Achievement Updates for Myst

Achievement Info Submissions

Found 2 posts - Go to Last Post

Completed
thanatos8285 has submitted 21 achievement update(s) for Myst.

Proposed Updates:

Title: Stack Overflow
[ID: 232129]
- Stackable: Yes

Stackable with any of the ending achievements

Title: Stoneship
[ID: 232130]
- Main Storyline: Yes
- Missable: No

Not missable, there is no way to get trapped in the various ages, and even if you do a speedrun to the good ending and the red and blue books are destroyed, it's still possible to travel to the various ages, complete the puzzles, and return, unlocking the achievement.

The main storyline tag is debatable since you CAN rush to the good ending without doing them, but doing so requires using a guide to circumvent the way the game is meant to be played. I think you could argue in either direction, but I'm casting my vote for them being Main Storyline achievements.

Title: Mechanical
[ID: 232131]

Same rationale as the Stoneship achievement

Title: Selenitic
[ID: 232132]

Title: Channelwood
[ID: 232133]

Title: D'ni
[ID: 232134]
- Main Storyline: No
- Missable: Yes

This is missable, as there are 3 possible bad endings, and if any of those occur, you cannot return to Myst Island. You have to go to D'ni with the white page. If you fill the red book or fill the blue book, you end up trapped in the respective book, and if you travel to D'ni without the white page, you end up trapped there.

Also, even if you do get the good ending, returning to the island is basically a post-game free roam. All of the story beats are complete at that point, so it's arguably not a main storyline achievement either, though I think that one could be argued either way.

Title: Speedy
[ID: 232135]

Stackable with Know-It-All

Title: Roommates
[ID: 232136]

Title: You Fool!
[ID: 232137]

Title: I'm Free!
[ID: 232138]

Title: Know-It-All
[ID: 232139]

Stackable with Stack Overflow, Speedy, and Everything Is In Its Place.

Title: Everything Is In Its Place
[ID: 232140]
- Missable: Yes

Missable for the same reasons noted in D'ni, Stackable with Stack Overflow, Speedy, and Know-It-All.

Title: Safecracker
[ID: 232142]

Not missable, part of the normal story progression to reach the Channelwood Age. As with the Stoneship achievement, you don't technically have to do any of the ages to achieve a good ending, so there's an argument that the Main Storyline flag doesn't apply, but I'm tagging it as such for the same reasons given there.

Title: Journeyman Electrician
[ID: 232143]

Not missable, part of the normal story progression to reach the Selentic Age. Same arguments regarding the Main Storyline flag apply as I've made in other spots.

Title: Stargazer
[ID: 232145]

Not missable, part of the normal story progression to reach the Stoneship Age. Same arguments regarding the Main Storyline flag apply as I've made in other spots.

Title: Salvager
[ID: 232146]

Not missable, part of the normal story progression to reach the Stoneship Age. Same arguments regarding the Main Storyline flag apply as I've made in other spots.

Title: Can Opener
[ID: 232147]

Not missable, part of the normal story progression to reach the Channelwood Age. Same arguments regarding the Main Storyline flag apply as I've made in other spots.

Title: Top Of The World
[ID: 232148]

Not missable, can hop in the tree at any time and ride it to the highest spot.

Title: He Is Preparing
[ID: 232150]

Not missable, can go to the Channelwood Age and activate the message at any time.

Title: Beacon
[ID: 232151]

Not missable, the compass puzzle is part of the Stoneship Age and as with the other achievements noted, can be completed at any time. Same arguments regarding the Main Storyline flag apply as I've made in other spots.

Title: It's Bob!
[ID: 232152]

Not missable, can go to the Mechanical Age and aim the telescope at the skeleton at any time.

Sources/Context:
Unclear why so many achievements were marked as missable - the game can be reloaded to immediately before the end-game decision if any of the bad endings are achieved, and if the good ending is achieved, you are free to return to Myst Island, at which point you can do any of the achievements for which I'm proposing removing the missable flag.
Game Profile:
Myst

Game Manager Links:
Edit this Game
Manage Achievements

Submitted by:
thanatos8285

Staff Tools:
Update approved submissions total (each approved change is counted cumulatively)
Status changed to 'Completed' - Thank you for your submission. I have added the appropriate labels for the achievements and credited your submissions total.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account