Be able to rate games 3.5 stars, 4.5 stars, etc.

Feature Requests

Found 11 posts - Go to Last Post

Under Review
The 1 to 5 star scale is a little imprecise from my point of view. Maybe a game doesn’t deserve 5 stars but I don’t want to give it 4. Sometimes 2 stars is too harsh but 3 stars is too generous, and so on.

Not a massive issue, just something I was thinking about.
If this feature was implemented I would have given my The Division Review 3 1/2 Stars. As an example...

Fixed it. lol
Last edited 04-18-2022 at 04:39 PM by MarvzMitts.
If this feature was implemented I would have given my The Division Review 3 /12 Stars. As an example...
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I'm confused as to whether you would have given your review 3 out of 12 stars or three-twelfths of a star, which would be the same as one-quarter of a star. Confused
I'm confused as to whether you would have given your review 3 out of 12 stars or three-twelfths of a star, which would be the same as one-quarter of a star. Confused
Originally Posted by Dvader83
I think it was just a typo and was intended to be 3 1/2 Lol
I think it was just a typo and was intended to be 3 1/2 Lol
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
That would make more sense.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Haha, yes it was a typo Big Grin
Status changed to 'Under Review' - I think this has come up before and at that point in time I was not entirely sold on the idea of implementing half stars into our ratings scale. I understand why this might be necessary in some cases but I feel like a simple 1-5 full point scale provides enough range to accurately assess a game you've played. That could be a personal preference though.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this so far but I would like to gather more feedback from others on the site before investing some time into making this change. So if anyone else is interested in seeing this added please let me know in this thread and I'll revisit it after other roadmap items are completed.
I need a 6.9 rating aswell because some games are "nice"
From a measurement standpoint, the half ratings really don’t make a big difference. Meaning, whenever studies have been done on how much more precise of a measurement is obtained when there are more answering options on a likert scale like this, it doesn’t actually make much of a difference once you’re past a certain point, and that point is in the 5-7 range. The person doing the rating might be more satisfied with the rating they’re giving, but the end result for someone viewing the average rating will be effectively unchanged.

Basically the half-star ratings serve no purpose beyond making the rater happier in some instances. But maybe that’s a good enough reason.
I feel like the rating system that is currently available works best for giving my overall reaction to a game and if I wish to get into greater detail about my thoughts on the game, I'll write a review for that game.
For me and I will use (The Division review I wrote as an example) having that 1/2 point grading systems adds a level of nuance.

With the current system I have rated the game a 3, basically saying that the game is average or mediocre level. It's not a really good game that deserves a 4. That would be to generous for the reason I stated in the review. They put a lot of effort into the game that is really good, like the music, visuals,, ambiance, hud system, and user interface. You can walk around all of NYC and have a very limited copy and paste experience.

So it should deserve a little bit extra for the effort they put in.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account