Gears of War on Netflix

General Chat

Found 21 posts - Go to Last Post

I said CABLE, not HBO. HBO is a premium content channel above and beyond cable. My specific was when cable was introduced, bringing channels like WGN, TBS, Nickelodeon, etc to the masses, meaning they all needed content to show, leading some to be split channels or go off air.

HBO was introduced after cable, and it launched with original content, it was not just movies. It had news and sports in addition to movies, in fact, Cinemax was its Spinoff Product to focus on films, Cinema Max...

But, streaming vs cable, considering Netflix/AppleTV/Roku/Hulu/Disney+ as a modern analogy of Nickelodeon/TBS/WGN is very proper.
Originally Posted by futiles

But is it tho? I guess I was looking at it from the premium channels angle as a better comparison to streaming. Only because they are using a similar model to HBO (Broadcasting studio films and making their own shows, films, & comedy specials) where as Nickelodeon for example was carving a specific part of market. Kids mainly & Nick at Night was old show reruns. TBS would syndicate shows all the time, they would also show baseball games. All the basic channels of course created some content I can see your point. Those that complained in that fashion were likely part of the major networks. A lot of those cable channels though were specific to audiences you can't deny that. MTV, VH1 for music, Animal Planet, Comedy Central, CNN (before there was 24 hour news), The Food Network, BET, The Sci-Fi Channel, Court TV, YES Network (Yankee Baseball), Lifetime for the ladies, and the list goes on.

Netflix which is what I use mostly is dipping a lot into all of these genres for lack of a better word. They are making cooking shows, kid shows, animation, Comedy specials, Crime docs, the one thing that hey don't touch upon much is sports. Then we have all the other service playing catch up along with existing entertainment entities like HBO making content. It will stretch the talent pool, but I see your point as well.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account