GameStop to Start Buying, Selling Retro Consoles and Games

Gaming Chat

Found 15 posts - Go to Last Post

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6426646/

Even thought the title says it all there is the link.. Not sure if this is going to be good or not.. What do you guys think?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6426646/

Even thought the title says it all there is the link.. Not sure if this is going to be good or not.. What do you guys think?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
So, like they used to do, before they decided there wasn't enough profit in it, but now that their profits are shrinking faster than they can counter, they want any profits they can get?
That's awesome! Cause I love that old crap. Reminds me of me.
Another way to get forked by gameslop. Though I bet their dumpsters will be more of a treasure trove!
my local gamestop has been doing this for at least 5 or 6 years thats how i replaced my dreamcast n odysey 200 last year
my local gamestop has been doing this for at least 5 or 6 years thats how i replaced my dreamcast n odysey 200 last year
Originally Posted by chunky meconium

Yea they said they have had two test stores and I believe one of them was in your neck of the woods, but then again Game Stops are notorious for not following corporate orders, like when they were phasing out the original X-Box, quite a number of the GS around here still had a good amount of games. While I was visiting one day I was approached by a guy, said he was some sort of regional manager, because I was going thru the original X-Box games and he said that he was getting rid of everything that day so he would make me a really good deal if i wanted to buy more original X-Box games, though I though it was a ruse at first I was planing on buying quite a few anyway, so I told hm I would take him up on the offer.. he thought he was getting one over on me...lol.. So any way I asked him why the rush to get rid of the games and he says because the corporate bosses were coming into town and any Store (GS) that still had Original X-Box games in them would get in to big trouble, so he was going thru all his stores and basically telling the employees to get rid of them before the end of day, by what ever means. Looking back on this I should have just waited and net thru the dumpster at the end of the day.. but I also hear that Game Stops will intentional sabotage any games they throw out? Probably a lot of returns and crap old games and old Sports games they throw away anyway. Ok end babble mode..
Well, Gamestop did start doing boardgames last year, too. And now they have stopped...
Well, Gamestop did start doing boardgames last year, too. And now they have stopped...
Originally Posted by futiles
So a business testing new opportunities or Gamestop going the way of Blockbuster? They've out survived a lot of other businesses.
So a business testing new opportunities or Gamestop going the way of Blockbuster? They've out survived a lot of other businesses.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Blockbuster...

I knew the boardgames would not work, because of a unique need in that marketplace: open gaming space. To run a Brick&Mortar tabletop shop, you must have gamespace. Gamers want to open the box, go through the pieces, try it out, learn the mechanics, and they usually like doing it right there with other gamers. A Gamestop doesn't have that floor space.

As for going retro, that is directly responding to growing digital only market. Between free games, sales, and overall ease, this gen is finally seeing the digital sales increase to matching retail discs (with 2016 expected to be digital distribution exceeding retail). Gamestop was originally sitting there saying, "HEY!!! We sell online game codes! Come give us your money, then go home, punch in a code and download the game!" But, people realized, "Can't I do that without going to your store? Even if I don't want Microsoft or Sony to have my credit card, can't I buy online codes from Amazon, or Newegg, or Best Buy, or anyone, have the code instantly delivered to my e-mail, then immediately activate it and go, cutting the time to your store, dealing with an awful employee, then time back to the house completely out? And while I am at said website, I can browse for other stuff, gaming or not, and stupidly tack on more to buy from their diversified product list, which Gamestop doesn't offer?

Yes, Gamestop is going retro, but. we still have retro game stores, and they suck, they are dirty, and the employees are lazy, and everything seems like it is covered with dust, death, despair, and desease, and it is like that in every one I have been in for the past 2 decades, across 20 states...
Could care less, when I need a retro game fix and I need to see the physical copy instead of buying online, Game Over Video Games (with stores all over the great state of Texas) is my go to place.
Yes, Gamestop is going retro, but. we still have retro game stores, and they suck, they are dirty, and the employees are lazy, and everything seems like it is covered with dust, death, despair, and desease, and it is like that in every one I have been in for the past 2 decades, across 20 states...
Originally Posted by futiles
I hear what you are saying, and you're mostly correct. Old game stores are a lot like antiquing (which since I lived in Fredericksburg for a long time I am very familiar with). Estarland near me now is surprisingly nice. It's hit or miss when you go in there because the stock gets dug through and shuffled around a lot, but they definitely clean it up because when I swing in there on a weekday it's usually spotless. They host monthly gaming auctions where vendors are brought in and people sell their old crap, it's always the same people with mostly the same stuff but my daughter loves going. The employees are the same group of people always and they are always working hard, and are really friendly. Granted, this slows things down and the lines move pretty slow, but it's not like at a comic shop where people stand around and gab with the employees all day.

eStarland's Facebook page - They post about good trade ins or about the upcoming gamersXchange
gamersXchange Facebook - This has info about the monthly swapmeet

Anyhow, all I'm saying is it's not all of them, but I'm sure you are mostly right that it's nearly all of them.
I hear what you are saying, and you're mostly correct. Old game stores are a lot like antiquing (which since I lived in Fredericksburg for a long time I am very familiar with). Estarland near me now is surprisingly nice. It's hit or miss when you go in there because the stock gets dug through and shuffled around a lot, but they definitely clean it up because when I swing in there on a weekday it's usually spotless. They host monthly gaming auctions where vendors are brought in and people sell their old crap, it's always the same people with mostly the same stuff but my daughter loves going. The employees are the same group of people always and they are always working hard, and are really friendly. Granted, this slows things down and the lines move pretty slow, but it's not like at a comic shop where people stand around and gab with the employees all day.

eStarland's Facebook page - They post about good trade ins or about the upcoming gamersXchange
gamersXchange Facebook - This has info about the monthly swapmeet

Anyhow, all I'm saying is it's not all of them, but I'm sure you are mostly right that it's nearly all of them.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Which is fair, exceptions always happen. And LordChabelo13's example is also fair, but, it's a rather large chain, in one of the largest (by population and area) states. Neither of those will be Gamestop. Gamestop is barely better than the existing crop of retro stores as it is, and that is with selling new games with pre-order exclusives.

Unlike RadioShack, Gamestop is trying to fix itself earlier in the death spiral. However, like RadioShack and Blockbuster, it has already entered the spiral...
I agree Gamestop sees the writing on the wall and have been trying to find an alternate revenue stream. As you already mentioned, the download codes, then they started taking cell phones and tablets, they've expanded their "merch" offering and most stores are dedicating a large space for Skylanders. I don't know if they'll be able to survive, I don't really care though. I mean I do go in there often, but just because I love to dig and find stuff and impulse buy, but I'd never trade in there and rarely purchase anything in the stores.

I'll miss them when they are gone, just like I used to love going to Radioshack when I was a kid. I also was when to Woolworth, Sears, Zaires, Kmart, Kay-bee Toys, or K & K Toys. Probably lots more places I can't remember, like my local comic stores or hobby stores.
Hell I'm just hoping this helps me complete my collection, but also dreading that they are going to hick all the prices up.. grr..
Hell I'm just hoping this helps me complete my collection, but also dreading that they are going to hick all the prices up.. grr..
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
More likely you get everything at 70% off during the fire sale...

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account