How do you feel about broken achievements?

Gaming Chat

Found 23 posts - Go to Last Post

How do you feel about broken achievements?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 12 (28.57%) I'll play and enjoy the game regardless!

× 2 (4.76%) I'll only play if I hear there's a fix on the way

× 8 (19.05%) I'll play after the game has been fixed

× 12 (28.57%) I'll move onto something else instead, and wait for a fix AND a sale

× 2 (4.76%) I'll never play it now. Forget about it.

× 6 (14.29%) I'll rant and rave and be personally offended, like on TA.

• Added 12-30-2022 03:10 PM
  • 42 votes
For today's poll, I thought I'd ask about that inescapable fact of modern gaming: broken achievements.

So, you have a game you've been looking forward to for a while. It looks really good, and you're looking forward to playing. Then the news hits: some of the achievements don't work. At this point in time, there's no guarantee they'll be fixed or not; how do you feel? Will you still buy the game? Will you avoid it until it's fixed? Will you now never bother?

For me personally, I don't really care. A game that's full of broken achievements that I wasn't interested in anyway I'll stay away from, of course. But if it's something I've been looking forward to, then I enjoy the game first and foremost. If the broken achievements get fixed, then great! I'll do my best to complete it. But I'd they don't, I'll unlock what I can and enjoy the game I've been looking forward to.

But how do you feel about the situation?
Microsoft doesn't care about achievements either!
- They sell you games without achievements
- They sell you games with broken achievements
- They sell you games with closed servers
- etc...

Xbox was who created this? I'm wrong?
It really just comes down to the game and how I'm feeling about achievements at that time. I used to be very set on getting every achievement and playing lots of games. However, as time has gone on games I've played went offline or had DLC added with no achievements, I've jumped and bounced around between games, and I've spent less time actually playing the games, I care less and less about getting all achievements in a game. Despite my somewhat obsessive nature I've been going back more towards when I was a kid and there weren't achievements, when I played games for fun and maybe a bit of a personal challenge.
It really just comes down to the game and how I'm feeling about achievements at that time. I used to be very set on getting every achievement and playing lots of games. However, as time has gone on games I've played went offline or had DLC added with no achievements, I've jumped and bounced around between games, and I've spent less time actually playing the games, I care less and less about getting all achievements in a game. Despite my somewhat obsessive nature I've been going back more towards when I was a kid and there weren't achievements, when I played games for fun and maybe a bit of a personal challenge.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
I've always been a completionest, but of course you don't know if you're going to enjoy a game until you play it. If I unlock one stupid achievement in a game and end up hating it, I'll leave it - I won't waste my time playing it to achievement completion just because it's now on my tag.

But if I love a game, completing the achievements (as much as I am able to at any rate) becomes part of the whole package for me.

However, as I state, the game always comes first. Never judge a gamer by their achievements Lol

I love From Soft games, but I'll likely never complete any of the achievement lists. I still buy them and love them though, and I like going back to games I love and restarting them with different approaches. This means I end up with a lot of half achievement completions! I've done this with Dark Souls so many times.

On Steam, I've got almost a thousand hours in Factorio, but I think I've got... One achievement? Because I love the opening hours of the game, getting everything set up for the first time. Love it. I'm much less bothered about creating a self-propogating factory and just letting it run for no reason.

Lately though, I've been playing a LOT of my old C64 collection, and some brand new C64 games too! Been building a database too for a friend's emulation collection which has been great fun, playing the games as I've gone along.

One thing which surprises me, but really shouldn't, is just how playable a lot of the old games are still. Cyberdyne Warrior is a brilliant as when I first played it back in the nineties. So smooth and responsive.
I voted the final option but my real answer is that it’s on a case by case basis.

Ultimately comes down to how badly I want to play the game. If a new release in a favorite franchise or genre has a broken achievement, that won’t stop me, but if I’m on the fence about playing a game, a broken achievement is enough to keep me away. Best example was a 360 game from about ten years back, Deadfall Adventures. The 1930s pulp setting and combination of FPS and puzzle mechanics was enough for me to overlook the unobtainable achievement.

I will say that I see broken achievements as a red flag insofar as they indicate a lack of polish/care/development time. A bit like the famous “no brown M&Ms in the dressing room” clause in Van Halen’s contracts - if the little things aren’t done properly, it can be a sign that there’s more major problems. And in the case of Deadfall Adventures, this turned out to be the case - it’s a budget game from a smaller dev with all the typical shortcomings you’d expect. (I still enjoyed it though.)
I should clarify, I'm talking about a game you've been looking forward to Smile
I’m indifferent. I have discontinueds and unobtainables on my tag already and my completion % is bad because this has been my one and only tag and I’ve only been actively achievement hunting the past few years.

I have been aiting on Far Cry 2 servers to be fixed before starting the game so I can go for the full series completion. Of course I was super happy the other day when they came up. I got 10/14 discontinued achievements and then the stupid game broke again. It’s on my tag now so I’ll eventually mosey on to get the other obtainable ones but I’ll always be disappointed in a game that I can’t fully complete if I had the chance.

Also why I went ahead and knocked out Instincts Predator MP stuff the past 2 days and Far Cry 4 will be started shortly.

In the end, if I want to play it bad enough I will, but I don’t try to start things that are known to be broken just because it’s disappointing to me.
Depends if I knew about it before hand, and I dont normally look up details of achievements, just number of available achievements.

Master Architect in Assasin's Creed Unity not unlocking was really annoying, not to mention numerous achievements in Mafia II: Definitive Edition.
If games launch with MP/broken achievements it pretty much ceases to exist for me. If I'm lucky and can knock out some of the MP stuff first during AF, then maybe I'll think about playing a game. But, for the most part, MP/Broken/Unobtainable achievements means I'm not playing it.
If the game is fun, I play it. If the game is not fun, I do not play it. Achievements have very little impact on that. I like achievements, and the pop during play is very fun, but, the fact that there is some thing I may or may not ever get means nothing to me.
Last edited 01-05-2023 at 03:00 PM by futiles.
Most of the time if any game has broken achievements I will just avoid it with some few exceptions of course.

Half of my enjoyment while playing a game is getting that %100 completion.
what's that little nod in TAs direction here? ;D i just today logged back in here and am wondering what the sentiment towards TA is here?
what's that little nod in TAs direction here? ;D i just today logged back in here and am wondering what the sentiment towards TA is here?
Originally Posted by Foerl
There is a non-zero number of people that have left TA for one reason or another, usually centered around the way the site is handled from the creator down and/or the way the users often created witch hunt type mobs. So, there is a prevalent negative atmosphere towards a non-insignificant amount of the TA experience.
There is a non-zero number of people that have left TA for one reason or another, usually centered around the way the site is handled from the creator down and/or the way the users often created witch hunt type mobs. So, there is a prevalent negative atmosphere towards a non-insignificant amount of the TA experience.
Originally Posted by futiles
so this is some kind of refuge? ^^
For me, a sanctuary.
Refuge, sanctuary, club house, just another place on the web... One of those things.
So Many games and a lot of stupid online achievements ,the achievements take so long time. I don't play Games With impossible achievements and don't buy any Game With impossible achv : imposible - Broken achv
I don't really care about broken achievements.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account