Game Walkthrough sections

Feature Requests

Found 29 posts - Go to Last Post

Planned

Do you want a walkthrough section?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 13 (61.90%) Yes, please.

× 2 (9.52%) No, post it in the forums or somewhere else.

× 6 (28.57%) I don't care. I'm just here for the poll.

• Added 06-28-2021 01:32 AM
  • 21 votes
I know similar discussions have been brought up in the past, but I'm wondering if there is any current thought as to adding a section to the game pages for full game walkthroughs?
Absolutely! I have close to 50 walkthroughs ready to be fixed up and posted, and I'd love to do more as well. I think it'd be a great addition to the site.
Absolutely! I have close to 50 walkthroughs ready to be fixed up and posted, and I'd love to do more as well. I think it'd be a great addition to the site.
Originally Posted by Vitiated1
Do you have any published anywhere already?
Do you have any published anywhere already?
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Yeah, all on garbage ass TA. Will certainly be taking all of those, improving them, and republishing them on GTN if they open up a section for it.
Status changed to 'Planned' - This is absolutely happening now that we got a "garbage ass TA" quote. All joking aside, I would love for this to be an area that grows here. That is certainly one thing that sets TA apart and I wouldn't mind trying to take them down a notch. 😁

I will work on this and keep the thread updated as it's in development.
Status changed to 'Planned' - This is absolutely happening now that we got a "garbage ass TA" quote. All joking aside, I would love for this to be an area that grows here. That is certainly one thing that sets TA apart and I wouldn't mind trying to take them down a notch. 😁

I will work on this and keep the thread updated as it's in development.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
Awesomesauce! If you do set it up with any specific style of formatting, I'll convert the walkthroughs that I've posted on "garbage ass TA" as well. Lol
Does everyone who has suggested this in the past get the "Bright Idea" badge? Stick Out Tongue
Does everyone who has suggested this in the past get the "Bright Idea" badge? Stick Out Tongue
Originally Posted by thanatos8285
I say, "Yes" Lol
Originally Posted by thanatos8285
You betcha!

For those with experience in submitting walkthroughs over at TA, can you tell what kind of formatting is used there? For example, are they using markdown or something proprietary to their site?

I'd like to make it easy for you guys to copy the contents of the walkthroughs you've composed over there so I'd like to see if I can match it if possible.

Lastly, I hope to get this up and running towards the end of the month. I'll have a nice week off from work so plenty of time to design and code this then.
You betcha!

For those with experience in submitting walkthroughs over at TA, can you tell what kind of formatting is used there? For example, are they using markdown or something proprietary to their site?

I'd like to make it easy for you guys to copy the contents of the walkthroughs you've composed over there so I'd like to see if I can match it if possible.

Lastly, I hope to get this up and running towards the end of the month. I'll have a nice week off from work so plenty of time to design and code this then.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
I think it's some kind of proprietary thing, and I don't think going with Markdown is the move. So if you check this page:

https://www.trueachievements.com/gam.../walkthrough/3

You'll see some examples of things they implement. There's a control panel at the top of the page with the usual stuff; quotes, bullet points, indent, etc, but they also have things like [Info box] and [warning] which are the boxes with the orange and red text, respectively. Aside from the other formatting you see on the page with the table and all that, there are achievements listed. That's done through a drop down menu that lists all the achievements for that game, which I have no idea how to do on the backend, even though I was WT staff for like 5 years.

If you want a good firsthand look, use a dummy on the site to complete a game that doesn't have a walkthrough yet. Volunteer for it in the thread, and then when you're given access to the walkthrough panel do some investigating and see what to emulate and what to improve on.

Based on my experience, the biggest thing missing is an autosave feature. The page can sometimes crash when doing formatting and if you didn't manually save, that's a few hours of progress gone. Also a better way of adding pages, whatever system they use is rather clunky and can be quite confusing.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I was WT staff for ages over there and wrote/improved upon a ton of walkthroughs during my time. Message me on Discord if you have any pressing questions!
Looking forward to this! I've got some WTs I'd happily port over from that *other* site.
Last edited 11-03-2022 at 02:56 PM by zoid.
Hi.. I am new to this site. Certainly familiar with TA.

A few friends are here, so I decided to go ahead and create my account as well. I have written numerous walkthroughs for TA as well. I was searching the forums for some type of answer as to whether or not there was a walkthrough area for games here. This thread could just be outdated, so could someone be nice enough to point me in the right direction as to where I could post mine?

Thanks in advance for any help navigating the site.
Hi... I am new to this site. Certainly familiar with TA.

A few friends are here, so I decided to go ahead and create my account as well. I have written numerous walkthroughs for TA as well. I was searching the forums for some type of answer as to whether or not there was a walkthrough area for games here. This thread could just be outdated, so could someone be nice enough to point me in the right direction as to where I could post mine?

Originally Posted by Kaiteh
I don't recall this feature being added to the site yet, but maybe this will serve as a reminder to implement it.
Hi.. I am new to this site. Certainly familiar with TA.

This is still in the works, however I know Eric has been bogged down at his regular job and right now there is no set timeframe on when this will eventually be added to the site.
This is still in the works, however I know Eric has been bogged down at his regular job and right now there is no set timeframe on when this will eventually be added to the site.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Alright, thanks for the information. Is there an appropriate place that I could post them here or is it best to just wait?
Alright, thanks for the information. Is there an appropriate place that I could post them here or is it best to just wait?
My best suggestion would be to post it in the forum for the game itself. If one doesn't exist for the game and you have a completed walkthrough feel free to PM me as I can always update the game's page to include the forum so that somebody can post a walkthrough there.
I believe, as of right now, the closest we have is the ability to add guides for individual achievements.
So, I am curious, if you go to a game page, there is a tab called "Guides" and when you go there and "Submit a Guide" - this does not tie to a specific achievement, but rather, appears to be an "Entire Game Guide"

If you click on an achievement within a game, you get another section of "guide" options.

Perhaps, not using the same name for "Game" and "Achievement" guides would be more clear?
So, I am curious, if you go to a game page, there is a tab called "Guides" and when you go there and "Submit a Guide" - this does not tie to a specific achievement, but rather, appears to be an "Entire Game Guide"

If you click on an achievement within a game, you get another section of "guide" options.

Perhaps, not using the same name for "Game" and "Achievement" guides would be more clear?
Originally Posted by futiles
I've been wondering about this for a while. Maybe it's a leftover feature from before the ability to submit a guide for a specific achievement was possible, as IIRC it says something about the guide being reviewed by a member of staff? Or have I got my wires crossed?
Yes, it does say it will be reviewed, but, it also refers to it as a "Game Guide"

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account