Member of the Month October 2014 (porschephiliac)

Community Interviews

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

Hello and welcome, to the 1st of the month and we all now what that means. A new Member Interview! Here we find a semi-longer time GTN member who's not only been outspoken but also at times a bull wrangler, stepping in to quell heated discussions and policing our own. I think that's the Vet in him..I would like to personally thank him for this service not only to our country but to GTN as well, you make it a better place, as does all of our community Vets and our outspoken members. Without much more further a dew I give you our resident car lover porschephiliac!

Name:
Jacob (Or Jake)

What do you do for a living?
Currently I work for my dad at his 28 year old automotive repair shop in Sedona, AZ as a technician. It's always been my back-up trade, and after I got out of the army, it was supposed to be a transition job, but I really enjoy working on cars and spending time with my old man, so I'm still here more than 6 years after separation.

Tell me about your Gamertag?
porschephiliac
My tag came about for my peculiar love of all things Porsche. Before the army, I worked in a dealership with a custom shop in the back, where the owner and foreman was a trained master tech. We were talking one day, and he said "You know what Jake, you're such a porschephile, aren't you?" - I altered it to -iliac and it's been my online moniker since, near 20 years ago now.

When did you start playing?
My first console was a SEGA Master System I got for Christmas (maybe my brithday...?) in 1987 I think. I still have that one, along will virtually all the other consoles released since (except for PS3/4 and One). Wonder Boy III was my first real foray into side scrolling RPGs like Castlevania: SotN, which I am most fond of.

What's your play style? Ex: booster? Completionist? How often and long do you play?
I used to be obsessed with completion, but the combination of the grind and daily achievement streaks at 360Voice burned me out almost completely. I had boosted and all that stuff, but now I play only for fun and entertainment. If I am not having fun anymore, I'll quit and play something else.

Tell me a good gaming story or experience? ex: Epic win/fail, marathon, accomplishment, a time you visited a game convention or met someone...or anything.
I think the best story I have is when I went and tried to do a Live Event for 360Voice during the Halo 3 launch. I had a few friends help out with camera's and video, and we went to a Gamestop by Fort Drum (where I was stationed at the time) that had several hundred pre-orders for it, and we went and interviewed the first few guys in line, played some tournaments while we waited for the midnight launch. We passed out the Halo 3 ed. Mountain Dews, but after about 90 minutes or so of walking around this mall Gamestop, we were nearly arrested. We had to shut down our recordings, so it never was fully realized through 360Voice as hoped.

I also won a local Guitar Hero World Tour tournament a few years back.

What's your favorite game genre?
Sandbox style for sure, but not the Skyrim type, more the Saints Row and Crackdown, Borderlands series sort. I like to explore and have awesome weapons and fun. After that it's FPS/3PS games online. Playing with friends and having genuine fun is so much more entertaining.

Whats your favorite game on 360? ONE? Of all time (any system)
Hmm. There's been some fantastic games on the 360. I had a great deal of fun with both Borderlands, so I might say that is my favorite. I have only played Titanfall on One, so it is my favorite by default. As far as all time? It will always be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSOne). It's been HD rereleased on 360, but the original on PSOne is my alltime. It's still hooked up to this day when I want to totally space out.

If you were a Video Game or game character who and why?
Oh jeez. I think I'd like to be Kirby. Or Raiden from MGS2 - oh that lovely blonde hair! Just kidding. In all seriousness, I would like to be any protagonist that has integrity and good intentions at his deepest. Guys like Marcus, Price, even my own created Zer0 from Borderlands - the choices you make complete the character development for each player. However, I look most like Kirby, all pink and fluffy-fat.

Are you looking forward to any new releases?
I am always looking forward to the constant evolution of this niche. I have had a GameInformer subscription as long as I remember, and read it cover to cover monthly. There are so many cool games with innovations that still blow my mind coming out every month. I always look forward to BF and COD annuals, only for the campaign plot lines.

Do you collect or not so much?
I have kept virtually everything I have ever bought, from SEGA MS to now. It's nothing like Mango's or Tynstars or smrnov's collections, but it's modest and mostly in boxes (in my new garage!)

What's your favorite feature on GTN?
Badges of course! And the dedicated staff who keep this place rather smooth, despite all of us misfits, er, members, that plague it daily Big Grin

What would you tell people about GTN if you were trying to get them to join?
I tell folks how unique and non-competitive this environment is. GTN is a much more mature community than others I have been involved with, and those that stay around and contribute daily and weekly are worthwhile folks to get to know. The recent influx since 3Vs loss of support has simply exponentially increased this notion. We are intelligent and mature (most of the time) and we share gaming as a grander hobby, yet the extra camaraderie keeps us together.

Is there anything you would like added to the site?
I've submitted some ideas that have been implement when I joined just over a year ago, and I think in it's current state, it is a really complete experience. The minor details are usually picked up by someone and I am grateful that the issues are addressed so quickly. I think one great addition to the site would be me as a staff member (wink wink lol)

Thanks for the opportunity to share!

No Prorshe, thank you for your support and continued enthusiasm to the GTN. Please stop by his profile and leave comment, it helps with your badges as well as his and if you want to be IN THE SPOTLIGHT and receive your shiny new badge just head on over to GTN's official thread and give us a shout I'll put you in for consideration and maybe next time we'll be reading about you!
Last edited 01-08-2015 at 02:26 PM by B8TINGU.
Thanks! I forgot about this, so when I logged in and saw a shiny new badge, I was serendipitously thrilled!
Congrats Porshe! Few thoughts..
  1. Pretty sure you'd love Destiny
  2. Being a car guy, I seriously doubt the garage is the best place to store your boxed video games
  3. I agree boosting is waste of time
  4. Kirby is pretty cool
  5. Your tastes are basically the opposite of mine! You are the anti-Kaens!
Nice interview...I visited Sedona last summer, was very scenic and great for hiking!
Thanks, Buck!

Kaens:
1. I think I will. Too many projects around the new house limits by gaming budget Frown
2 yes, when I did the interview, we had barely moved. The collection is now closet based Big Grin
3. Oh so bad. Hated myself sometimes.
4. Who doesn't?!
5. So does that make me sneaK? X)

Elemental: I wish I'd known! I'd have taken you to the good spots. I grew up.there, believe it or not, and it still stuns me how gorgeous the place is. Next time, we'll get together Smile
Thanks, Buck!

Kaens:
1. I think I will. Too many projects around the new house limits by gaming budget Frown
2 yes, when I did the interview, we had barely moved. The collection is now closet based Big Grin
3. Oh so bad. Hated myself sometimes.
4. Who doesn't?!
5. So does that make me sneaK? X)

Elemental: I wish I'd known! I'd have taken you to the good spots. I grew up.there, believe it or not, and it still stuns me how gorgeous the place is. Next time, we'll get together Smile
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Sounds good, hope to get back there again someday since we were staying in Phoenix and just drove up for a day. We hiked the Little Horse and Devil's Bridge trails and stopped at the Oak Creek brewery after.
Congrats Porsche!! Great interview!! Thank you for your service! Smile
Sounds good, hope to get back there again someday since we were staying in Phoenix and just drove up for a day. We hiked the Little Horse and Devil's Bridge trails and stopped at the Oak Creek brewery after.
Originally Posted by Elem3ntal80
You were at the brewery? That is literally across the street from our shop. Literally/ I am looking at the silo right now. How insane is that! Devil's Bridge is cool, but there's some much better stuff hidden away - I'll hook you up next time Wink
Congrats Porsche!! Great interview!! Thank you for your service! Smile
Originally Posted by ThrR4nMyWolfpak
Thank you!
Great Interview. :-)
Originally Posted by Frostbite
I feel honored that you first post was this, Frostbite. How ya been, old friend?

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account