What's the Best Game That Requires Figures?

Gaming Chat

Found 23 posts - Go to Last Post

What's the Best Game That Requires Figures?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 29 (38.67%) Disney Infinity 2.0

× 10 (13.33%) Skylanders: Trap Team

× 8 (10.67%) Skylanders: Swap Force

× 28 (37.33%) Other (If so, which one?)

• Added 12-27-2014 11:42 AM
  • 75 votes
Which is the most entertaining gaming experience currently that requires additional figures in order to play?

I'd prefer a challenge to begin with but once you understand the quirks it becomes easier. I don't like games with unfair difficulty though, like when playing a racing game that uses rubber band style AI. I'm not bothered by repetitiveness, but it needs to be fun, and I would hope the novelty doesn't wear off fast.

I'm looking for a game that I can play with my family, especially my young daughter. We've played Skylanders: Swap Force together and had a blast. The way the screen operates while playing co-op makes everything simple to manage. We don't get lost and have a hard time finding each other again, and we can see when one of us is in danger and needs help during a fight. Also, do any of the current games have online co-op?

Which game has the most interesting characters? Looks aren't necessarily what I care about. What concerns me is their purpose. Can I play the entire game with just a few characters or do I need a 30 figure roster to get 100% out of the game? I don't want to buy an expensive game where the only difference with the characters are the name, skins, and outfits. I like how Skylanders has different elements, and during Swap Force different movement types for mini activities during each level. I haven't invested any time in trying to understand the different games on the market currently so I'm not sure how the different traps work in Trap Team, could someone quickly explain it. Do I get to use villains during the game if I catch one?

Do I need to buy additional items in order to get the most out of the game? I don't mean extra figures, that's a given. I mean, do I need to buy trap pieces, or level pieces, or whatever they may be creating nowadays in order to make more money.

And, last to my daughter, by not least to me, which game has the easiest, or the most fun, achievement list? Swap Force had a very easy achievement list but it was extremely boring. I like lists that have funny names, funny descriptions, fun/funny ways to unlock the achievements or an achievement list that requires absolutely no grinding.
Last edited 12-27-2014 at 11:38 AM by Infected Stray.
Based on everything I have read, to me Disney Infinity 2.0 seems like the best game. You get the Disney Princesses on one side, and the Avengers on the other. But since I have not played any of these figure games I can't say much more than that.
Which is the most entertaining gaming experience currently that requires additional figures in order to play?
Originally Posted by Infected Stray
This is obviously subjective, but I prefer Skylanders over Infinity. Skylanders is always a platformer with an occasional on rails shooter, where Infinity tries to mix it up and has races (and probably more stuff I didn't like it at all).

I'm looking for a game that I can play with my family, especially my young daughter. We've played Skylanders: Swap Force together and had a blast. The way the screen operates while playing co-op makes everything simple to manage. We don't get lost and have a hard time finding each other again, and we can see when one of us is in danger and needs help during a fight. Also, do any of the current games have online co-op?.
If you guys loved Swap Force, I imagine you'll like Trap Team even better. In my opinion, it's a much better game (pretty sure I detailed why in my review). Skylanders only has local co-op. I great resource for finding co-op games is Co-Optimus.

Which game has the most interesting characters? Looks aren't necessarily what I care about. What concerns me is their purpose. Can I play the entire game with just a few characters or do I need a 30 figure roster to get 100% out of the game? I don't want to buy an expensive game where the only difference with the characters are the name, skins, and outfits. I like how Skylanders has different elements, and during Swap Force different movement types for mini activities during each level. I haven't invested any time in trying to understand the different games on the market currently so I'm not sure how the different traps work in Trap Team, could someone quickly explain it. Do I get to use villains during the game if I catch one?
Personally, again, I like Skylanders better. My little girl is beyond the princess phase so even though the Infinity characters have great style, we like the names and funny voices of the Skylanders better. The Infinity ones usually sound like someone imitating the voice we all know so that's irritating.

Do I need to buy additional items in order to get the most out of the game? I don't mean extra figures, that's a given. I mean, do I need to buy trap pieces, or level pieces, or whatever they may be creating nowadays in order to make more money.
To get the most out of it, of course you will need more stuff. Otherwise, there is content you can't get to. Nothing like Swap Force and all those challenge hubs, ugh I hated those. I try to empower my daughter and we build her an all girl team, but occasionally boys are allowed. The traps are overpriced, I wouldn't recommend getting more than one per element unless you find a sale. They do a good job of making the trapping of the monsters fun. It's not like Pokemon where you can just catch them all over the wild, it's just boss fights. But once you have them trapped they will be available back in your hub world, so you can swap out this water guy for that water guy. It's simple, it's cute, your daughter will likely love it.

And, last to my daughter, by not least to me, which game has the easiest, or the most fun, achievement list? Swap Force had a very easy achievement list but it was extremely boring. I like lists that have funny names, funny descriptions, fun/funny ways to unlock the achievements or an achievement list that requires absolutely no grinding.
Swap Force was a grind and they backed away from that big time. If you play the entire game once, then again on Nightmare, you will probably have 1000 points. No going back to grind three stars in challenges. The achievements are much more like the first two Skylanders games.

Infinity I didn't like. The restrictions on when you can or can't use players was irritating, but maybe they've fixed that in 2.0.
Kaens, no, figures are still restricted in Infinity 2.0.

Personally, I cannot stand "Toy Box Mode" and all Disney games seem to based around that first now, with some level of story/campaign, second.

So, there will likely never be an Infinity game in our house, but we have all the Skylanders...
I also don't really like the way Infintiy seem to be too open "Build a World" with the occasional side quest.. well that's what is seems to me With Skylanders you have a set story and they give you everything you need to beat the game and the DLC is not on the market place but add new figures and play sets, which don't add achievements.. (which is good and bad) so you don't need to buy them to re-finish a game.
This is obviously subjective, but I prefer Skylanders over Infinity. Skylanders is always a platformer with an occasional on rails shooter, where Infinity tries to mix it up and has races (and probably more stuff I didn't like it at all).
Originally Posted by Kaens
Oh, races, cool! I bet its Kart junk though isn't it.
Oh, races, cool! I bet its Kart junk though isn't it.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
It's bad kart racing, around obstacle type courses. Maybe there is more later, but I didn't like Infinity at all so that one is all my daughter's. She never plays it, she prefers Skylanders & Minecraft. Occasionally some Keflings Wink
I don't own any games that use figures in any form...

From your experience: what game would be the best get started? 360 or One. On a sidenote: while cheaper games/figures would be great I'm mostly interested in the actual gameplay experience to get started. I can always go back (or forward) if I enjoy it
On a sidenote: while cheaper games/figures would be great I'm mostly interested in the actual gameplay experience to get started. I can always go back (or forward) if I enjoy it
Originally Posted by LSC MrSandman
I kind of just had an evil laugh to myself here. Unless you become dedicated to finding and paying sometimes A LOT of money for the earlier figures it is best to just choose a starting point buy what you feel comfortable with and go from there. Speaking for myself personally. I have well over $4000 invested in the skylanders franchise so at this point they kind of have me by the balls. I want to maximize my use for the investment but with each iteration of the game to keep up with the newest, biggest, greatest thing, you start piling money on top of money. I am ok with that at this point I just try and do everything all of the games have to offer to maximize, and yes that means completing tasks and other things not attached to achievements ::::gasp::::
I voted other and I really love Lego Dimensions
I voted other and I really love Lego Dimensions
Originally Posted by xLil SheWolfx
Was going to ask if anyone played and liked Dimensions. That's the one that would appeal most to me and my kids.
I thought all games required fingers.

Oh, wait, i read that wrong.
Dimensions really seems to now be the perfect game for cross playing your figures. Infinity was open world only for toy box mode bit then restricted you to certain types of characters for level play. Skylanders allows any character anytime but they are characters that are not as widely popular? as the Lego brand. Lego has seemingly put together the best of Skylanders and Infinity and fixed most everything else. If Lego can start licencing both Marvel and DC in the same game.....that would be pure gold for them because I think that is their only drawback right now.
None of them if you ask me, all designed to further persistently bleed money from you, in fact, would go so far to say worse than incomplete games with DLC.
None of them if you ask me, all designed to further persistently bleed money from you, in fact, would go so far to say worse than incomplete games with DLC.
Originally Posted by WoodlandSpirit
I'm not sure about the incomplete games part, the games are and have been 100% ready and completable on launch only needing the starter pack accessories, for the base 1k completion. So I'm not sure why you would use that example. I will agree with the slowly bleeding your money because if your a collector you get slammed by all the stuff you have to get also (imhop) LEGO has always been a little over priced.
The INfinity series was so underutilized and underrated. There is SOOOOOO much going on in those games and they are fun. Shame they will not continue.
The INfinity series was so underutilized and underrated. There is SOOOOOO much going on in those games and they are fun. Shame they will not continue.
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
Yeah I was gutted when they said there won't be anymore Disney Infinity that had potential.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account