What did you do with your Christmas dinner leftovers?

General Chat

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

What do you do with your Christmas dinner leftovers?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 1 (4.35%) Bubble and Squeak all the way!

× 2 (8.70%) Mmm, I make them into a nice curry

× 7 (30.43%) I plate up ANOTHER Christmas dinner and eat it all again!

× 1 (4.35%) Straight to the dog / cat / pig / mother-in-law

× 0 (0%) Bin them. Yup, sad but true.

× 2 (8.70%) Box them up for family / friends / homeless

× 8 (34.78%) ...What leftovers?

× 2 (8.70%) Other (please enlighten us!)

• Added 12-27-2022 11:55 AM
  • 23 votes
There's only once choice for me... Bubble and squeak! Get all the cabbage / meat / potatoes / stuffing / veg, mash it into a big patty, add some ghost pepper sauce and shallow fry it like a pancake with a good dollop of oil. Fried egg on top... Boom!

Absolutely glorious!

But what do you do with your Christmas dinner leftovers?
Boxing Day is the perfect time to reheat and reuse - who want to do proper cooking the day after anyway? What survives that ends up in the dog.
This year, instead of a "traditional" Christmas dinner, I made my household some Stuffed Chicken Parmesan, Stuffed Manacotti with Alfredo sauce, and Gnocchi soup. It made for great left overs the next day.
We did finger food type stuff. I sent most of the sweets and a variety of the other food with a great aunt for her family’s get together because we were just going to toss them.

We did keep the honey baked ham and Turkey, fun fetti dip and smoked pork loin. Reheated at various times, but it’s all gone now except the fun fetti dip and that will be getting the toss tomorrow when we clean the fridge out to go shopping for the work week.
I cannot express my disappointment at the lack of bubble and squeak related one-pan mashery in this poll.

You're a bunch of cultured non-animals.

On a other note, I've got traditionally Greek homemade Yuvetsi currently in the oven, ready for getting munched with a feta crumble.

Satisfied? Parmesan stuffs and Gnocchi indeed...
I cannot express my disappointment at the lack of bubble and squeak related one-pan mashery in this poll.
Originally Posted by C64 Mat
I had to look up what this actually was. We had no leftovers as we visited family instead of hosting.
I had to look up what this actually was. We had no leftovers as we visited family instead of hosting.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
Fried foods? I don't 100% believe Google.

Also - I have never fried anything in oil at home. I have used a countertop air fryer a handful of times when we were eating pizza rolls, fries, nuggets, etc. in college. However, I haven't used one in years, until last night. My new oven has an air fryer built in and we haven't used in it the couple of months that we have had it so we took it for a test ride for some chicken. It gave it a nice crunch.

Also - I have never fried anything in oil at home. I have used a countertop air fryer a handful of times when we were eating pizza rolls, fries, nuggets, etc. in college. However, I haven't used one in years, until last night. My new oven has an air fryer built in and we haven't used in it the couple of months that we have had it so we took it for a test ride for some chicken. It gave it a nice crunch.
Originally Posted by Kaiteh
I am from Louisiana originally, and the fried turkey phenomenon started there. I used to fry up to 9 birds for events (like Sugar Bowl and Super Bowl parties). We should fry turkeys at Achievement Fest one year...

Originally Posted by Kaiteh
You never even fry an egg? Sunny side? Or minced beef, say for Mexican dishes? Or onions, for a hotdog / burger?

I'm talking about shallow frying here, a bit of oil in a pan. Not deep frying, where the food is submerged in a vat of boiling oil for a minute or so, like French fries.

In Britain, we have what's known as the "Full English", which is usually eaten at breakfast time on a weekend day, and used to be also known as a "Fry Up", because most of it was fried in oil... Or at one time, lard (animal fat)! We even fried the sliced white bread. Over time this has become a slightly healthier "Grill Up", as almost all of it is now cooked in an oven or under a grill (not a barbecue, a British grill - "Broiled" you might say. What an awful word!)

Here's what's known as the Full Monty version, a large Full English with everything on:
  • 2 sausages
  • 2 back bacon (not the streaky crispy stuff, more like a super thin pork steak)
  • 2 fried eggs, sunny side with soft yolks
  • Sliced / chopped mushrooms, fried in butter
  • baked beans (the British canned ones in tomato sauce)
  • Plum tomatoes, either halved and grilled or skinned ones out of a tin, gently simmered
  • 2 Hash Browns
  • 2 slices of black pudding (blood sausage)
  • 2 slices of toast / fried bread
  • Brown Sauce / HP sauce / Ketchup for dipping

There are many variations of course. Some people prefer scrambled or poached eggs, or might only have one sausage or one bacon, or might have tomatoes instead of beans etc.

So yeah, at one time all of that apart from the bake beans was fried in fat / oil. Now, the only thing you regularly get fried is the egg (unless you opt for poached), and the rest is cooked under a grill or in a saucepan, for the tomatoes / beans.
Last edited 01-07-2023 at 06:47 PM by C64 Mat.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account