Found 14 posts - Go to Last Post

Has anyone here used them? I created an account, but, have not actually rented anything, yet. I was wondering what people thought about the service.
Is that supposed to be like a free movie streaming site? I took a look and it looks like it may be a newer one, because it doesn't have a lot of movies and the featured movies on the splash images don't have links nor can I find some of those movies to watch. Personally I stay away from sites like this that make you create a free account and throw some legal jargon up. Without creating a free account this is my thoughts: The only real redeeming quality's of this site that I saw was that they give you a trailer of the movie and is at least looks like a pretty good quality picture (sans no dubbing or subtitles) like other streaming movie sites. Also look like you could probably get a lot of those movies via NETFLIX.
Is that supposed to be like a free movie streaming site? I took a look and it looks like it may be a newer one, because it doesn't have a lot of movies and the featured movies on the splash images don't have links nor can I find some of those movies to watch. Personally I stay away from sites like this that make you create a free account and throw some legal jargon up. Without creating a free account this is my thoughts: The only real redeeming quality's of this site that I saw was that they give you a trailer of the movie and is at least looks like a pretty good quality picture (sans no dubbing or subtitles) like other streaming movie sites. Also look like you could probably get a lot of those movies via NETFLIX.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
It is a legit site, the movies are not free, they are purely a rental. Ultraflix is built in to smart televisions via an app or through a streaming device's app. And they are only on the flagship model sets from Vizio, LG, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony. It is almost exclusively 4K content. That is the attraction.

Oh, and they just signed an exclusive deal with Universal-Paramount, so, all of those movies will be leaving Netflix and Hulu and Amazon, and going to Ultraflix.

I'm not concerned about legitimacy of the site or the business, I was concerned over the actual streaming quality. Does lip sync stay on point or does it wander? Is the stream robust? Will I notice quality dips? Is it a per watch rental or do you have a viewing window?

I'll be perfectly honest. After a combined 10 years of video acquisition and distribution during my career, I am a complete quality snob. And, I would rather not even waste the time if the lip sync is off, or there is buffering, or the quality adjusts mid-stream. It is not even a money thing, it is an enjoyment thing. I can no longer go to theaters that use film (there are a few) after opening week, because all I see are the scratches in the cells the whole movie. (That, and the load next reel blip.)
It is a legit site, the movies are not free, they are purely a rental. Ultraflix is built in to smart televisions via an app or through a streaming device's app. And they are only on the flagship model sets from Vizio, LG, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony. It is almost exclusively 4K content. That is the attraction.

Oh, and they just signed an exclusive deal with Universal-Paramount, so, all of those movies will be leaving Netflix and Hulu and Amazon, and going to Ultraflix.

I'm not concerned about legitimacy of the site or the business, I was concerned over the actual streaming quality. Does lip sync stay on point or does it wander? Is the stream robust? Will I notice quality dips? Is it a per watch rental or do you have a viewing window?

I'll be perfectly honest. After a combined 10 years of video acquisition and distribution during my career, I am a complete quality snob. And, I would rather not even waste the time if the lip sync is off, or there is buffering, or the quality adjusts mid-stream. It is not even a money thing, it is an enjoyment thing. I can no longer go to theaters that use film (there are a few) after opening week, because all I see are the scratches in the cells the whole movie. (That, and the load next reel blip.)
Originally Posted by futiles
That makes more sense, I was wondering why they so heavy affiliated themselves with certain TV brands. 4K you say, well I guess I'm not qualified to talk about this yet as I don't own a 4K TV yet and probably won't for quite sometime. So it's rental? Why not try a month out or a few movies and see what's up? If they are affiliated with the brands and have made the deal you sy they have then I don't see why it shouldn't have the quality. That sucks if Netflix will be loosing even more content, they already lost Stars but they are making up for it by producing their own stuff.
That makes more sense, I was wondering why they so heavy affiliated themselves with certain TV brands. 4K you say, well I guess I'm not qualified to talk about this yet as I don't own a 4K TV yet and probably won't for quite sometime. So it's rental? Why not try a month out or a few movies and see what's up? If they are affiliated with the brands and have made the deal you sy they have then I don't see why it shouldn't have the quality. That sucks if Netflix will be loosing even more content, they already lost Stars but they are making up for it by producing their own stuff.
Like I said, renting a single movie (specifically, I want to watch Interstellar in 4K on the new 80") and it having lip sync off would drive me crazy. The money would not be an issue, but the frustration of the experience would. I'll probably end up trying it, but, I was hoping there was an outside chance someone would have tried it.

(I ask, because on a couple of the trailers I watched, lip sync was off, by a lot, and while trailers are rarely indicative of quality, it caused me concern.)
I watched a few trailers and lip sync was fine on my end, but then again I was watching on a computer, if that would make any difference. Good luck.
I watched a few trailers and lip sync was fine on my end, but then again I was watching on a computer, if that would make any difference. Good luck.

Huge difference. Surround sound vs stereo. Refresh rate. Resolution of the trailer. And, how susceptible to
lip sync are you. Most people won't even notice a couple of frames of leading audio, while many find a couple frames of trailing video distracting. At the office, I can usually identify a single frame offset. And since I am trained to look for it, I do without trying. So, even very slight become distracting.
It's a huge problem with any kind of action or even quick movement and camera cuts.
My question is what is your bandwidth and speed like? Even with an above average internet plan with an ISP, I wouldn't expect current download speeds to smoothly handle that level of content just yet.
It's a huge problem with any kind of action or even quick movement and camera cuts.
My question is what is your bandwidth and speed like? Even with an above average internet plan with an ISP, I wouldn't expect current download speeds to smoothly handle that level of content just yet.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
75/75 - with speed test off and on peak averaging actually near 80/80.

H.265 can do 4K at less than 20Mbps, though.
Originally Posted by futiles
Do you have a source for this? I'd like to read more.
Do you have a source for this? I'd like to read more.
Originally Posted by N0RVY
I'll have to look it up, again. When I was searching for 4K content providers, they came up, often, and that came up with it.
That doesn't mention the exclusivity, but a lot of those titles check out with the leaving soon list, thanks!
Someone did a great write up of the movings between streamers, and it was rather entertaining.

Since some of the providers (NBC-Universal) are selling their films exclusively to one provider (Ultraflix) while having ownership in another (Hulu). And on the surface, it would seem like they would work together, but, anti-trust and arms-length laws are what makes situations like this happen.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account