Minecraft is Getting Some New Features

Gaming Chat

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

Mojang has detailed a host of new features coming to Minecraft.

During the Upcoming Features panel at Minecon 2015, Mojang spoke about several key areas the team aims to improve or add to. One of the big nuggets of info is the introduction of dual wielding. According to Mojang, players will be able to equip a second item in their left-hand, or, if the player happens to be left-handed, they’ll be able to use their leftie as their main-hand while dual wielding in the other.

A few examples were shown to elucidate how helpful dual wielding could be. One example sees the player holding a pickaxe in one hand and a stack of torches in the other, something that’s sure to be useful when digging out long, darkened corridors.

Although there wasn’t an accompanying video to show this one off, a future update will also add shields to the player’s arsenal.

If you’re a long-range player, Mojang hasn’t forgotten about you – also shown were enchanted arrows. However, the team is keen to balance the arrows out before a full list of what to expect is revealed. Imagine a poison arrow: one arrow would leave the user with only half a heart left, which while super-effective, Mojang says it “Wouldn’t be fun.”

Other arrow types mentioned include a spectral arrowhead and a glow arrow, the latter of which paints the enemy for a short time so the shooter can track their whereabouts. In a similar vein, the UI is set to receive a Buff Bar in the top right corner of the screen. The top row shows positive buffs – regen, swiftness, etc. – while the bottom row displays negative effects – burning, slowness, and so on.

The other big news to come out of the panel is The End is getting a makeover of sorts. For a start The End will no longer just be one island. Instead, it’s going to be a fully-fledged area like The Nether, with many islands and “more things to find.” Where the new area differs drastically to The Nether is how the player traverses certain areas in its new dungeon.

End City may feature conventional ladders, but some areas require parkour skills to reach the top. If you’re not much cop at parkour don’t worry, a new enemy may be able to help you out. Shullker (shell-lurker), a new enemy type that resembles a block, opens up and shoots out wisp-like projectiles. If hit by said projectiles, the player is levitated into the air. For reaching End City’s higher points, it’s a blessing. But if you’re out in the open, the fall damage is a curse.

The Ender Dragon, too, is seeing some changes. Mojang deemed the PC version of the final boss “not a fight,” so expect an update to bring the dragon’s mechanics in line with the console version. Furthermore, players will be able to craft ender crystals, which when placed on the Ender Dragon’s pillars, respawn the brute. You won’t be able to loot a second Ender egg, but you can grind for new ingredients, and, curiously, something to do with the dragon’s “breath.” Whatever that means…

To reach the new End areas, players will need to create a different type of portal called the End Gateway (which internally was originally known as the “End Portal Portal”). Details weren’t released about how it’s made, but the portal itself is only one-block in height and width, so good luck working out how to get in there (Ender pearls?).

As well, Pocket Edition players are also set to receive some hefty updates in the hopes of bringing the mobile version even more in line with its console and PC counterparts. Hunger and XP bars will be coming in a future update, as will anvils, controller support, and the ability to move the UI around. That’s in addition to The Nether, ocelots, dynamic weather, cobblestone, redstone, along with sprinting and crouch functionality.

Source: Ign.com
Yay! After the update last weekend, it's been fun to play
Yay! After the update last weekend, it's been fun to play
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Any of the new stuff mentioned incorporated yet? Most importantly, do you still need help?
Gotta keep updating now that lego minecraft is coming and DQ Builders
any new achievements? or just features?
Originally Posted by saltyfawn508137
Just features I doubt they will add any achievements unless they unleash dlc with achievements.
Any of the new stuff mentioned incorporated yet? Most importantly, do you still need help?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Yes I do still need assistance one of these days. I still have yet to do any Nether stuff. My son plays it mostly, and he's been raving about the changes this update had. I'm excited for the duel wielding, but that's not out yet, The ability to control the environment more when doing creative stuff is really cool, and on-the-fly difficulty changes helps in the harder stuff.

I need to get my guy going again. Too busy playing Kinect stuff Wink lol
Gotta keep updating now that lego minecraft is coming and DQ Builders
Originally Posted by StingX2
LEGO Minecraft? Is that a joke or a skin theme? Or is that a whole new game?
I certainly hope so porsch.. I think LEGO Mincraft game would just be a little... redundant?
I certainly hope so porsch.. I think LEGO Mincraft game would just be a little... redundant?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
In so many, many ways. In fact, I describe Minecraft to friends as a digital legos. So Minecraft Lego would be a digital digital lego lego. Or something.
It's too bad the consoles won't likely get any of the mods some of those are amazing and would be great additions to anyone who thinks minecraft is boring.
other than going for achievements, I built 1 evil temple, an did grunt work for massive words done by DestructiveBurn. all can be seen on his YouTube Chanel.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account