Sort Badges by "Your Progress"

Feature Requests

Found 17 posts - Go to Last Post

Planned
I think it would be really cool if it was possible to sort the badges page by "Your Progress". That way I could see what badges I am already close to and might not even know about. I obviously would not help with the badges where you have to play a specific games, but for the cumulative ones it would be very helpful I think.
I was thinking along the same lines. I know not all achievements have tracking, either in the game or outside of the game.

Here is my round about idea for a solution, if it could be done. And I have no idea if it is even possible.

We know when someone logs onto live and when someone logs off. We can see what game they are playing. If we know when they started playing a game, and when they earned the achievement, we could see how much time it took to earn that achievement. If you extrapolated the data, and averaged across all users who played the game while logged in to xbox live (sorry, but if your not online, your results would have to be thrown out), you should get an average play time to earn an achievement. You could also go as far as giving a range for an achievement (for example, min of 2.5 hours of play, max of 10 hours). I understand that you would have to record a lot of data and have no idea exactly how much data is out there.

For the record, I am not a coder and am not talented enough to speak code. I have no idea if it could be done and what the logistics behind doing this would be. I am just throwing it out there. It's something I haven't seen anywhere else.
HavoX,

Great idea, however it's not going to work. See GTN pulls the data from XBox by the scanners going out and pulling up your information at set intervals (on demand if you are premium). There is no way of knowing when you sign into a game w/out some sort of pub/sub method where Xbox would notify GTN when you sign in, no doubt this is how you get notifications online of when your friends sign on. It might be possible if there that feed of 'started playing <game>' in your friends feed was available, but I don't know that it is.

It would probably so off anyhow, but I'd love to know the data you are asking for. MS themselves are probably the only ones able to even get close to this without offering up some APIs to sites.
HavoX,

Great idea, however it's not going to work. See GTN pulls the data from XBox by the scanners going out and pulling up your information at set intervals (on demand if you are premium). There is no way of knowing when you sign into a game w/out some sort of pub/sub method where Xbox would notify GTN when you sign in, no doubt this is how you get notifications online of when your friends sign on. It might be possible if there that feed of 'started playing <game>' in your friends feed was available, but I don't know that it is.

It would probably so off anyhow, but I'd love to know the data you are asking for. MS themselves are probably the only ones able to even get close to this without offering up some APIs to sites.
Originally Posted by Kaens
That might be in the XBOX One data. But there's nothing that says, so and so stopped playing a game.

The only real way to do it is to have an app that people run, ala Raptr that is scanner for that one user. Those aren't that easy to code though. The other hard part is to know if people are playing for an achievement or just playing. Such as Call of Duty series or simply your casual players. Probably easier to get a metric on a game like Nutjitsu which not people would play this for anything but the achievements.
As I said, I was just throwing it out there. I knew it would be difficult to get the info. I know its out there. Thanks for the feed back Kaens! Fshguy, you are 100% right! A single scanner for a single user is the best approach, and very difficult.

Since its too much of a pain, lets just talk theory. Theoretically, a person could create a scanner or modify an existing scanner. The first assumption is that the scanner would be used by achievement hunters. By starting the scanner you are not casual gaming. (yes I understand this is a true assumption and no real way to control this aspect of tracking). The scanner program could be run locally, as in on a user pc or device (or an app). If you could set the scanner to receive a log on notification from the tracked user, and then set it to run at a higher interval while the user is online (1 minute for example, theoretical example...). when the user logs and the scanner no longer sees them as offline, the scanner would compile the play data and upload to a server. The server crunches the data.

You could also refine the data compilation so that it reduces the number of anomaly data points and runs with an average. Something like the TA system (not pushing another site, just using an example). Their numbers are constantly self adjusting.

For co-op achievements (multi-player) things would be even trickier. I know I can see if my friends are playing single player or multi-player in the friends list. I have no clue how this is done and as I said before I am not talented enough to speak code. But the information is there, the trick would be to find a way to qualify timing on games with both single player and multi-player achievements.

As I said, this is all just theory. I would love to see it happen. I am a total newb to coding. I have a little experience, but couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag. I am just trowing my ideas out there.

Thanks again for listening to me ramble!
Just bumping this one for my original suggestion of being able to sort badges by progress, which doesn't have anything to do with the last few posts in this thread..
Looked at this... A little more complicated than I thought, so some shifting around will have to occur to make this happen. Not saying this won't happen, just going to take a lot more work to make it happen.
Looked at this... A little more complicated than I thought, so some shifting around will have to occur to make this happen. Not saying this won't happen, just going to take a lot more work to make it happen.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Probably need to start with having them report accurate %s of completion first huh Wink
Probably need to start with having them report accurate %s of completion first huh Wink
Yes, another reason to not do it... If you fix it and people look at it and see the other issues or badges that could have progress, but don't. There will be even more requests for features/fixes, therefore giving the impression that everything is broke, therefore causing me to drink more, and want to play games more instead of code... Thanks for the reminder Kaens. Smile
Having skipped most of the conversation, when I want to see my progress, I set the filters to Active and Locked only, and it significantly reduces the amount of badges to sift through. Then I just take a quick look and if I see a progress bar filling up, I start to try and get that one.

However, a progress % filter would be awesome AND I think a filter that can separate the "play this game" and/or "finish this game" would be a nice addition. Sometimes I just want to look at the site badges only, not game-related ones, and vice-versa.
Was just thinking about this. Nice to see it is coming along.
Was just thinking about this. Nice to see it is coming along.
Originally Posted by Stallion83
Ah well, Ray's here now and participating so I guess my top spot at the leaderboard will be short lived. Sorry, Fshguy!
Ah well, Ray's here now and participating so I guess my top spot at the leaderboard will be short lived. Sorry, Fshguy!
Oh sure, just give up to Stallion after I've been chasing you all this time? There's still a lot of community stuff to do before he closes that gap.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account