How YOU can make any webpage editable

Tech & Electronics

Found 11 posts - Go to Last Post

I was reading reddit today and came across this dandy link. Did you know that you can make any webpage editable? A built-in editor becomes active with a simple copy and paste code within Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera.

I never knew about the code and I thought it was pretty handy for inline noting, writing papers and the like. Just simply navigate to the webpage you would like to edit and type the following code into your web browser's address bar:

Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true';
document.designMode='on'; void 0
Source and much lovin': Blogstorm Article
That's awesome! Now I can pretend to re-name Google to LeeMulvey.com and pretend I'm popular Frown
Lee.... that's kind of gay, man...

Big Grin
There's nothing wrong with that, man. :afro:

The company I work at has a one man IT team and an outsourced web development team (a horrible one at that.. they don't know what Firefox is..) so I think I am going to have a lot of fun tricking them. Yes, that's right folks -- I am evil. Big Grin
There's nothing wrong with that, man. :afro:

The company I work at has a one man IT team and an outsourced web development team (a horrible one at that.. they don't know what Firefox is..) so I think I am going to have a lot of fun tricking them. Yes, that's right folks -- I am evil. Big Grin
Originally Posted by Eric
Oh god, a company running IE6 only, right? Bleh. Keeping up with backwards compatibility drives me insane. Still awaiting the call to the end-of-life for that browser. I shudder every time CSS wants to be interpreted differently in IE6 versus Firefox (2 or 3) or even Safari. Floats mainly. Fixed height pages drive me nuts too. Unless your element ABSOLUTELY needs to be 250px high (eg. for absolute positioning or because of background elements [..hopefully]) then there is no need for it!!! IE6 will throw it all out of whack. Not only that but it doesn't see z-index correctly either. Oh and go ahead and name a private variable in Javascript called "class" and watch what IE6 does! Simple things like that can lead to failure on that browser. AND don't even get me started on transparent PNG images in IE6...
Oh god, a company running IE6 only, right? Bleh. Keeping up with backwards compatibility drives me insane. Still awaiting the call to the end-of-life for that browser. I shudder every time CSS wants to be interpreted differently in IE6 versus Firefox (2 or 3) or even Safari. Floats mainly. Fixed height pages drive me nuts too. Unless your element ABSOLUTELY needs to be 250px high (eg. for absolute positioning or because of background elements [..hopefully]) then there is no need for it!!! IE6 will throw it all out of whack. Not only that but it doesn't see z-index correctly either. Oh and go ahead and name a private variable in Javascript called "class" and watch what IE6 does! Simple things like that can lead to failure on that browser. AND don't even get me started on transparent PNG images in IE6...
Originally Posted by Anthony
Amen to everything above, Anthony. IE6 is a web developer's nightmare to say the least. While I'm not forced to use IE6, they do want us to use IE7 since they believe it's more compatible and trustworthy than the Firefox browser. Thank God for thumbdrives and this handy website. I keep my 'Fox on a stick, dude. Smile
Thanks man that site is cool. I will be sure to use it a lot.

**Im talking about the site in eric's last post.**
Thanks man that site is cool. I will be sure to use it a lot.

**Im talking about the site in eric's last post.**
Originally Posted by Autonamus
Sure thing man. PortableApps.com makes coding (Notepad++) and communicating (Pidgin) much easier too. A blog I read pointed me to their website and I've made good use of it. Smile
I use a couple different editors in my development kit. Personally I enjoy Zend Studio for PHP/HTML/Javascript and I use Notepad++ for SQL files and other random text docs. I remember writing PHP on PHPEd back in the day (when it was free). haha

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account