A GTN Shared library of "easy" completion disc games

Feature Requests

Found 6 posts - Go to Last Post

Do you think we should do a GTN Game Library?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 6 (42.86%) Yes; I would love to participate in this

× 1 (7.14%) No; I don't think this is a good idea

× 7 (50.00%) I don't care. I'm just here for the poll.

• Added 07-24-2021 02:01 AM
  • 14 votes
Some years ago, I was a member of another site (now all but defunct as it's creators abandoned it) that had a shared game library that members could use like a Netflix/Gamefly set up. Once a game was completed, it was simply mailed to the next person on the list. I would love to see a similar thing happen here. We'd have to decide upon things like: would there be a max estimated completion time for eligible games and, if so, what that hour limit would be; would we limit how long a participant could borrow a game, and if so, how long is long enough; would there be restrictions or requirements for participation, and, if so, what would they be; would there be limits on how many games one could borrow at a time and would that ever change based on participation; who would maintain the database of games, participants/addresses, and who wants what; etc.
I remember that, and it was usually quick and easy completions, the kind of things you could knock out in an afternoon or a couple of days and pass along. It usually worked out pretty well for everyone involved. Mailing the games in a padded envelope usually only cost a few bucks, which was a great tradeoff for not having to rent or buy those games. Some of them also got filled with postcards per the request of the original owner to see where all the game had traveled to.

My only question would be, is there even enough games that would fit into this model that are out on disc, and do enough people still even use discs? I've been fully digital for years now, so it's an honest question.

And that old site died so many years ago not so much due to abandonment by its owners, but MS stopped feeding it the data that the blogs were built off of, and the site had database/memory issues that would have required a complete rewrite of the whole thing. It was a very sad day for many of us, but we found a very welcoming new community here at GTN without all the BS and pure greed that other gaming sites exhibit.
I remember that, and it was usually quick and easy completions, the kind of things you could knock out in an afternoon or a couple of days and pass along. It usually worked out pretty well for everyone involved. Mailing the games in a padded envelope usually only cost a few bucks, which was a great tradeoff for not having to rent or buy those games. Some of them also got filled with postcards per the request of the original owner to see where all the game had traveled to.

My only question would be, is there even enough games that would fit into this model that are out on disc, and do enough people still even use discs? I've been fully digital for years now, so it's an honest question.

And that old site died so many years ago not so much due to abandonment by its owners, but MS stopped feeding it the data that the blogs were built off of, and the site had database/memory issues that would have required a complete rewrite of the whole thing. It was a very sad day for many of us, but we found a very welcoming new community here at GTN without all the BS and pure greed that other gaming sites exhibit.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
As for the other things killing that site, I think I probably left before it got to that point as the owners had already vanished and the people left behind were unable to fix problems that were popping up as only the owners had the access to fix them. Either way, I'm glad that Eric puts so much love and attention to this site!

As for games, I honestly don't know how many games still fit. I know that some people prefer to go digital as much as possible. But, some people still like using discs when possible. I can't say how many Xbox One games (or, for that matter Series X games) would fit whatever criteria GTN users would come up with, but I imagine some people might still want to get some of those hard to get 360 games for completion. But, maybe not lol.
I would likely be interested. I am almost fully digital but I just purchased a copy of King's Quest Complete Collection for XBox 360 and I am looking for a physical copy of Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 for XBox 360. But I think we would need to see a list of what people want to play.
But I think we would need to see a list of what people want to play.
Originally Posted by LausDomini
Agreed. Of course, we'd also have to see what people are willing to "donate" or share with the library. This may be something that never happens for that reason alone lol
This was great back in the day so I answered yes but don't see the demand for it. Hundreds of easy games available to buy cheaper than it would cost to ship a game...but My Horse and Me 2 was a huge score in the 360 days!!

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account