Originally Posted by futiles
I'll have to try the go to sleep command. I've been using "Hey Cortana, turn Xbox off" and then trying to say yes after it warms up but before it stops listening.
I like the small tiles. I don't like the fact that I have 147 games and apps ready to install
I like the small tiles. I don't like the fact that I have 147 games and apps ready to install
Originally Posted by N1ghtmareb4xmas
You should install those.
They are from the Rare Replay and the Xbox 360 BC games
They are from the Rare Replay and the Xbox 360 BC games
Originally Posted by N1ghtmareb4xmas
My statement stands.
To echo just about everything on this thread, yeah, I like the changes to Games and Apps. Doesn't fix the issues, but I think it's better than it was, and better than it was on the 360 now. Also, Cortana could use some work. Both on the Xbox One, and on the other devices as well, she does ok, but mostly in the events where she does stuff automatically, things like remind me of meetings, when I should leave, to pick items up, but not where I have to talk to her.
ALSO!!!

I am an EA Access Member, and it now shows me new vault games that I have not installed as "Ready to Install" without launching the app and crawling through the slow ass vault.
Originally Posted by futiles
That definitely caught me by surprise when i saw that earlier and i'm not even a EA Access Member and thanks to your recommendation, i'm buying games from xbox.com from now on, it works better than the One and the update notes for Preview say if you buy games on the new dashboard, you can only play it on that console.
One of the bigger changes for the Preview is that you dont need Kinect anymore to issue Voice commands to cortana, its works with a headset as well.
and I noticed a bug in the new Apps and Games section, and that is that you cant sort after Last Used or Lasted Updated (me personally do that)
but overall i like the new update, Now I wait for the LFG and Clubs feature on XB1
I'm staying far away from the preview program from now on. Last preview almost bricked my console and I had to do a several hard resets.
The preview continues to be good for me. Had an issue with Thief (an old Games with Gold) not being recognized as purchased or owned. When I searched it showed "Owned" but on the store page it prompted to purchase for $19.99, and trying to launch the game took you to the store page.

Other than that, the complaints I have with Cortana are all documented as "Known Issues" in the Preview App on the console; stuff like she says "Warming Up..." longer than she should, doing web searches for common phrases sometimes like "Hey Cortana, Mute" or "... Volume Up." It's annoying, but they are aware of them, and I'm confident they will continue to work on and improve the system.
I used the store on the console this morning. That is a fucking hot mess. I cannot say how it compares to previous versions, but if my only choice was the console store, I would go back to discs.
i have 216 games in "ready to install" and only 100 games disappeared from ready to install took 2 days to get that all back

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account