Member of the Month May 2017 (Adorabear)

Community Interviews

Found 19 posts - Go to Last Post

May the 2nd be the first...er... um May the seconds count.....to uh, this interview...that I missed putting up, BUT IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!! Really though, but hey its like a weird change of pace. Look just bear with me, Smile I'm trying my hardest to be adorable enough to make you forgive me here.. (big sad eyes).....................Well ok then, let find something else to be adorable....like a baby bear, their adorable right, unless its gnawing on your leg!!! Hey, you know whats really adorable though, really, its when two people find find each other and from a common interest and from a long distance....I mean take a look at our newest Member of the Month she moved countries to be with that special someone... er... well... sort of.. maybe I should let her tell you all about it.

Name:
Kimi

Where do you live?
In Vancouver, BC with Capn Doug

What do you do for a living?
Right now, I'm not doing anything since I am currently going through the immigration process to become a Canadian. There are a lot of rules I have to follow, and one of those is not being allowed to work until I get to a certain point in the process. Unfortunately a lot of things count as working including volunteering, so I have occupying my time doing a lot of other things like gaming and painting.

Tell me about your Gamertag?
My gamertag is Adorabear, and it comes from combining the words adorable and bear. I am a huge animal lover, and my absolute favourite is bears! The first trip I ever took with Capn Doug was to Vancouver Island where we went bear watching, and it was a very good trip that left an impact on me. We saw so many black bears, including two adorable baby bears. As a souvenir, I bought a really cute baby black bear stuffed animal to remember the visit. Doug called it an "adorabear", and the word just stuck with me. I decided to use it as my gamertag since it is original and fitting with my love of bears.

When did you start playing?
I started playing video games when I was about two or three years old on my dad's Gameboy, and I have just kept playing. I don't remember what my first game was, but I believe it was either Tetris or Frogger.

What's your play style? Ex: booster? Completionist? How often and long do you play?
I guess I would be completionist as well as someone who just plays for fun. I try to finish all of my games to the best of my ability, but I do have games where I don't care if I complete them or not because I enjoy them and play them for fun. Examples of this are a lot of fighting games, music games, and bullet hell games. I didn't get to play a ton in the past thanks to a very heavy course load when I was still in school, but now that I have tons of free times on my hands, I play a lot everyday on one of my consoles.

What’s your current gaming setup like?
I have two rooms where I will play games, which are the bedroom and the living room. In the bedroom, I have my Xbox 360 and Playstation 2 connected to the TV (I think it's about 37"). In the living room, we have Doug's Xbox 360 and Xbox One connected to a new 42" TV we got on Boxing Day. We have other consoles in the room as well like Gamecube and the NES, but they haven't bee used in ages. I also have several handheld consoles that I like to play on like my Vita, PSP, DS, and 3DS as well as a tablet that is used for Windows 8 games and reading visual novels.

Tell me a good gaming story or experience? ex: Epic win/fail, marathon, accomplishment, a time you visited a game convention or met someone...or anything.
I guess a good gaming story would be my story of meeting Capn Doug since it involves gaming. We first met each other through playing co-op together in Splosion Man with a couple of mutual friends. I didn't end up talking much since I am really shy, but we stayed in contact. The next time we gamed again was in Ms Splosion Man when both of us were working on the co-op achievements. We got to know each other a lot better through playing that one, and it was a fun time...even when we died so many times that the game said the game DVD could not save the level. A bit less than a year later, I came to Vancouver on a visa and ended up using his guest room for a few days while I was getting settled... and then I ended up staying longer, and then I just didn't leave. XD It's funny that the Splosion Man games keep appearing in random ways in our lives, from our love of donuts to inside jokes, even down to our wedding cake that has orange and pink on the inside. :P

Do you have a special shout out to anyone in particular in the gaming community?
Well, obviously I need to give a shoutout to Capn Doug for being awesome, introducing me to this site, and being the best partner ever! ^_^ Besides him, shoutout to HyruleBalverine for helping me feel welcome and inviting me to the Killer Instinct boosting sessions and to B8TINGU for this opportunity to be Member of the Month! Also, not sure if he will see this, but shoutout to Target for being a great friend of mine for so many years; he was one of my first friends in the gaming community, and several years later, we are still good friends! Big Grin

What's your favorite game genre?
I'm not sure I have one favourite genre since I like to play a variety of stuff, but the ones I like the most are action, hack and slash, fighting, music, platformer, RPG, and visual novel. So, basically, I like almost everything...except for shooters or sports. :P

What’s your favorite game on 360? ONE? Of all time (any system)
Favourite game on the 360 would probably be Lost Odyssey, which is an absolutely amazing JRPG if you haven't played it! This game completely blew me away, and everything about it is just perfect from the soundtrack to the wonderful cast of characters. The story was really good; there were parts of this game that actually made me cry. Last but certainly not least is the dream sequences...these were my favourite thing about the game since they were extremely well written and powerful.

For the X1....I honestly haven't played that much for it, but I think my favourite would have to be Fantasia: Music Evolved. I think this game doesn't get nearly enough attention since it requires Kinect, but it is extremely well done. The Kinect in this game works extremely well, it is super fun, and it is a great music game! I also enjoyed interacting with all of the worlds in the game since it was very calming.

Of all time, there are a lot of games I could pick here, but I think I would have to pick Rayman Legends. Rayman Legends is my favourite platformer and a game I just can not get enough of...I even 100%ed it three times (360, X1, and Vita which was the hardest one thanks to the diamond cup trophy and the fact that my save got corrupted twice...I actually completed the story on that one three times XD) and wish I had another console with the game to complete it on. I have a Rayman problem. :P

What is your worst game and Why?
Hm... I think I would have to say Dungeon Fighter Live: Fall of Hendon Myre. I bought this to play with a friend since we thought it would be fun, but we were very wrong. It started out okay at first, but then it got ridiculous, glitched out on us so we had to do everything on the hardest difficulty twice, and then were forced to spend real money on Resurrection Stones in order to finish some floating dungeon thing.... :/ I remember the person I played this with referred to it as "Dungeon Shit Wiper" and I can't think of a better name for it. Please avoid this game!

If you were a Video Game or game character who and why?
Hmm...maybe Red from Pokemon? I think it would be awesome to be an actual Pokemon trainer!

Are you looking forward to any new releases?
I'm looking forward to Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony since I am a big fan of the series, and I really want to see where the story is going to go next. Sonic Mania is also really interesting to me since I love Sonic, and I am curious to see how Marvel vs Capcom Infinite will be. Besides those three, I can't think of any new releases that I would want right now. I usually buy games long after they are released since new games are very expensive here, so I won't get something close to release unless I really want it badly.

Do you collect or not so much?
I am definitely a collector! I really like collecting games (I hope to get around to playing all of them someday) and I have several hundred across all of my different systems. I have been trying to cut back on adding more games to it lately since I am trying to work on making a big dent in the backlog, but it is quite challenging; sales can be extremely tempting sometimes!

What else do you do besides gaming?
I have recently gotten into painting after taking some classes at an art centre nearby, and I have been really enjoying it! I used to do a lot of different types art in school for fun like drawing, ceramics, and photography, but painting was one that I wish I learned more about, and I am so glad that I decided to get back into it. It can be really calming and relaxing, and it is a fun way to help get rid of stress. I have been experimenting with all types of stuff and have learned some interesting stuff about painting since I started a few months ago.

What's your favorite feature on GTN?
Definitely the badges! Big Grin The badge feature is really unique and one of the main things that got me to sign up in the first place. They are a lot of fun to go for, and they have given me some motivation to work on a lot of various things that I may have not tried to if the badge didn't exist such as playing/completing certain games, going for the 15K in a week, and trying to get 100K within a year, which is my main gaming goal right now.

What would you tell people about GTN if you were trying to get them to join?
I would tell them that it is a wonderful community filled with friendly faces and helpful staff. It may not be the biggest gaming site out there, but I think it is one of the best. It has a lot of awesome features like the badges, leaderboards, stats, and there is constantly things being added to the site. It is a great place to be!

Is there anything you would like added to the site?
I think it would be awesome if there were genre-related badges!

GTN on Facebook
congrats on getting member of the month.
Yaaaay! Congrats on Member of the Month!
This was a great read! You didn't cover where you moved from, though? Curious minds want to know! :-) Congrats on MotM!
Congrats on making MotM Adorabear! And I fully agree on Lost Odyssey, such a great game.
Congrats and welcome to the MotM club! Good read, I can't believe you were playing Gameboy at 2-3, boy does that make me feel old. Clearly I'm old enough to be your father *sigh*
Congratulations on MoTM.
I guess you likely have seen the Marvel V. Capcom Infinite Collectors edition with those statues woo it looks sweet.
This was a great read! You didn't cover where you moved from, though? Curious minds want to know! :-) Congrats on MotM!
Originally Posted by jeffmomm
I just wanted to stop in and let you know, she's not being rude and purposely not answering. She's actually kind of busy at this time in her life...something about planning a wedding? Idk what that's all about, I keep trying to talk her out of it...lol. J/k I think it's great and very happy for her. I normally don't step in like this for people, but I know she's becoming a great member of this already great community and just wanted to put that out there, mainly because just getting these questions back from her was like pulling teeth...lol.. Anyway there you go.
I just wanted to stop in and let you know, she's not being rude and purposely not answering. She's actually kind of busy at this time in her life...something about planning a wedding? Idk what that's all about, I keep trying to talk her out of it...lol. J/k I think it's great and very happy for her. I normally don't step in like this for people, but I know she's becoming a great member of this already great community and just wanted to put that out there, mainly because just getting these questions back from her was like pulling teeth...lol.. Anyway there you go.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
lol No worries and thanks for the info! I figured she was busy or it wasn't my business. No judgment from me. :-)
Thanks, everyone! I am honoured to be picked Big Grin

Originally Posted by jeffmomm
I moved from the United States, more specifically a place called New Jersey. :P Moving was a pretty big deal since not only was it to another country, but to the other side of the continent as well. Coming here was a huge change for me too since Vancouver is like the polar opposite of where I came from; I lived in the northwestern part of NJ, which is extremely rural. I went from living in a town that only has an ice cream shop and a gas station in it and nothing nearby at all to being in a large city with everything in it and tons of different things all over the place. I absolutely love it here and am so glad I made the decision to come here! Big Grin

Congrats on making MotM Adorabear! And I fully agree on Lost Odyssey, such a great game.
Originally Posted by EddieM1974
Lost Odyssey is amazing! I really hope Mistwalker make another JRPG for the Xbox One or something. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were excellent, and I hope to see them make more great games in the future. Smile

Congrats and welcome to the MotM club! Good read, I can't believe you were playing Gameboy at 2-3, boy does that make me feel old. Clearly I'm old enough to be your father *sigh*
Originally Posted by Kaens
Sorry for making you feel old! D: Not sure how old you are, but it's possible.

Congratulations on MoTM.
I guess you likely have seen the Marvel V. Capcom Infinite Collectors edition with those statues woo it looks sweet.
Originally Posted by Homeless Messia
Yes, I have! The CE looks really nice, but I'm probably not going to get it since it's $250 here... that is a lot of money for one game! It doesn't help that new games tend to be really expensive here (usually around $80-90 now), so I may have to wait a while to get it. :/

Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Thanks for all of the kind words! Smile I've definitely been super busy thanks to the wedding and dealing with being sick a the same time, but that busy time will be ending soon since the wedding is next week now! Hooray! =D Also, apologies again for taking ages to answer the questions; I still feel really, really bad about it!
Very cool. I know NJ fairly well. I am from WI but lived in NJ for 4 years. I spent a year in Hackensack, where I met a girl from Philly who would become (and still is) my wife. We had a house in Rockaway for 3 years and our oldest child was born in Denville. We moved back to WI about 11 years ago, but we plan to make a trip to NJ this summer to show the kids where we used to live.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, and good luck with the citizenship process.
Wow someone who actually made good on thier promise to move out of the U.S if Trump became president...lol.. Sorry it was too easy...you know I'm just kidding.

Good luck with the wedding next week and I hope you feel better.
Thanks, everyone! I am honoured to be picked Big Grin

I moved from the United States, more specifically a place called New Jersey. :P Moving was a pretty big deal since not only was it to another country, but to the other side of the continent as well. Coming here was a huge change for me too since Vancouver is like the polar opposite of where I came from; I lived in the northwestern part of NJ, which is extremely rural. I went from living in a town that only has an ice cream shop and a gas station in it and nothing nearby at all to being in a large city with everything in it and tons of different things all over the place. I absolutely love it here and am so glad I made the decision to come here! Big Grin

Lost Odyssey is amazing! I really hope Mistwalker make another JRPG for the Xbox One or something. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were excellent, and I hope to see them make more great games in the future. Smile

Sorry for making you feel old! D: Not sure how old you are, but it's possible.

Yes, I have! The CE looks really nice, but I'm probably not going to get it since it's $250 here... that is a lot of money for one game! It doesn't help that new games tend to be really expensive here (usually around $80-90 now), so I may have to wait a while to get it. :/

Thanks for all of the kind words! Smile I've definitely been super busy thanks to the wedding and dealing with being sick a the same time, but that busy time will be ending soon since the wedding is next week now! Hooray! =D Also, apologies again for taking ages to answer the questions; I still feel really, really bad about it!
Originally Posted by Adorabear
Kaens is old. Like really old. I think he was born in the 70s.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account