I'm sure I'm not alone

Gaming Chat

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

When I say SE has really gone down in terms of creating games that are a real hit. Lately it just seems like they've been putting nothing but eyecandy in their games or not even seem like they're trying to make a decent story.

Drakengard was a horribly medicore series, 'nuff said. Only reason I bought it was because of the designs featured in it when I was a more shallow gamer.

I'm pretty upset with SE after Crisis Core and Final Fantasy XII, though. Crisis Core was just used for lining people's pockets with money, and the only significant thing about the entire game were three characters and Zack's story, as far as I'm concerned. the soundtrack was nice, though.

playing XII reminded me a lot of Crisis Core as well. It always felt like you were trapped inside a dungeon if you weren't inside town. It was a really rude awakening to gamers that didn't like straightforward stories, too.

The absolutely pathetic amount of character development also really got on my tits, too, because the minute you meet Balthier he's being an ass-pirate, then 20 or so hours later into the game, he's giving the Strahl to Vaan if anything 'untoward' should happen to him.

It just irritated me to no end. He should've just stayed an ass-pirate so he could supply me with laughter so I could get over how much I despise straightforward stories. >=(

Though, I don't consider Final Fantasy XII to be a complete pile of poo. I think the combat system was definitely a success, as well as the equipment system and license board. But I didn't really enjoy anything at all besides that, with the exception of Vayne and Doctor Cid.

I don't think it would've been too horrible to add more interaction between the characters. =\

thoughts?
Yeah, but if you remember, Balthier nicks the Strahl back. Besides, I think Square have been putting all their efforts into the Nova Crystallis Fabula series. It shows.

FFXII was good in terms of the fact they tried a new story. Not the whole "huge monster threatening the world", but a more serious, political situation, where no extent is spared to show the brutality of war and the bloodshed, yet also shows that an empire cannot be judged by it's people, as I noticed many of the guards in FFXII spoke kindly to Van, adressing him as "Lad". I dunno, I personally think they were too adventurous in terms of story, and that led to a downfall in character development. I also definitely think FFXII was shortchanged by it's platforming. PS2? I think it should have really been a PS3 game, then they could have maximised graphical potantial, and allowed for a longer game, hence allowing more character fleshing. Sometimes all you need is an extra hour to make your characters seem alive.
I remember the days when Final Fantasy only released in sequential order. Since the Square-Enix merger, I've noticed a big change in terms of the series as a whole. I think you're absolutely right when you claimed Square-Enix has released these games (Crisis Core namely) for money to be lined in their pockets. Squaresoft created Final Fantasy VII and now they decide to bank off of the absolutely phenomenal game by releasing sub-par titles a decade later.. That's just not right.

Once Squaresoft became Square-Enix is quickly became a matter of quantity over quality. How many Final Fantasy games have come out since the merger? I'd guess the number is larger than all of Squaresoft's years combined.

Nonetheless, I am still excited about Final Fantasy XIII. I'm afraid that my faith to the Final Fantasy series will be crushed if Square-Enix disappoints me yet again.
I never got a good look at XII but all the re releases of the original titles are beginning to get to me, it just seems useless. The new ones on PSP seem to be doing alright though but...i dont have a PSP to judge them on. Hopefully XIII will take me back to the good old days i had with VIII and X.
Yeah, I hope so too. However, that said, I found Crisis Core to be a brilliant Game. I LOVED it, and I'll be playing it over and over, that I know. However, I do think Square Enix did a great job with the Kingdom Hearts Series, and I'm very "stoked" about the next trio of games in the series.
Yeah, but if you remember, Balthier nicks the Strahl back.
Originally Posted by Killak
dammit, i haven't beaten the game yet >.<

xD

FFXII was good in terms of the fact they tried a new story. Not the whole "huge monster threatening the world", but a more serious, political situation, where no extent is spared to show the brutality of war and the bloodshed, yet also shows that an empire cannot be judged by it's people
if i recall correctly, Final Fantasy Tactics was a game with a story that was very politically focused. As far as spinoffs go, I personally believe that Final Fantasy Tactics should have been a mothership title instead of a spinoff. The game was an absolute masterpiece, but was overshadowed by the massive pile of crap which is the FFVII compilation. D:

I dunno, I personally think they were too adventurous in terms of story, and that led to a downfall in character development. I also definitely think FFXII was shortchanged by it's platforming. PS2? I think it should have really been a PS3 game, then they could have maximised graphical potantial, and allowed for a longer game, hence allowing more character fleshing. Sometimes all you need is an extra hour to make your characters seem alive.
*is a PS3 hater*

as much as I disapprove of anything outside of gameplay in regard to Final Fantasy XII, I would have never even considered looking at it if it was on PS3. xD

I remember the days when Final Fantasy only released in sequential order. Since the Square-Enix merger, I've noticed a big change in terms of the series as a whole. I think you're absolutely right when you claimed Square-Enix has released these games (Crisis Core namely) for money to be lined in their pockets.
Originally Posted by Eric
I know, right? With Crisis Core's release, it all just became very crystal clear to me. The game lasts 18 hours, the game isn't even challenging unless you have it on hard mode, which then becomes ridiculous, the battle system is a complete ripoff of Kingdom Hearts, no world map, repetitive dungeons, quite a few number of completely unnecessary FMVs.... the list of things wrong just goes on and on.

I was just so disappointed that something they spent quite a few years on just dried up in 18 short hours.

though I enjoyed playing the game when I got it, I was pretty well pissed that I paid 40 USD for it when I could've bought a better game for half that price. >=(
Fair enough. I wasn't comparing Crisis Core in terms of a final fantasy, but as a PSP game. I just think it deserves credit for making the PSP much more enjoyable. Games like Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core really made the PSP shine and show it's potential both graphically and in terms of game length.

And I don't necessarily mean FFXII would have been better on PS3 ONLY, to say the least. Any next gen would have done, like the 360, or even on high spec PCs. Just a way to make the game graphically impressive and to flesh out the story more, as well as allowing for a more fluid game. The PS2 was too hard pressed to take FFXII, with frequent loading screens and a lot of pop up.

It should have been next gen. Simple.
well so far the new FF games on PSP are whats making that console tick. I dont know if its just my ignorance but even with all the DS and PSP hardware moved and sold there aren't too many new games for them. E3 was pretty quiet on that fromt.
yeah, and the one thing I like about the PSP is that the games give you the software updates, while with the PS3, you have a lengthy download to look forward to, followed by an installation, rather than simply a rapid installation like on the PSP.

That's something Sony might want to consider integrating. So both are possible. Download AND game carrying updates.
Fair enough. I wasn't comparing Crisis Core in terms of a final fantasy, but as a PSP game. I just think it deserves credit for making the PSP much more enjoyable. Games like Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core really made the PSP shine and show it's potential both graphically and in terms of game length.
yeah, Crisis Core wasn't that great, but it is, admittedly, one of the best games you can get for PSP in terms of gameplay. I'd suggest Tales of the World, though. but only if you're looking for gameplay value in an RPG.

yeah, and the one thing I like about the PSP is that the games give you the software updates, while with the PS3, you have a lengthy download to look forward to, followed by an installation, rather than simply a rapid installation like on the PSP.
the irony in that is anyone who doesn't care about illegally downloading stuff and has pandora's battery and custom firmware on their PSP don't even use the firmware updates for the PSP. xD
But many gamers feel that they have to stay in the law due to the whole "invasion of privacy" encouraged by the british government. They're encouraging ALL internet providers to search the browsing activity of their clients, and after illegal activity occurs, they're account is removed and blacklisted.
Profits are down,s ot ehir relying on sure sellers and rehased formulas, possibly leading to a downward spiral.
But to be fair, they did give us The World Ends With You
Yeah. That really plays with your head. Having to control two screens of combat at once is no easy feat, and after almost every battle, you feel tired and challenged. It's ridiculous how much of a rollercoaster ride that game is.

And besides, I don't like this idea of people thinking all games companies have some sort of moral fibre and the whole, "We make games just for people's enjoyment." IT's a sound business plan. Making superior games leads to superior sales. Hence people like Bethseda Softworks succeeding. Besides that company, I can only see the Kojima Team, or maybe Mistwalker, in terms of making Games for passion's sake. In the end, money is needed to make Games, and in order to put food on the table of the workers involved.

As long as spinoffs have quality to them, I would love to see them. If they rounded the story nicely, fine. For example, Dirge of Cerberus. Not a good game for much. Except Maybe fan service.

Crisis Core. I found brilliant, a feat of magic to place it on the PSP successfully. As well, spinoffs like the Tactics Advanced Games are pretty awesome too. The Grand Majority of Games by square are a cut above even the best offerings by other Games companies. In fact, the ONLY game that I'm looking forward too besides Star Ocean 4 and FFXIII,is probably The Elder Scrolls 5. And even then, I might still be playing SO4 again and again. I still play SO3, for crying out loud!

Some games in square are bound to rub people the wrong way, sure, but in the end, all their Games have a universal high quality and sheen that other Games lack, even if it isn't up to an individual's taste. Even FFX-2 (That people badmouth constantly), I thoroughly enjoyed, and still play to this day, along with it's predecessor, FFX (Which, in all fairness was Squaresoft).

All in all, I'd rather pick up a SE game than games by other companies.

(The Last Remnant was horrible, though, I'l admit. Story, bad. Battle system, shoddy. Good idea, but badly performed.)

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account